Post Thanks / Like

Pricing and checklist

This is the pricelist and the checklist that the shop I work at uses. Its very interesting. I figured I`d post it for reference for anyone looking for ways to charge. This shop is actually very low priced. The manager is the one who has the final say on how much to charge and he does a terrible job in estimating how much time it is going to take. My advice would be to always charge what the job is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the pricelist. That checklist is printed on the back. These are mostly for internal use.

Post Thanks / Like
    They also have a very interesting way to post their engine disclaimer in the shop. Behind the desk on the wall they have a sign that says something to the effect of:

"Steam cleaning your engine requires the use of water. While every precaution is taken to protect your engine from damage, we will not be held responsible for damage which occurs while steam cleaning your engine."

I thought that was a very effective way of posting the disclaimer for engine detailing. No other mention is made of the disclaimer to the customers. It is very visible and well posted and if the customer doesn`t see it, then that is their fault. Its just like when you try to get out of a speeding ticket because you didn`t see the speed limit sign posted. The fact that it can be proven that it exists is good enough to bind you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a better view of the disclaimer on the bottom of the price list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the the checklist.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jngr:
    While I am not a professional detailer, I have had some business world experience and I think one of the problems you had/will have at that shop is that they don`t charge enough to allow a decent hourly rate for their employees.
    The price list has an hourly rate of $39.95 per hour. If you are receiving 25% of that, it`s less than $10 an hour. You sure can`t make enough money to raise a family, own a home and car at $10 an hour.
    Their price list doesn`t seem to be too far off for a one man mobile operation, but it sure doesn`t leave much room for overhead.
    $130 to $150 for their complete(?) detail isn`t too far off since it doesn`t call for any oxidation removal, swirl removal or polishing. If you add another 1 to 1-1/2 hours for polishing at $40 an hour, the price is getting up to the $175 to $200 range.
    Seems like their complete detail is pretty basic.
    The next problem would be whether or not there is enough dollars to pay the employee better and still pay the overhead and give the owner a return on his investment. I don`t personally think there is. :dunno
    It kind of looks to me that they are better off just hiring the $10 an hour help for their details. If you can`t make at least $20 an hour working for them, you are probably better off doing your part time thing. You will work lots less detailing hours, but given your experience and expertise, you can probably can do it at the $40 to $50 an hour rate.
    Like you said, it was a good learning experience.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles, that is exactly why I`m not going to work there full time anymore. They can`t afford to pay the detailer what the job is worth. His quality standards are just way too high to make the jobs fast. Those prices are more like what I would charge if I was doing the job by myself. His priced didn`t inflate for overhead and all that fun stuff. I have always based my prices on a $35-$40 per hour rate. That has always been what I have felt is fair.

Thread Information