Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally sold out...

I kind of feel a little bad about this. I just sold out and took a job at a detail shop. I`m just not too happy at the firm I am working at right now and as long as I was looking for another job, I figured I might as well find one that I like. Durring the summer I spend all day indoors day dreaming about detailing. Maybe now I will spend all day detailing dreaming about that air conditioned office. Somehow I doubt that....

I know I`d make more money if I quit my job and just detailed all day, but I would starve in the winter. So I am working for about half what I would normally make detailing cars, but at least I won`t starve in the winter. Because of my experience, the owner is giving me first pick of the cars when they come in. So all the high dollar details will go to me first and the washes go to the college kids. I told him this is what I want to retire doing and he was happy to hear that. I wouldn`t doubt that I will be managing the shop at least part of the time very soon.

The place I am working at now specializes in high end cars. My interview consisted of polishing out a stretched `94 Fleetwood limo. It was a black repaint job and was none too pretty. It worked out so well that I had some room to negotiate today I think. I`m going to be bringing home about a grand more a month that I am doing presently at the law firm. I have to say that I am really looking forward to it. the downside is that I won`t have as much time to spend online. I am going to miss reading all your posts and learning as much as I have learned while I am at work. Now I get the chance to really put the things I have learned to good use. I`ll do ya all proud!

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck !!!

Jngrbrdman

When you are doing what you love you will no doubt be successful at it. When you open up your own shop in the future, you will really see the success of your passion !!!

I am in the reverse situation. I`ll PM you the details.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the new job. You are one of the most knowledgable detailers on here so a law firm is NOT where you belong! I wish you the best of luck at your new job. Don`t forget to stop on here from time to time though, I might have some questions!!! lol JK. Seriously though, good luck!!!
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good deal!!! Hope it works out well for you!
    1998 Acura 3.0Cl - Clean, just how I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don;t forget the digital camera....Have a blast.......get a snow plow and plow in the winter!!!!
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! It`s great you are in a position where you are able to do this and I certainly wish you all the best in this new endeavor.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure if this a time for or can you really afford to take this kind of job?
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. I spoke to the owner and told him my situation. He said that there is no way he would allow me to dip back down below what I`m making now. So if worse comes to worse I`ll be making the same that I am now. That`s not too shabby of a deal. The other detailers there are averaging 36-40 thousand a year. Those are the ones who work year round. The rest of them just work in the summer and quit when school starts. I think this is a great opportunity. I just have a good feeling about it. Its a dangerous thing to put me in control of how much money I make. :naughty I`ll be out looking for cars to bring in if they don`t come in on their own.

There are other opportunities there as well. He doesn`t have a website or anything else techie around. I worked as an IT trainer for awhile and I have done graphic design for a couple years now. I know I can build him a website and get traffic to it. I know I can make some really good looking advertisments and other things to bring in business. He probably doesn`t have too many college graduates begging to get behind a buffer, but I`m a little nutty that way. :crazy I think it will be a really good opportunity for me. I`ve got a week of personal time that I am taking from the firm before I finally quit. I`ll work in the shop for that week and if it doesn`t work then I`ll just go back to the firm. I`ve got my bases covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the saying go? Find a job that you love and you`ll never work a day in your life. On the other hand don`t get hooked in a job early on the limits your earning potential to the point that you can`t have the type of life style you and your family desire.

Wow, I`m sounding pretty ancient here.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!! That`s a brave step... I wish I had the talent and courage to make that kind of leap. Your career move is very inspirational. Good luck and please try to keep the post coming; I still have tons to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats. hope to see you lots in the future!!! dont forget meeeeeeeeeeee.......

starving in the winter, i guess its something that us people in hawaii dont reallly think about...
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck man. I think thats awesome. who needs a law firm when you can stand around and smell carnuba all day. and as for a/c ahh a/c is over rated haha
    "you cant judge a car by its cover "

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you`re "selling out", as you put it! You`re going to be doing something you love and it sounds like stable work so you know you`ll be getting paid. Good luck!

Don't ever drop your clay kartoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you. Now you can do something you are good at and enjoy.
    Watch out for those kids swirling the cars while washing

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you dude. I quite a white collar job to detail full time. Best thing I`ve ever done!

Believe me, you will be thinking about that air conditioned office when its 97 degrees outside!
    It`s worth it though!

Jngrbrdman is now on the detailers excercise and conditioning program. Guaranteed to slim the waist and build your forearms!
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information