Post Thanks / Like

Just got a new Milwaukee rotary

I just picked up a brand new Milwaukee 5540 rotary today. After many months of thinking about it I decided to take the plunge. Now all I need are some pads. Maybe a vehicle too

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats OI812. I played around with one (I think it`s the same model number too) over the weekend. I ended up going with the Makita (but they are made by the same company). I have the Edge 2000 pads and absolutely love them. Just ordered an Edge wool pad today for the rotary, so we`ll see how those run. The Meguiar`s video is a great place to start learning the basics.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nickc0844, since I can get Meg`s pads locally I probably will pick up a few of those for the time being. I thinking the Edge pads will be the way to go. For the time being it will have to be Meg`s, and that brings me to my next ? How do the Meg`s pads center, because I don`t remember them having a hole in the center for centering.

Post Thanks / Like
    They don`t, and that is the problem. It is so easy for them to get miscentered, and then your causing even more problems.

But seriously, how much can you get Meg`s for. They are probably still $10 or so, where as you can get 2 edge pads for less than $20. If you buy 2 pads, you get the $18 adapter for FREE! The foam is of better quality also, and you have more texture options. It took me a while to realize this, but I`m glad I`m with Edge now. Just some food for thought.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    The Edge pads are the way to go . Like Nick said , your getting 2 pads in one . The foam is better quality and if you take care of the pads I`d bet you they last longer then any others on the market. Your gonna really like the Wool pads with the build in wear indicator not to mention the combos of wool & foam you can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same rotary. I use a variety of pads including meguairs as well as THE EDGE, I would recommend starting out with the 6.5" meguiars pads with the W64 BP. The smaller pads make controlling the rotary SO much easier. If you already have a PC and the smaller pads it is definitely the way to go. Good luck!
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Nickc0844, I plan on going to the Edge. That will take about a week to get the pads. I`m ready to pea my pants I want to try it out so bad. About like a kid in a candy store. I know where I can get 3M or Milwaukee pads. They are alittle more price, but just a couple of pads would get me by.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    I use the same rotary. I use a variety of pads including meguairs as well as THE EDGE, I would recommend starting out with the 6.5" meguiars pads with the W64 BP. The smaller pads make controlling the rotary SO much easier. If you already have a PC and the smaller pads it is definitely the way to go. Good luck!
    I solved both issues and use their 2000DA 6" pads with my rotary. I think it works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    I agree ... start with the smaller pads as they are easier to control and they create less heat.
    Another reason to go the edge route one adapter to fit either size pad. I actually made my own 5" velcro backing plate for my rotary by cutting down a backing plate from Meguiars soft buff pad that has the pad glued to the backing plate.
    The hardest part was getting all the glue off.
    I used industrial velcro with the adhesive back.
    Works great.

Thread Information