Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todays Detail`s

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino...

It still does not correct paint defects. Some customers (especially dealers) will pay you to remove scratches, swirls, and other minor imperfections in the paint (both single stage and clearcoated) prior to adding the protection of a sealant or wax.

What will you used in place of Zaino if you come across a mid 1980`s single stage paint with moderate scratches and swirls. Even a newer clearcoated car that has been abused will not be adequately corrected enough by a Zaino type product. As for filling... I have yet to see a product adequately fill swirls that lasts more than 2 hand washes.

I was recently hired to correct the paint on a 2003 VW Jetta that was incorrectly hand compounded by the owners father. It would have been impossible to cover/fill the scratches created by the harsh abrasives used on this car. A glaze could not have hidden these scratches, and I could not imagine any amount of layers of Zaino having any affect at all on this type of damage.

I hate to sound like a Zaino basher, but I am of the opinion that a exterior detailing should strive to correct, prior to protecting. I do not doubt that Zaino has great protective qualities, but it seams that its use could only be limited to paint that is free of any real defects other than mild oxidation and swirls.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Example...

Here is some black paint from a 1995 E 300 Diesel that required some "cutting" prior to protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Example #2...

Here is an example of some extreme paint correction. One of the best before and afters I have ever seen !!!! Bar none !!!

Stainbuster`s vette...

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...ighlight=vette
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheSopranos16
    I also use Zaino from time to time and I must say I like the product. In general, I don`t think most people on DC like it, but I think its an underrated product.
    I think you will find most people here who use Zaino do like it....

I would like you to find the posts that say people here do not like Zaino...

What we don;t like are Zaino fanatics who say that product is the best and if you don;t use it your an idiot...
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like

JeffBruce

I agree that Zaino can have its place in the professional detailers arsenal, but it is a one step wipe on wipe off product and has its limitations. If I could use it on every car I detailed, I would gladly sell my rotary buffers and PCs tomorrow, and save my back and forearms a lot of work.

The use of Zaino just seems to eliminate the paint correction phase of the detailing process. If I were paying $150 - $300 to have my car detailed I would want the paint thoroughly cleaned and corrected, prior to protection.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    To me Zaino is nothing more then a sealent. I honestly never would use a product that hides swirls. Zaino is good to top after you have your paint properly prepped.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: JeffBruce

Originally posted by Clean Dean
    I agree that Zaino can have its place in the professional detailers arsenal, but it is a one step wipe on wipe off product and has its limitations. If I could use it on every car I detailed, I would gladly sell my rotary buffers and PCs tomorrow, and save my back and forearms a lot of work.

The use of Zaino just seems to eliminate the paint correction phase of the detailing process. If I were paying $150 - $300 to have my car detailed I would want the paint thoroughly cleaned and corrected, prior to protection.
    But, you know what you are doing and what to look for. A lot of customers don`t know the difference between a "removed" swirl and a "filled" swirl. Many think it`s an inevitable fact of life in regards to paint. Look how many customers (and even some DIY`ers that think they done a "good" job.

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    nice website, and nice details

please explain your "11 step wax treatment".

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2drtahoez71
    nice website, and nice details

please explain your "11 step wax treatment".
    Z6 spray between coats of z2 and z5 is considered a step and i like to give more than one "layer" of Z6 before and after the last coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JeffBruce
    I think you will find most people here who use Zaino do like it....

I would like you to find the posts that say people here do not like Zaino...

What we don;t like are Zaino fanatics who say that product is the best and if you don;t use it your an idiot...
    jeff
    I guess, "don`t like" was a stretch. But many people do complain about Zaino, saying that it is hard to use and that it has a plastic look to it. I just feel that many people overlook how durable it is and how well it protects the paint.

Also, I agree with you about the fanatics. Some people take it too far and are very closed minded about Zaino. They just don`t consider any other products. In the end, they are just missing out on some of the other great products out there.

It still does not correct paint defects. Some customers (especially dealers) will pay you to remove scratches, swirls, and other minor imperfections in the paint (both single stage and clearcoated) prior to adding the protection of a sealant or wax.
    How is this different from any other paint sealent such as UPP or EX-P? Zaino requires swirl mark correction just like any other product.
    Last edited by TheSopranos16; 07-05-2004 at 07:28 PM.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember that i am doing everything by hand at the customers request. I tell my customers that using a pc will remove paint defects (if there are any) and they dont seem to care about paint defects. Most of the cars i do dont have paint defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Example #2...

Here is an example of some extreme paint correction. One of the best before and afters I have ever seen !!!! Bar none !!!

Stainbuster`s vette...

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...ighlight=vette
    Clean Dean --- YOU WERE RIGHT, THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A TRANSFORMATION ON THAT NEGLECTED VET. I SECOND YOU WHEN YOU SAID "One of the best before and afters I have ever seen !!!! Bar none!!!"
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Example #2...

Originally posted by foris2
    Clean Dean --- YOU WERE RIGHT, THAT WAS ONE HECK OF A TRANSFORMATION ON THAT NEGLECTED VET. I SECOND YOU WHEN YOU SAID "One of the best before and afters I have ever seen !!!! Bar none!!!"
    Yes, that vette is amazing. Absolutly one of the best before afters.

Post Thanks / Like
    How is this different from any other paint sealent such as UPP or EX-P? Zaino requires swirl mark correction just like any other product.
    ???

When I say "correction" I mean the removal of swirls and wash scratches through the use of abrasive cleaners. Quite a few Zaino users claim that Z5 and Z2 will fill the swirls, and I found that not to be the case. If I were looking to simply fill swirls and wash scratches I would use 3M Imperial hand glaze topped with a carnaubu wax.

It would not last very long but it would last long enough for me to cash that customers check and run. Not what most of us consider detailing.
    No buff to tuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information