Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still confused and probably will be all my life. Followed the link to the EPA`s website. Went to the NPS article (need to be able to read foreign language). Did a search on the article for car washing--hmmmmm nothing. So did a search on car --still nothing. Did a search on washing--still nothing. Did a search on grant--hmmmmmmmm a lot of hits. Grants to states that one came up a fair amount. Now we know what is driving it. State Aid. So I am thinking to myself, what does this have to do with car washing. So I went to FAQ. Ah--now we are getting some where this is from the EPA`S website.

Q: What is nonpoint source pollution?

A: Nonpoint source (NPS) pollution, unlike pollution from industrial and sewage treatment plants, comes from many diffuse sources. NPS pollution is caused by rainfall or snowmelt moving over and through the ground. As the runoff moves, it picks up and carries away natural and human-made pollutants, finally depositing them into lakes, rivers, wetlands, coastal waters, and even our underground sources of drinking water. These pollutants include:

Excess fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides from agricultural lands and residential areas;

Oil, grease, and toxic chemicals from urban runoff and energy production;

Sediment from improperly managed construction sites, crop and forest lands, and eroding streambanks;

Salt from irrigation practices and acid drainage from abandoned mines;

Bacteria and nutrients from livestock, pet wastes, and faulty septicsystems;

Atmospheric deposition and hydromodification are also sources of nonpoint source pollution.

No where does it mention car washing, however it does talk about runoff. This part is also from EPA`s website.

Q: What can we do about nonpoint source pollution?

A: We can all work together to reduce and prevent nonpoint source pollution. Some activities are federal responsibilities, such as ensuring that federal lands are properly managed to reduce soil erosion. Some are state responsibilities, for example, developing legislation to govern mining and logging, and to protect groundwater. Others are best handled locally, such as by zoning or erosion control ordinances. And each individual can play an important role by practicing conservation and by changing certain everyday habits.

So now I am really confused--Why is a state proposing to implent legislation on this order, of course state aid. Makes them look and feel good. Then I looked at the link a commerical car wash site-hmmmm you never see water in front of them at the street. Kiss my grits!!!! Is it more business for them if they can stop the average joe or small business. You bet. I say if this happens or goes into effect, we all get out our little digital cameras and photo the car washing sites. Of course you will want to get the river of water coming from there business out into the storm sewer. Bonus if you can get your representive in the picture at the car wash with his BMW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our current administration hasn`t exactly had a glowing record in regards to the environment. I don`t really see this law taking off for the average joe. Some car wash places may need to come up with water recovery solutions, but the driveway guy doesn`t have anything to worry about. The way my house was built way back when, all of my gutters and possily even my basement drain into the storm sewer. I`m not about to alter that.

Really, it isn`t anything to get worked up over.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    I better start stocking up on more Spray and Wipe
    Hey, it must be a conspiracy
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Lest anyone think..."

Stern Fan Charles?

Originally posted by CharlesW
    Lest anyone think this isn`t anything to worry about, remember what we thought about automobile pollution contols, OSHA, heck even income tax was just a temporary thing.
    Note that it covers basement water (sump pumps), and rain gutters as well. We can`t even complain that they are pickng on just the car washing.
    I do think the fact that it can be redirected to lawns will help. I`m sure there will be several types of dams available in short order.

Keep in mind that this has been a problem for Professional Mobile Detailers for some time. I think they even have to recapture the water and can`t even redirect it to a grassy area.

Charles

Professional Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this sponsored by the commercial car wash associations to stop people from washing their cars at home?
    Yes, Charles, this has been one of my longstanding "conspiracy" theories.

However, as a pro mobile tech myself, I`ve decided to invest in a reclaim system. They way I look at it, it`s a marketing tool as well. Push environmental awareness, charge a few more bucks, wash anywhere, possibly obtain accounts (city, county vehicles) that would require the use of reclaimed water.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas, right?

I live in SW Florida, and environmental issues, especially where water is concerned, are high on everyone`s list of priorities. Of over 35 other mobile detailers in my county, only 2 I know of are using reclaim.

Regards,
    Mike R.
    "Get That Great New Car Feeling"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dalton
    "Lest anyone think..."

Stern Fan Charles?
    Have to guess you mean Howard Stern.
    Actually, I have never watched his show. If whatever is on TV doesn`t have a ball or wheels, I don`t usually watch.
    I have been told I miss a lot of good stuff, but I think the crap I miss far outweighs it.
    "Lest anyone think" has been around a lot longer than Howard. From what I have heard about Howard, it will be around long after he isn`t.
    It is kind of a strange phrase, though. Don`t know why I used it. Just seemed to fit.

Charles

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like
    That has got to be the most un-reasonable pile of trash that I have managed to waste my eye movements upon in quite a long time.

Environmentalist left-wing radicals are at it again.

Honestly, the Earth has been through floods, volcano`s, earthquakes, galaciers,etc. It has even been bombarded with meteors.

Guess what, it`s still here.

Now, compared to what the earth has allready been through, what exactly can we do that will even remotely harm it worse than what is has allready seen?

I`d rather be jailed than bow to this level of un-reason.
    83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of areas are in the process of trying to preserve the "Water shed" I know in my area they are in the process of trying to pass a whole bill "The Highlands act" to but greater limits on just about everything from developing homes to washing your car in the drive way.

I guess now is the time to start offering self serve car washes!

In any event....laws are made and broken daily...untill a cop pulls into my drive way and tells me to stop or be fined...I will continue to wash my car and other cars in my drive way.

The government maybe protecting the population as a whole but Im personally protecting my assests by keeping a clean, well maintained car.

In the same breath .... I can`t wash my car in my drive way but.... they still don`t do anyting about the car driving in front of you puking out black smoke, or the bus that doesn`t even know what the word emissions is let alone what it means!

In the end the governtment in this country needs to worry more about other things than they do about people washing their cars! (god this stuff pisses me off!)

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe this will prompt the invention of EPA approved car wash that you can wash down the gutter. Hmmmm..... Maybe Mullet Wax should be the forerunner in that market. :naughty We could have the first EPA approved and only authorized car soap that can be washed down the gutter. $$$$$$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Below Reality

Honestly, the Earth has been through floods, volcano`s, earthquakes, galaciers,etc. It has even been bombarded with meteors.

Guess what, it`s still here.

AMEN!!!!

And it will be LONG after us humans are extinct
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll show them!!! I`m going to start dumping all my motor oil down the drain too!! Oh wait, I have a septic system, nevermind.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The earth is made to survive natural disasters. It`s the man made ones that the earth has a hard time dealing with. Saying that, this law is LUDICROUS. It`s just a way to create more revenue for the government. BTW I just finished washing my wife`s car and putting a 2nd coat of UPP on it.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Sup folks,
    I have been researching starting my own mobile detailing service and the issue of recollecting the water used during a wash has become an issue. In my county you must not let it run into a storm drain because of course this water makes its way into the local river system untreated. However, you CAN allow it to drain into the sanitary sewer system freely.

When I asked the local government agency what I should do, they suggested a couple of things

1) a device that is similar to a hose with holes in it that hooks to a suction device for collecting the water. They mentioned the name of the brand but I do not recall, as this is not my perferred method.

2) block the storm drain and pool the water beind a barrier and then pumping the water into a tank for collection and later disposal.

3) wash mats that collect water from washing a car so it can be pumped into a storage take.

When I asked the guy if I could simply dump the used water into the sanitary sewer and if they were clearly marked, he said I could dump into a known sanitary sewer, OR simply flush it down the toilet.
    I`m counter-strike Cal-I!

Post Thanks / Like
    Something else I shoud mention...

Im not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but my educational background includes a lot of work in Environmental Science. Basically Im about 1 semester from having a degree in ES and a minor in Biology.

Since I know we all have the internet here, I would like to suggest reading a little about phosphorus pollution or pollution associated with detergents. After you read a little about that search in google or any other engine for "dead zone" or "dead zone mississippi." Check that out for a bit and make sure to look at some pictures of the area affected by the dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi river.

Its not the dirt you wash off...its the nutrients found in the cleaners you use.

Again..I dont think we need to save every animal or tree, but there are some very serious problems that result from run off.
    I`m counter-strike Cal-I!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand the need to try to pollute as little as possible. The thing that gets me is, the very people that make these proposals and approve them are just as guilty. I would bet that none of these politicians and activists clean and/or detail their own vehicles, nor do they research companys that contain it. They want someone to do all their dirty work, could you imagine detailing one of these peoples vehicles and pulling it up onto the lawn, :bigscream that`ll go over real well nton (end rant)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information