Post Thanks / Like

Putting Multiple Layers

I`ve been thinking about putting multiple layers of a product, and I`m just not sure if its worth it. It seems to me that 1 layer is the point of deminishing returns. With each subsequent layer, the benefits continue to decrese. To give an extreme example, a car with 100 layers of UPP would probably look just as good, be just as well protected, and be protected for just as long as a car with 100 thousand layers. I also believe that it would be better to apply 1 coat of a sealent every week than to apply 3 coats every 3 weeks. I would think that there is only so much sealent that can stick to the paint at any given time, so the solvents in the sealer probably disolve just as much of the polymers as they put on when you add more layers. I bet this is even more true carnauba waxes than it is with sealents. The reason I bring this up is because I hear people talk all the time about putting 3+ layers of UPP or EX-P on their car and I just don`t know if its worth it or not. I would think that putting layers of differnt products might be worth it. For example, putting AIO, then UPP, then EX, then Souveran. At least that way, each product has different protectants and different solvents, so you are less likely to take off your previous layer with your new layer. Of corse, this is all theory. I am just trying to get a better understanding of how protectants work and whether or not layering them all at one time is a good idea. It could be that some of what I said is inaccurate. I am a knowledgable enthusiast, not a pro, so please correct me on whatever I am mistaken about. Perhaps Steve can help shed light on this subject since he has experience making products and probably knows a lot more about how they work then most of us. So what does everyone think of all this theory? Agree/Disagree? I hope all this makes sense!!! Its 330 in the morning as I write this and I can`t sleep so I thought I`d write some posts.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is late last fall I did a Winterization Program using UPP. I initially started out wanting to go the 10 layer route thanx to Jeff "The Multi-Layered T/S Man". His car looked absolutely breathtaking(IMHO). Well I liked the look of UPP on my car and I wanted winter protection that everyday I had a chance I put a layer on either mine or my wife`s car. Conservatively speaking after 18/21 coats on mine and 15/18 on hers I stopped. Not because I wanted to but because the weather prohibited me from adding more. In Feb. when I had a chance to wash the cars the salt and road grime just sheeted off my car. I can`t truthfully say that every coat made my car look better or different(unlike Jeff`s) but I can tell you I loved the way a fresh coat of UPP made my car look.
    "I`m staying out of it."

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There`s definately a breaking point with layering. The first two layers give you say 95% coverage and protection for `x` amount of time, each additional layer can only work closer to a theoretical 100% performance. Anyway, how do you really judge? rabbi`s cars may have come up clean with just 6/21 and 6/18 coats. Hard for your average joe to really quantify and see value in the additional layers unless they`re for effect ie: EX or Natty`s topped with EXP.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

after 2 initial coats I think you will have complete coverage ...using a topper every month or so will definitely be an advatage as it refreshes the shine and gives more protective ability....remember Rabbi, al those coats by you and Jeff were not put on day after day but over a longer period of time.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    True Steve. Some weeks I put on 2/4 coats other weeks maybe one. I did not put on all those in consecutive days.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not an expert, but I do feel qualified to speak to the issue of placebo effect. Basically, this is where you just simply feel better for having washed and put on another coat of sealant or wax. Everytime I wash the truck, I add another coat of wax, in the summer and sealant in the winter (no wax in the winter). Am I truly adding another layer? Am I truly increasing the protection? Well, this isn`t done day after day as Steve mentioned above, but it makes me feel good, does renew the shine, etc. and I`m happy!! I call it the placebo effect. It is at the very least that!
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Boss_429
    Personally, I believe there is a point of diminishing returns for just about all the products on the market. Paint can hold only so much "stuff"! However, if you wash once or twice, or even more frequently between coats, or QD often, you are removing some (or all) of that protective layer(s). Combine that with the fact that everyday exposure to the enviroment will also take it`s toll on the protective layer, and it`s easy to see why addtional coats bring the paint back to life. Of course, in those cases, you are not "layering" as much as you are "replenishing" the protective layer.

In the end, if it "floats your boat" ........................ layer away! It won`t hurt anything.

Thread Information