Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had this happen by someone who has asked on more than one occasion. This is a friend of my father`s and a person who really took advantage of me when I was a teenager. I agreed to put a fence up for them and after a week`s work ended up getting nothing out of the job (it`s been 25 years but I still remember). I know that they have no intention of paying anything for my work and they don`t take care of their car to begin with. This is a person who usually doesn`t have the time to say hi to me unless they need something. I just smile and say I can be had but I`m not cheap. The trick here is to do it without actually looking at the person (just keep working). When they realize that they may have to blow the cob webs off of their wallet they stop and think about what they may be asking. It doesn`t go any further than this.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 06-22-2004 at 06:51 PM.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I took the proactive approach to this problem today to get it all sorted out. I arranged for them to have their cars stolen. :naughty That is two less vehicles that I have to worry about detailing. (Insert wicked smiley here)

I think I`m just going to have to explain to them that i`ve got enough paying customers right now that I simply don`t have time for the freebies. If they want to make an appointment and get a quote then that would be cool, but I just don`t have the time right now. My priorities have shifted a bit since I moved into this house and I don`t have the tons of free time that I used to have.

I appreciate the advice and the stories. Its nice to know that its not just me. Sometimes I feel like I am just the nice guy that gets taken advantage of all the time. I try to be nice and do my good deed every now and then, but business is business. I can`t afford to give away the shop at the expense of losing other business or neglecting my boy. I would much rather be playing with my super genius baby than detailing a neighbor`s car for free.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    A "Business is Business" story. Pertains to buying parts from a friend that owns a motorcycle dealership.
    Me to friend: How much for that part?
    Friend to parts manager: What`s our cost on that?
    Parts manager: Cost?
    Friend: Yeah, cost.
    Parts manager: $50
    Friend to me: $50 + $5 for the freight.
    Parts manager: I said it cost $50
    Friend: Charles is a friend.
    Parts manager: (Very sarcastic tone) Don`t do much business with your enemies.

That exchange was 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.
    That parts manager was 100% right and I respected him for saying it. After my friend gave it some thought, he agreed with it, too.
    If you are in business, you really need to get some return for your time, product, and knowledge from everyone you do business with.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jingerbinger;

Maybe it`s my sparking personality, or boyish charm; but people hardly ever ask me for favors like that.

The last one that did, and this was years ago, got a "Are you out of your F****ng mind??!!" response. (I hardly ever use bad language, in spite of my unapproachable demeanor).

Try being a bit `less nice`. The word gets around.
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah that or ask them if you can call them at work so that they can come help you with some projects around your house:nono answer will of course be no and say well that`s what you`re asking me to do:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbors are cool, and usually offer to pay what I want, but I never charge them full price. I usually knock off $40. I even get my neighbor`s friend and relatives too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information