Thread: Rail Dust

Post Thanks / Like

Rail Dust

Ok so I go to do a detail yesterday, and it`s a 2003 White Expedition. And it`s just covered with the little orange rust spots that come from IFO and rail dust and what not. So I clay the vehicle, and then I decide to work least abrasive up. I tried all in one (just for kicks) and of course it didn`t do nothing. But I worked up to DACP and it still wouldn`t take out the rust.

I had to bust out the rotary and Meg`s #1 medium cut cleaner. But I was to nervous to bust it out on the thin edges or around windshield wipers and what not, so he wants me to find a way to clean up the rust spots that are in the spots I didn`t get with the rotary.

How do I do this? And also, since most of you use Porter Cables, why wasn`t I able to get the rust off with a PC? I was using DACP?

Do I need a rubbing compound?

It stinks too, cause this is an 80 dollar complete detail. I clayed, Meg`s #1 with rotary, All in one, SG. And complete interior. And the whole job is in vain and without full satisfaction because I have failed to fully remove all the rust spots. So any advice would help!!! I need to get the rust from the spots I couldn`t get with the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay didn`t do the trick? Usually that works if you use it like an eraser. You know.. just use it like you are seriously trying to erase those rust dots. They come off that way. Hmmmm.... You say you tried AIO? Sometimes abrasives aren`t going to do the trick. When you are cleaning something then you should use a cleaner. AIO has always worked well for me. If you don`t have any more (and I`m pretty sure you probably do) then you know where you can go to get some. I`ll only charge you half a bottle of Wofgang and a chunk of Souveran. Maybe give AIO another shot.

Something else that might work is to use a bit of ScratchX. I use ScratchX or GS27 to get paint swaps off and stuff like that. It has always worked really well on IFO rust dots. This is probably a job that is going to require to you use a towel and your hands. A machine is obviously not helping. Get some on the corner of a towel folded into quarters and give that a shot on each dot. It sucks, but in the absense of any success with anything else then I don`t know what else to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, thanks a ton. BEfore doing the detail yesterday I searched the archives for that great post you made on claying but could NOT find it. I was frustrated. I`d thought that after claying it was necessary to use a cleaner. My mistake. Thanks a ton. I`ll have to try taking some clay again, and scratch X and AIO. See if I can`t clean it up with some of those.

I think if I use my hand instead of the machine it`ll make the difference. The rotary was able to take care of it, but for those corners and hard to reach areas looks like I`ll need some hand power.

As always, thank you anthony. can`t wait for my wolfgang goodies to get here.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    try <www.autoint.com>, and their ABC system - it`s an acid wash to remove the blooming particulates.
    forrest

Thread Information