Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Porter Cable 7424 Polisher

I`m 15 years old and I`m detailing cars all this summer. I`ve been doing it for a while now and when I wax I`ve always done it by hand. I`m tired of doing that b/c it takes forever and I have a lot of people wanting me to wax their vehicle! I was looking at PC`s and I think I`m going to get one, I was looking at the Porter Cable 7424 Polisher. Would that be a good one to get for someone who has never used one before or is there another model I should consider? One of my neighbors wants me to wax his Lexus, I washed it the other weekend and it had tons of swirls and scratches. Would a PC work those all out w/ the right supplies? Your comments and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by Cam07; 06-04-2004 at 10:12 PM.
    Cameron`s Auto Detail

"Love the Lord God almighty with all your heart, soul, mind and strength"

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    PC 7424 is pretty easy to use and a good choice.

PC great for polishes that remove swirls and minor scratches. OK for wax application. I still prefer to polish and wax by hand. I`ve tried the PC with a MF bonnet for wax removal and it seems to give the finish some extra pop versus hand removal. Hand application allows for easier application to hard to reach places for the PC. In that you can start on one side then move around the vehicle and not bypass areas the PC can`t reach.

I use one brand for all my products so I can only comment on that brand. I was a skeptic about removing paint defects with a PC and product. Until today. A friend of mine had a few scratches on the trunk of his car. Across the whole lid. He then used rubbing compound to remove and left buffing swirls. He let me try my products to try to remove the swirls. After 2 passes the swirls were gone and I had even removed some of the parts of the scratch. I`m now a believer in the PC removing defects rather than simply filling scratches.

With the right products you can get some amazing results with the PC. I`d still apply wax by hand though. Seems quicker to me.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    A PC will only temporarily remove swirls. The first time I used mine I was amazed at the fact that my swirls were gone - and then it rained all week. Now I`m not so amazed. IMO a PC is good for applying products that will fill swirls, but to remove them you need a rotary.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3:5

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a PC and am very pleased with it. It is great to use and easy, especially for a beginner.
    -97 Chevy Blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    7424 or 7336 are good models, different # but both the same.

I`ve removed plenty of swirls with the PC. I`ve gotten good results with the 1Z, and SSR line of polishes. Get at least 2 of each type of pad.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jason rawls
    A PC will only temporarily remove swirls. The first time I used mine I was amazed at the fact that my swirls were gone - and then it rained all week. Now I`m not so amazed. IMO a PC is good for applying products that will fill swirls, but to remove them you need a rotary.
    What products did you use??

As I mentioned I too was a skeptic until yesterday. We even used rubbing alcohol on the trunk lid to remove any possible fillers. Scratches and swirls still gone. Maybe the alcohol won`t remove polish, just removes wax I`m not sure.. That`s what a local paint store said to try, to verify swirls were indeed removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the PC should be able to correct about 95% of paint imperfections. However, a rotary in the right hands can cut the time in half or better. But it does take some getting used to. I would recommend the PC first to get accustomed to a power tool in your hands.

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I had really good luck using my PC and SSR3 to remove swirls and scratches (and I had some pretty bad scratches). I followed SSR3 with DACP and SSR1. I also used `ScratchX` on some of the more difficult scratches.

I agree with all who say that the PC is a pretty good all-purpose tool!! - and a lot safer than a rotary.
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Post Thanks / Like
    Well.....Saturday I bought me a Porter Cable and then Sunday I bought me a Bissell Little Green Machine w/ Pro Heat and a Pro Scrubing Brush. So I`m all set for the summer. I tried both of them on my mom`s Yukon and they both work wonderful. I waxed her car in no time, I`m shocked at how much time the PC saves me! I would definetly recommend them both to anybody. I`ve got all the stuff now I needed, all I need is the people now. LOL Thanks for your comments!
    Cameron`s Auto Detail

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the purchase!

Did you use any swirl remover or did you use the PC for wax only?

How did you like the Bissell?

Where can one get the bissell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cam07 . . . go to: BetterCarCare.com and read David`s article on the PC 7424. Very helpful. Basically, it says it all !

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC. I used it for the first time and the car looked great. I still have swirls marks and scratches. I still think I made a good choice on getting the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jason rawls
    I disagree with you completely, with the right pad, products and patients you can remove some nasty swirls.

Here are some heavy swirls I removed with a PC. I know they were removed and not covered because I used products with no fillers or oils.

Before:

After:

before:

after:

Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable & Bissell Little Green Machine

Originally posted by scrub
    Congrats on the purchase!

Did you use any swirl remover or did you use the PC for wax only?

How did you like the Bissell?

Where can one get the bissell?

I just used it for wax today on my mom`s car, but i`m going to get some different pads incase I get a car that has lots of swirls.

I love the Bissell, I was so surprised what it got up and the results I had. The carpet looks almost brand new(it does have 67K miles) so you can`t get up everything. The only thing is I wish the hose was just a little bit longer, but other than that it`s great!

I picked mine up at Lowes. I think you can also get them at like Sears, Target, and Wal-Mart. Most places that sell vacuums have them I think.
    Cameron`s Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhh yeah.....I forgot....Does anyone know where to get a Dual-Action, 6.5" Orange Cutting Pad, a Dual-Action, 6.5" Grey Finishing Pad, and a MF Bonnet at a good price. I`ve found them on Autopia, but I don`t really want to spend that much money on them. I just really need one to remove swirls and a MF bonnet. The one I have that came w/ it I guess I could just use instead of the Grey Finishing Pad. Also, I like to use Eagle One Wet Tire Shine on the tires and I go through it pretty quick and it`s not the cheapest stuff, does anyone know where I might could buy it in bulk. What do you guys like to use on the tires that is really glossy?
    Thanks
    Cameron`s Auto Detail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information