Post Thanks / Like

Exterior plastic trim and rubber products suggestion please

My car`s exterior plastic trim, such as on the front grill and the rear bottom area of the bumper are becoming faded, ashy and white. This is due to the cleaning spray I`ve used on those areas. Also, the rubber seals are also becoming faded looking as well.

I`ve done some searching and it appears that Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus is suggested for the exterior trim, such as the bumpers, the area around the side mirrors, etc. As for the rubber seal areas, Gummi Pflege is also suggested.

Are these the most efficient products to use? I`m looking for products that are high quality and will clean and protect for a long time.

I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exterior plastic trim and rubber products suggestion please

The product you listed are great products for protection and prevention. But if you need to restore the color and look of the trim first you will want a trim dye / restorer. Ther are a few very good options: SoultionFinish, BlackWow, CarPro Dlux.

SolutionFinish is a black liquid dye IMO that is good for restoring the look of old faded trim. And then I would use UTTG or DLUX over top of it to lock-in the finish.

DLUX on its own is good restorer and trim coating. But it does always bring trim all the way back like SolutionFinish does. But the protection and beading the DLUX gives is better than most other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

The product you listed are great products for protection and prevention. But if you need to restore the color and look of the trim first you will want a trim dye / restorer. Ther are a few very good options: SoultionFinish, BlackWow, CarPro Dlux.

SolutionFinish is a black liquid dye IMO that is good for restoring the look of old faded trim. And then I would use UTTG or DLUX over top of it to lock-in the finish.

DLUX on its own is good restorer and trim coating. But it does always bring trim all the way back like SolutionFinish does. But the protection and beading the DLUX gives is better than most other options.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think the trim and the rubber seals aren`t in that bad of a shape. There is some overspray on them that is making them look faded. So it is not extreme wear.

In this situation, would you recommend a product like DLUX in conjunction with SolutionFinish or just use UTTG and Gummi Pflege and see if they work? Would you recommend Gummi Pflege for the subber seals?

SolutionFinish looks great in terms of making the trim look really good. I saw some of those photos on the DLUX product page - the product looks good. I`m mostly after decent looking trim and long term protection.

Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

I love BLACKFIRE Total Trim and Tire Sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I would need to see pictures of the trim to give you a good recommendation. If you have overspray on the trim claying it should remove the overspray and help the appearance.

My long term Dlux review and testing. http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...rpro-dlux.html

I really like Dlux for good looking trim if you want to step up to a coating type product.

If your stuff is in good condition UTTG and Gummi are great. I use Gummi on my interior and exterior door seals to keep them soft and protected. And UTTG is hard to beat for a trim dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, I appreciate your advice. I will try out UTTG and Gummi Pflege and see how they do. I believe I should clean the trim first with and APC. Please correct me if I`m wrong. Thank you.

Thanks for your suggestion as well, Goin Rogue.

Post Thanks / Like

APC may leave residue behind. I would follow up with some IPA to remove any traces of residue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    My car`s exterior plastic trim, such as on the front grill and the rear bottom area of the bumper are becoming faded, ashy and white. This is due to the cleaning spray I`ve used on those areas. Also, the rubber seals are also becoming faded looking as well.

I`ve done some searching and it appears that Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus is suggested for the exterior trim, such as the bumpers, the area around the side mirrors, etc. As for the rubber seal areas, Gummi Pflege is also suggested.

Are these the most efficient products to use? I`m looking for products that are high quality and will clean and protect for a long time.

I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.
    Nav45,

A few months ago I had the same question. Thanks to the recommendations from a number of the talent that posts here I tried SolutionFinish.

Treated the splotchy and not so black exterior areas with it and it still looks great three months later. I wash my car 2 to 3 times a week.

For the rubber seals my go to product is 303 Aerospace Protectant. OTC at Ace Hardware.

No doubt that there is other product that does as well. Simply a matter of choice.
    Best regards,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0inDetail0 View Post
    APC may leave residue behind. I would follow up with some IPA to remove any traces of residue
    So first clean with APC and then with IPA? Sorry if the answers are too obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basswood View Post
    Nav45,

A few months ago I had the same question. Thanks to the recommendations from a number of the talent that posts here I tried SolutionFinish.

Treated the splotchy and not so black exterior areas with it and it still looks great three months later. I wash my car 2 to 3 times a week.

For the rubber seals my go to product is 303 Aerospace Protectant. OTC at Ace Hardware.

No doubt that there is other product that does as well. Simply a matter of choice.
    That is great to hear, bassword. So you simply used SolutionFinish? I assume you cleaned the black exterior areas first and then applied SolutionFinish? If you only used SolutionFinish and it has looked great for three months, it must have some protective qualities as well.

Nice to hear that 303 Aerospace is at Ace Hardware.

Thank you so much, basswood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    That is great to hear, bassword. So you simply used SolutionFinish? I assume you cleaned the black exterior areas first and then applied SolutionFinish? If you only used SolutionFinish and it has looked great for three months, it must have some protective qualities as well.

Nice to hear that 303 Aerospace is at Ace Hardware.

Thank you so much, basswood.
    Sure, normal cleaning process.

Wheels first, pw rinse of the car, foam lance, rinse, 2 bucket wash, rinse, nozzle off wet down, blow dry, touch up w/MF towel. Then I put the SolutionFinish on. 😃

The least read book in the world is the owner`s manual. If you use SolutionFinish read and follow the instructions. If you don`t use gloves, you will be sorry!
    Best regards,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basswood View Post
    Sure, normal cleaning process.

Wheels first, pw rinse of the car, foam lance, rinse, 2 bucket wash, rinse, nozzle off wet down, blow dry, touch up w/MF towel. Then I put the SolutionFinish on. 😃

The least read book in the world is the owner`s manual. If you use SolutionFinish read and follow the instructions. If you don`t use gloves, you will be sorry!
    Ok, I think I will try one of the SolutionFinish kits and see how it goes. My car`s front honeycomb-type grill is looking pretty faded as well. Let`s see how the SolutionFinish does on that.

Thanks.

Thread Information