Post Thanks / Like

Dealership detailing...

Probably wrong thread but more professional detailers read this thread than other threads.. can you make a decent living detailing for car dealerhship? (if self employment isn`t for you?) I know some/most dealers get a bad rap for installing swirls BUT just maybe some have decent work. Do you think full time is available with benefits (i.e. insurance?) Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership detailing...

I assume you are talking about becoming an employee of the dealership, correct? This, as opposed to contracting their details as a business owner. I would think there are positions available as a detail tech, with benefits at some dealerships. Now the question about making a DECENT living becomes debatable. In most cases the people doing their lot details are entry level positions. I`ve seen a couple of dealerships that do farm out better details to their bodyshop personel. I think these people do a bit better when it comes to pay grade.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, speaking of being a detail tech employed by the dealership, however could possibly upgrade to one of the farmed out bodyshops down the road. But it`s at least a start...foot in the door?
    Also, how does it work? Do they put one person on a whole car or do they have one person just do one process of the detail?

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you will probably find that most dealerships are just not willing to pay a fair wage for a quality detail. Many are only concerned about their bottom line and are not interested in tying up any substantial funds for the upkeep of the inventory on their lots. Their goal seems to be just a "clean" car with maybe the tires dressed. Most do not seem to care much about swirls and the such in the paint.

My son worked as a detailer for a Hyundai dealership. He really did not have any detailing experience when he took the job. He only made about $9hr. He and another guy worked together doing the basics such as wash, vacuum, dress tires and sometimes a quick hand wax. It seemed that management was just interested in moving the cars through the detailing process as quickly as possible as soon as a car was sold.

Most of these kids are never even taught the basic skills of even how to wash a car properly so as not to instill swirls much less the proper way to use a polisher of any sort. I think that is why you see so many new cars that are swirled and marred before they ever even leave the lot.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Firebird -

The big problem with Used Car Dealership Car Cleanup is that they dont usually give you enough time to do a very good job, and that is the main reason their cars all look swirled up after the first wash that removes all the swirl and fill products they use...

Notice I didnt use the word Detail above???

Then, like most all Dealerships, they want to beat you down to the lowest number they can get you to give them for the work on their cars...

There used to be a few guys who were doing the Dealership thing around here...

If you really want to work outside and get some good contacts and nice cars to Detail, I would see if you can find the best, nicest, cleanest, biggest, German Car Repair Shop, that is really busy, and find out who is Detailing their Client`s cars, when they ask for it, along with the repairs, etc...

I did that exact scenario at EastSide Bavarian, Issaquah, WA., for several years, and when I moved away, I had built it up enough to have as many BMW and Audi vehicles as I wanted to Detail, 365 days a year...

I never had to rush my work, I always had the car for at least 20 hours on a complete Detail, and made great money..

I used a huge Bay of theirs that could hold 3 vehicles, and had perfect overhead lighting, and it was perfect.. Sometimes, I used my 2-car fully equipped garage and that worked great as well..

Bodyshops -- i worked several years as a Painter, and the Painter and/or the Apprentice was in charge of cleaning up the car and getting it perfect (at this shop) for the Client...

We never had anyone hired to just do the Detail - Bodyshops as well as Dealerships are too cheap to want to do that ever...

When you get enough hours and experience, you will be able to get farther up the ladder, but just remember one thing - this is NOT an easy business...

Unless you are just doing brand new cars just off the truck, every Detail done correctly and as perfect as possible, is hard, hard, work, takes all of your attention, and you have to constantly 100% on..
    Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

There are probably 3 companies in my area that have a detail department with staff that have the slightest clue. One Merc dealership that does clay and hand wax every car. One ford dealership that takes more than one hour to `detail` a car. One body shop who`s manager details on the side. Every other place I`ve been is mediocre or worse.

If you want to do actual detailing at a dealership, you will be hard pressed to find one, but it will be mutually beneficial to find it. When looking, consider that you are interviewing the dealership just as much as they are interviewing you. If you find that place, you should have no problem getting the job and you should be very happy there with ok pay and benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All...just seeing if it`s possible to transition from another lifelong career that`s suffering today. Transition to a job that I want to do! Just burned out on sales and thought the dealership would be easiest.
    I think I will "interview them" just the same as suggessted. Don`t need to make a ton of money now but need some stable income.

Thread Information