Post Thanks / Like

Requesting Assistance - Meguiar`s D151 + Rupes Pads For Correction

Hi Everyone,

I`m using Rupes` system and I purchased D151 in hope of offering one step polish to a few friends but I cannot seem to get any correction with Rupes pads + D151.

I`m using Rupes 15ES and Rupes Mini as the polishers and I own the following pads:

Rupes Blue MF pads
    Rupes Green Foam pads
    Rupes Yellow Foam pads
    Rupes White Foam pads

My test subject is a 2013 Hyundai genesis coupe in red

I tried Rupes Green Foam pads + D151 and Rupes Yellow Foam pads + D151. In both cases I did not see a difference after 6-8 passes. In fact, with Rupes Green Foam pads + D151 I actually instilled micro-marring on the paint.

On the other hand, with Rupes Green Foam pads + Rupes White Diamond Polish I can knock out the minor swirls but not the slightly deeper scratches. I actually stepped up to Rupes Blue MF pads + Rupes Zephir Compound for slightly deeper scratches.

My technique with the foam pads is I would prime the pad with product then spread it slightly on the section I`m working on then set the polisher speed to 6 and move my arms about an inch per second.

What am I doing wrong or what else can I try to get some results with D151? I had always thought D151 has more cut than M205 and that Rupes White Diamond Polish was similar in cut to M205. Hmm..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Requesting Assistance - Meguiar`s D151 + Rupes Pads For Correction

151 is a nice aio, but as a rule of thumb aio wont give you much correction. More of a finish polish with protection. Also, the more aggressive a pad you use, the less protection you`re gonna leave.

You may want to "spot correct" the rids, then follow with 151
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    151 is a nice aio, but as a rule of thumb aio wont give you much correction. More of a finish polish with protection. Also, the more aggressive a pad you use, the less protection you`re gonna leave.

You may want to "spot correct" the rids, then follow with 151
    Hey Ronkh,

I picked D151 over XMT360 for its slightly better correcting ability but I cannot see a difference in results. I tried Rupes Green foam pad + D151 a panel filled with minor towel marks, 7 passes, IPA wipedown and the panel looks exactly the same.

Thanks for the advice about the aggressive pad. So far I`m seeing D151 no better than a paint cleaner with the results I`m getting.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

How many applications did you do ? Just one ? Did you try more ?

Meguiars D151 will work best with Rotary Power and pressure on the machine, and not crazy high speeds.

It will only correct so much and then stop, on most paint with my Rotary..

Direct drive pad rotation will help it to work to its potential but that level may not be good enough for some..

I used it when it first came out almost 10 years ago on a few white vans that needed anything to help them and it did, but we are not talking the level I can do with dedicated compounds..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Hey Ronkh,

I picked D151 over XMT360 for its slightly better correcting ability but I cannot see a difference in results. I tried Rupes Green foam pad + D151 a panel filled with minor towel marks, 7 passes, IPA wipedown and the panel looks exactly the same.

Thanks for the advice about the aggressive pad. So far I`m seeing D151 no better than a paint cleaner with the results I`m getting.
    Flex has more power, rupes mebbe not enough
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How many applications did you do ? Just one ? Did you try more ?

Meguiars D151 will work best with Rotary Power and pressure on the machine, and not crazy high speeds.

It will only correct so much and then stop, on most paint with my Rotary..

Direct drive pad rotation will help it to work to its potential but that level may not be good enough for some..

I used it when it first came out almost 10 years ago on a few white vans that needed anything to help them and it did, but we are not talking the level I can do with dedicated compounds..
    Good luck !
    Dan F
    I tried four times, next will be with a MF pad to see if I can get some correction

1) Rupes Green Foam pads + D151 on Red Hyundai Genesis Hood (2 sections)
    2) Rupes Yellow Foam pads + D151 on Red Hyundai Genesis Hood (2 sections)
    3) Rupes Green Foam pads + D151 on Silver Hyundai Elantra Hood (2 sections)
    4) Rupes Yellow Foam pads + D151 on Silver Hyundai Elantra Hood (2sections)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Flex has more power, rupes mebbe not enough
    Flex is on my wishlist already Just waiting to see what is Flex is coming out at this year`s SEMA first

Post Thanks / Like

How much pressure did you put down on the paint, throughout the correction ?

Sounds like the paint is pretty hard and if this is the case, you need to use everything you can to get the most out of the product..

If you are not getting a lot of pad rotation, it is harder to make this work the best it can.

Microfiber is supposed to be able to correct quickly and better than foam sometimes, so perhaps that might work ?

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

How much pressure did you put down on the paint, throughout the correction ?

Sounds like the paint is pretty hard and if this is the case, you need to use everything you can to get the most out of the product..

If you are not getting a lot of pad rotation, it is harder to make this work the best it can.

Microfiber is supposed to be able to correct quickly and better than foam sometimes, so perhaps that might work ?

Good luck !
    Dan F
    I`m putting down light to almost no pressure using my Rupes polisher. Same technique using Rupes White Diamond Polish definitely corrected the swirls.

I will report back once I try the MF pads

Thanks Dan!

Post Thanks / Like

You should try using at least moderate pressure on the machine if you are going to get much of any correction. I have used D151 quite a few times and have found it to have decent cut when paired with a Tangerine or Cyan Hydro Pad on my Flex 3401. It definitely has more cut than M205. With Microfiber pads the cut should even be greater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    You should try using at least moderate pressure on the machine if you are going to get much of any correction. I have used D151 quite a few times and have found it to have decent cut when paired with a Tangerine or Cyan Hydro Pad on my Flex 3401. It definitely has more cut than M205. With Microfiber pads the cut should even be greater.
    + 1 -

This man knows what he is talking about - listen to him !

I even like his pad choices - my favorite Lake Country Hydro-Shreds !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    + 1 -

This man knows what he is talking about - listen to him !

I even like his pad choices - my favorite Lake Country Hydro-Shreds !
    Dan F
    Thanks guys, I gave it another whirl yesterday evening.

Tried D151 with Rupes Blue MF pad on Rupes 15 @medium pressure. No bite from D151 after 4 passes (also another section at 6 passes) but the MF pad definitely left behind micro-marring. I think the gap here is either 1) user error from myself and/or 2) Rupes 15ES is not meant for the job.

I decided to finish the car off with HD polish on green and yellow Rupes foam pad so I will look for another opportunity in the future to try D151 again.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and advices

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is just me, but I find the Rupes pads don`t work so well with other polishes/compounds. Also if I am doing a one step, usually taking a blue or green foam pad with a light polish (Buff and Shine pad as they are cheap and I have never had one fail on me). I find with the rupes pads that the polish gets caught in the foam. For a one step using the Rupes system I would take the yellow pad with their yellow polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
    Maybe this is just me, but I find the Rupes pads don`t work so well with other polishes/compounds. Also if I am doing a one step, usually taking a blue or green foam pad with a light polish (Buff and Shine pad as they are cheap and I have never had one fail on me). I find with the rupes pads that the polish gets caught in the foam. For a one step using the Rupes system I would take the yellow pad with their yellow polish.
    Hi chuck,

As mentioned above, I did the correction using HD polish with Rupes yellow and green foam pads. I think they work sufficiently but I cannot find the par with an orange pad from Rupes lineup. Maybe green? The yellow foam I find the polishes don`t buildup as much as the green pad, but both does do the job pretty well. I did 60% of the red Hyundai genesis using Rupes green foam pad and the finish is amazing

Thread Information