Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Can this be fixed?

So I did a little bit of minor wetsanding with 3,000 grit I buffed out it now it looks like this. The front passenger door needs to be buffed out a little more obviously. What is causing it to look foggy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can this be fixed?

What machine,pads and products did you use after wet sanding ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    What machine,pads and products did you use after wet sanding ?
    I agree more info is needed to help you
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I used a 6 inch drill master compact polisher with a microfiber pad, turtle wax polishing compound. Griot`s Garage Paint Cleaning Clay 11153: Get best Rubbing/Polishing Compound at Advance Auto Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Get a true DA - Harbor Freight (drill master) has one. I would try Menzerna FG400 followed by PF2500. Orange pad and white pad respectively. Kick the TW to the curb.

You have to be careful about paint thickness having done the wet sanding. Try a test spot first.

Post Thanks / Like

Story on AG is different than here

Big difference

You may want to find someone from your area to straighten this out for you
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Story on AG is different than here

Big difference

You may want to find someone from your area to straighten this out for you
    Yea, claying with the compound is what got me. Probably wasn`t too terribly bad before that... Also there`s no telling how much was removed during the wetsanding by hands alone. I agree on seeking professional help, a black BMW is not the best thing to try and start out on. There are guys with years of experience that have trouble with those...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Yea, claying with the compound is what got me. Probably wasn`t too terribly bad before that... Also there`s no telling how much was removed during the wetsanding by hands alone. I agree on seeking professional help, a black BMW is not the best thing to try and start out on. There are guys with years of experience that have trouble with those...
    Yep. I wouldn`t have the

to try it. And I`ve had my share of JB BMW`s
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

v924 -

What is your experience level with paint correction ?

The pictures of the left side look like all of the defects could be corrected easily without using sandpaper..

Is that Jet Black Paint ? It looks like it...

As has already been said above, if you are going to continue to try this on your own, it would be much better to get better equipment, pads, and product/s to fix this...

And of course, the best possible thing would be to find a good Detailer who is experienced with compounding out sanding scratches, and has a way to measure your paint thickness all around the vehicle.

Where are you located ? Perhaps there is someone who is on this Forum already that is close by...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on if you want to continue, either get help or invest a bit of money in some good quality tools and polishes. Also as mentioned above, wetsanding by hand or by machine is something that takes practice. The good thing is 3000 grit is usually well within the range of a good DA and medium polish. The thing to watch for is BMW JB paint which is hard for even experienced detailers. A good quality dual action polisher with a MF cutting pad and some FG400 from Menzerna could eliminate a lot of the defects. If you know anyone in your area with a paint depth gauge I would maybe start there. Goodluck and let us know what you decide and how you make out!

My suggestion for a DA would be the griots garage 6 inch random orbital polisher. Lots of power and lifetime warranty. MF cutting pads from megiuars I find work the best and a pretty good in how long they will last. Menzerna polishes are all pretty user friendly, watch a few youtube videos on the proper technique.

Here is one video I would recommend. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgHd1twCHYM]How to Wet Sand a Water Mark in Black Paint - YouTube[/ame]
    Title: How to Wet Sand a Water Mark in Black Paint

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the spot on the rear driver door by the wheel arch is through the cc. Where are you located?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - looked again, closer to the left side -

Driver door has the spot where you went through to the primer - need to repaint the door now..

The Passenger Door - same thing - went through to the primer - if you want it to look normal again, then that would require a repaint..

There are some people that come to car lots and touch up things with paint and are very good... The only thing you cant be sure of, is how long the repair will last, if the spot is not prepared properly, and the paint was the correct factory-pack and it was applied correctly with enough paint thickness, in stages..

Sorry this mess had to happen to you...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

At this point after looking at all the pictures closely I`d strongly recommend you, do not sand anything else and bring it to a professional. Anywhere, where you went through will require a repaint. From the pictures it looks like all 4 doors will need to resprayed. In the future, wetsanding should be a last resort. I hope you find a good body guy, that`s going to be quite expensive to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that one part was light, looking more closely at it... unfortunatly it looks like it`s passed the clear coat and the base coat (into the primer). As mentioned above, keep wetsanding to a last resort. Find a scrap hood or roof that is painted for you to practice on if you want to learn how to wetsand. Sorry to see that the first experience didn`t go so well. We live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this happened for you. You really have to be extremely careful when wetsanding factory paint. I have wetsanded some vehicles in my time and I could never be comfortable doing this without a paint thickness gauge and proceeding very slowly. As others have said; In most cases, I would only do this as a last resort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information