Post Thanks / Like

Should I use car cover for 7 days..Im torn here.

My family and I are about to travel for Spring Break. While gone one of our vehicles (Lexus RX) will have to sit outside in the driveway. I really dont want to leave it uncovered the entire time were gone because the pollen is picking up in the Atlanta area right now. So Im sure it will be covered once we return. I was going to run and grab a quick car cover from Walmart and just cover the car while were gone. But... I keep hearing that car covers scratch the car. If I cover the vehicle for 7 days do you think I will come back to a scratched vehicle?? Any of you covered your vehicle for a short period and had good results? Would a walmart cover suit just fine for temporary?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I use car cover for 7 days..Im torn here.

A good car cover with a soft inner liner will not scratch a car - the dirt on the car already, or the dirt inside the car cover could possibly contribute to light scratches, etc..

Depends on how rough or gentle you are with your handling of the material, and the quality of the material..

A cheap car cover - well you get what you pay for...

Please describe the car cover material you are going to be buying at Walmart----

Good car covers come in several types of materials, some that are totally weather proof and some that are lighter and allow moisture to dry out underneath them in most conditions... If it rains constantly, well, no breathe-able car cover can keep dry until it stops...

A good cover will actually fit the shape of the car better and will hold tightly to the body of the car..

Cheap covers will maybe fit pretty good, some not so good...

A good cover will also come with grommets in the middle so you can attach their plastic coated steel cable and throw it under the car to the other side and secure it to that grommet and thereby holding the car cover more securely and preventing it from being stolen easily..

A good car cover will have really great elastic - especially at both ends front and back, to help it stay secure on the car..

Any car cover and windy conditions are not good when installing or removing... In this condition, it is best to have someone on the other side to help, so it doesnt act like a sail or blow off the other side from where you are standing..

If you get one, let me know and I will tell you how to best install it and remove it by yourself..

I know these things because I have been using car covers for 45 years...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If its protected I would leave it uncovered for a week. I feel covers to more damage it they flap around in the wind or get dust/moisture under them. No scientific evidence here, just some broscience.

Car covers (Dust Covers) are for show cars inside garages IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

No!

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to not go with the car cover. We moved alot of crap around in the garage and squeezed the Lexus into the garage temporarily while we were on vacation. Guess I will have to get a cover for my riding lawmower.

Thread Information