Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Angry I`m Very Upset At This Situation!!!!! Any Opinions In How To Rectify?

Just finished doing a detail on my neighboors van yesterday. And I`m 2 seconds from going postal.

While I was washing my car 2 days ago he told me he would like to get his car detailed. In his words" I want you to set me up" "I said sure no problem" You want a full detail inside and out right? (just to confirm" He replied yes. So the next day I started around 11am and finally finished around 6:30. His van was trashed and I did a pretty damn good job at making it look much better. I took my time and made sure nothing was missed. I even did the wheelwells.

Clayed,polished, sealed, hand waxed and washed(3) times
    Also did the complete interior, (The Mytee lite is amazing)

But heres the kicker I wake up the next morning by my father giving me an envelope saying it`s from you neighbor. I didn`t really sweat it because I`m sure I got at least 100 dollars.....
    WRONG..... THIS JERK GAVE ME 60 Dollars..........
    WHAT THE F.......... Is he serious...

I`m sure some of you guys might be laughing now but how would you go about this situation. I can`t go to his house asking for more money and I`tll be downright rude doing so. He is my neighbor..............But I keep asking myself who in the hell would think they could get a complete detail for 60 dollars........

Learned My lesson......... Never assume!!!!!! Quote a price ON THE SPOT!!!!!!!!!!

How would you fellow detailers deal with this situation.
    I Love rx7s...... Especially clean ones........

Post Thanks / Like
    OUCH, never EVER do job without getting a signed quote or if you know the customer then, at least get a verbal acceptance. Live and Learn I guess :dunno

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry this happened to you but you answered your own question. Get a quote up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I guess you live and learn. I`m going to the bowling alley to shoot a few games so I could unleash this stress....
    I Love rx7s...... Especially clean ones........

Post Thanks / Like
    id be knocking on his door ... looks like HE didnt care if you are neighbors .. borrow his mower for a year or something .. i know its not funny, but its funny. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME:phone: :bigscream :dunno :drunk nton nton :boohoo :flameon :wow
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    For real, some people don`t have a clue what things like this go for and he could of even thought he was giving you a good tip too. I always tell them up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad on being stiffed, but not sure if you want to get into a squable with your neighbor, especially if he lives right next to you. Heard too many stories of neighbors having disagreements, to the point that temporary restraining orders are obtained. In extreme cases, one neighbor ends up moving. Not to say that what he did was okay, but the last place you want static is at home. If you think you have a friendly opportunity and the two of you are on good terms, you can mentioned it to your neighbor. Quite frankly, I just do not think he knows how much work it is to detail a van. If not, I would just let this one go but not go out of your way for this guy again. Hope things work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with ben and civicex. I find that most people do not know 1.)what a quality detail cost and 2.)what kind of extensive work goes into a job like a van. Don`t take it personal. Right that one off and next time let whoever know what kinda of work goes into your detail. Also let them know that you use top of the line equip (ie. carpet extractor) to do your work. Establish your price upfront. You learned a valuable lesson, grasshopper! lol

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chalk that one up for experince alway quote a price and by all means take a look at the vehicle first then quote a price
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah let it go - not worth losing a friend over - and if he asks you to do it again tell him the price up front..he if says "it was only 60 last time.." then you can tell him you forgot to tell him the price up front last time and didn`t want to cause a problem.
    You have activated my special ability....

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better luck next time, live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Experience is the best teacher but FORGET THAT! I would call or go to other detail shops and get their price lists. I would than circle all that you did for his van and add up the price on each of the price lists and than send a polite note saying something to the effect of, hey nieghbor, I appreciated the opportunity of providing my services to you van. The going rate for what I did is: $$$, (notice I put 3 dollar signs b/c I KNOW it would have run way more than $60, in NYC i`m thinking $200 - $300 min), Since we`re nighbors, I would not expect you to pay the going rate, but as a professional detailer, (assuming this is how you make your living) $60 was an insult.

Now this is all tempered by your neighbor, if your neighbor an elderly person living on a stipend consider it chartity BUT if he/she make a decent living, write the note and leave the ball in his/her court.

If nothing comes of it, at least it`ll be off your chest! Good Luck!
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What would you expect from someone with a trashed van?? If he cared, his van wouldn`t have been in such bad shape. That`s the type of customer that doesn`t fully appreciate a full detail anyway. To them a full detail is wash, wax, vac, and windows.

Quoting prices is still tough for me. Especially quoting to friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scrub,

As far as quoting to friends, business is business, your frineds should understand that.

My friends understand, if they want a break from my prices, one of two things have to happen:

1. They help with the detail, (do the interior, polish the wheels, wipe on, wipe off, etc)

2. No help but I "borrow" their cars for a few days. Some of my friends vehicles are better than mine!

Thats my story and I`m sticking to it! :-)
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply. I like #2 option!!LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information