Post Thanks / Like

Before I do anything stupid....want to get confirmation.

Safe to spray all this down (not pressure washer)? I may cover the alternator, but everything else is OK? I just feel weird washing it down, especially without the cover on. Want to make sure Im not missing something before I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before I do anything stupid....want to get confirmation.

I would cover the alternator and anything electrical. I wouldn`t use any form of high pressure just a gentle flow of water. I would spray some APC and agitate with a variety of brushes. Start the car afterwards and try to blow out as much water as you can.

Todd just did a nice writeup on cleaning your engine in like 10 minutes.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught to never spray down an engine without leaving the car run. Make sure to leave it run a while after you spray it down as well. Good luck

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been pressure washing engines for years ( 40+) and never had a failure or anything happen later...

I do wash them, rinse them and then dry them outside and blow a lot of air through them to help move the water out..

This is like anything else, you need to use common sense, think about what you are doing, what would not benefit from getting too much water on it, and of course, never put the pressure washer nozzle too close to places that cover up other components... Use common sense..

I then start the vehicle up and let it run for a few minutes only.. I have never had a vehicle not start up the first time..

My reasoning and success - I think about how much water gets on the engine when its raining and driving in bad weather throwing up all kinds of water and crap from the underside, and through the openings in the grill and radiator..

I am positive that the engineers thought about this too and allowed for it... Unless you drive through several feet of water enough to start sucking it into the engine through the Intake, its pretty hard to hurt it in my humble opinion..

If you live where it is warm and the sun is out, this will help dry it all faster.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I work at a car wash/detail shop, and I have watched multiple people spray out their engines in a hand bay, then have to push their cars out due to them not starting up after whereas if the engine is running, our customers have never had an issue. We usually stay away from the engine compartment at our shop unless the customer specifies they want it done, just makes it easier for everybody haha

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetta2011 View Post
    I work at a car wash/detail shop, and I have watched multiple people spray out their engines in a hand bay, then have to push their cars out due to them not starting up after whereas if the engine is running, our customers have never had an issue. We usually stay away from the engine compartment at our shop unless the customer specifies they want it done, just makes it easier for everybody haha
    Again, one must use common sense here...

I have always thought it is a bad idea to spray down a hot engine at the car wash, but then again, if you are driving it in rain, what is happening under there?? Oh yeah, its getting wet...

If those people are spraying down an older car with a distributor and cap exposed, and its a Ford, I can guarantee, it will never start until you pop the cap and wipe out all the moisture under there.. This has never happened to older GM cars with the same exposed cap though...

If they are not paying attention to what they are doing, and not using a degreaser first to help move the oil, dirt, etc., off faster, so they dont have to spray as much, then they are I guess, going to have this challenge..

Besides, the weak-a$$ car wash spray is not strong enough to even clean out a wheel well good, so what is wrong with this picture ??? User error...

I know Im not just lucky here, but after hundreds, this has never happened to me...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve sprayed every car`s engine I`ve owned with a pressure washer and never have had an issue. I wouldn`t do it to an older car with a distributor, or spray the fuse box. I guess you kind of have to know where to focus your spray and for how long. You didn`t do it right unless the belts squeal when you first start it up.

In reality, it`s the fastest way to remove a lot of dirt, leaves, pollen, oil spills, etc...

However, I can guarantee you this: the first car`s engine I spray down that doesn`t belong to me either won`t start or will through a Check Engine Light.

Sometimes life just works that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetta2011 View Post
    I can see why it wouldn`t start for those people. Spraying down a hot engine is not wise at all. When I spray down my engine it`s cold. No problems yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Unplug a random connector under your hood and you will find a gasket to protect the exposed terminals from moisture. Most engines are waterproofed to a degree. The engine is gonna get wet, engineers know this and design for it. But just like you wouldn`t take a water resistant watch that`s good down to 10ft, on a 50ft dive, don`t test the limits of the gaskets on the electrical connections. And like stated above, NEVER NEVER NEVER spray large amounts of cold water onto a hot engine. Rapid temp changes and metal do not play together well. If you have a IR thermometer, try pointing it at your exhaust manifold/header right where the exhaust exits the cylinder head. Not uncommon for temps here to reach over 1000 degrees

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have been pressure washing engines for years ( 40+) and never had a failure or anything happen later...
    Dan, I like you haven`t had issues doing this. It was a different story back in the days of distributors. They`d get wet pretty easy. That said, the minute you make this recommendation someone will have problems because there is plenty to go wrong. Stay away from the fuse blocks, the coils, MAP sensors, Idle Air Control, the injector harness and well pretty much anything with a wire. The list of what you shouldn`t get wet is long. I`m always the skeptic and anything that can go wrong will go wrong. In good concience I just can`t recommend that someone should do this... but I do it, so take it with a grain of salt.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

32 years of hosing down engines. In those 32 not ONCE has a car had to leave here on a wrecker

Thread Information