Post Thanks / Like

Order of Products / Paint Protection Removal

Hello everyone,

I was about ready to rock on the detail of my black 2003 GMC Envoy, when I realized I may be in over my head right now. I need some help.

19 months ago, I had the dealer put the "paint protection package" on my Envoy. It is a sealant that is baked on in a heat booth (I watched). 19 months later, it still beads up like crazy, is very shiny, and also very swirly and a few minor scratches. I don`t like it anymore.

I want to strip that crap off, clean the paint, polish thoroughly, and reseal. Here are the products at my disposal:

Klasse AIO
    Poorboys PwC
    SSR1
    SSR2
    EX-P
    Claymagic Kit

What order and what products should I use here? On another thread, I outlined my plan, but now I am a little intimidated by the paint protection on the vehicle. I think the AIO will strip that off, but I don`t know what order to go here.

I`m thinking:

Wash, Clay, Wash, SSR2, SSR1, AIO, EX-P.

Or, should I AIO before polishing with SSRs? Or does it go before Clay since I have this paint protection crap on the vehicle?

BTW, I will be using a PC for this job.

Thanks for any input, and for the patience of reading through my various ramblings.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Order of Products / Paint Protection Removal

Originally posted by Fleet
    Sounds like a plan to me. I don`t know that the second wash is necessary, but it isn`t going to hurt anything.
    One suggestion, do one section with the clay and SSR1 to see if you need to use the SSR2. If the SSR1 doesn`t do it, then try the SSR2. By doing one section, you will have a better idea what is needed for the entire vehicle.

I`m not a fan of clay and have only used it once.
    A swirl remover, AIO, and a sealant or wax seems to work for me. Swirl remover a couple of times a year, AIO about every 90 days, and wax or sealant each month.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Order of Products / Paint Protection Removal

Originally posted by Fleet

two days ago i did wash, clay, PP w/ polishing pad speed 5 (can be replaced w/ AIO), SSR2 w/ polishing pad speed 5.5-6, UPP.

it turned out awesome! i wish i had pics
    Justin
    Now Driving: 1998 Black 4Runner
    Have a nice day

Post Thanks / Like
    So, should I use AIO before or after SSR Polishing?

Post Thanks / Like
    On black the AIO will probably give the paint a little more of a warm look.
    Personally I would try a panel going straight from SSR1 to EX-P first to see if you like the look and if unsure then do a panel right next to it with AIO followed by EX-P.
    I feel that AIO reduces the clarity and reflectiveness that SSR1 produces on the paint.
    As always what I like may not be what you or anyone else likes ... so play around a little and have fun.
    Question though ... was there a guarantee with your paint protection purchase? if so why not have some fun with the dealer and get them to fix your paint or if they can`t .... try to get your money back and then you can buy more detaling products to play with.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    On black the AIO will probably give the paint a little more of a warm look.
    Personally I would try a panel going straight from SSR1 to EX-P first to see if you like the look and if unsure then do a panel right next to it with AIO followed by EX-P.
    I feel that AIO reduces the clarity and reflectiveness that SSR1 produces on the paint.
    As always what I like may not be what you or anyone else likes ... so play around a little and have fun.
    I agree with kimwallace. The AIO and EX-P combo seemed to be lacking the "pop" of some other combos (SSR1, PP, PwC, or VM prior to EX-P). If you want to use AIO as a chemical cleaner, my thought would be to use it prior to the SSR steps. Just my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like
    The "paint protection" did come with a warranty. Unfortunately, it is performing to spec. Water beads up well today, and it still looks shiny. But, the warranty does not cover swirls and microscratches, which I`ve picked up over the past 19 months. The warranty only comes into effect when water does not bead.

I guess I could strip it off and then complain. But, I`m not that kind of guy. Their product/service did what it was supposed to do. I`m not going to rip them off now. I`d rather get into detailing and have some fun with my Envoy. This seems like a nice hobby to have. And I don`t mind spending time on it.

The weather is bad here in the Rock City, so I won`t be doing this today anyways.

So, it`s looking like my plan is:

Wash-Clay-AIO-SSR2-SSR1-EXP.

I want to use AIO as a chemical cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for their advise. I`ve pretty much got my plan together now, and am thinking about maintenance. I shouldn`t have to polish out swirls every month. So, for this full detail, I`m going to

Wash-Clay-AIO-SSR2-SSR1-EXP.

Then, in subsequent maintenance details, I`ll probably just Wash-Clay-Polish-Seal. Probably use Professional Paint Polish - EXP. I`m planning on doing this once a month. My question is whether Pro Paint Polish is appropriate instead of SSR1. For that matter, should I stick it in the "full detail" above before EXP? I have it sitting on the shelf, and I don`t mind spending time.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully this doesn`t confuse you more but I think you can safely skip AIO in your latest plan. I believe the wash+clay will clean up the surface enough for the SSR`s. Just trying to save you some time.....being a beginner, even without the AIO your plan might take you the better part of a day.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must be getting good, I finally got a ":yeah " from THE MAN!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :rolling
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information