Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tacoma??

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Tacoma??

Gonna correct 2008 Tacoma for a friend. It`s white and has never been polished and I believe 2500 on an orange pad will do the job. However, do you guys considered this paint on the hard or soft side. I`ve worked only on my stuff and this would be a good practice job for me. Any suggestion needed.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Tacoma??

I`d say its in middle or the road for hardness, but the fender flares are soft so be carful with those, I haven`t done to much on my tacomas paint it`s in good shape and hard to see swirls and whatnot, it`s black sand pearl in color...

Post Thanks / Like

My 2012 Tacoma is single stage black (202). It is very soft! I would imagine that the 2008 in question is also a single stage paint job, although the white color should be harder. A test spot is the only way to find out. I would love to see pictures upon completion!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is single stage, my old `05 white Tacoma was. My 2012 Tacoma is magnetic grey and clear coated. The white Tacomas can have tons of oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

White is tough, that Phillips guy did an article on why but I don`t remember the details. I`d say that`s probably single stage. I`ve done a few and the before and afters are stunning. FWIW - wash with the strongest stuff you have, clay the snot out of it, then go at it with M101 or 100,MF pads or at least orange foam. Take your time, do small sections, clean the pad very often. You`re about to enter the...............
    OXIDATION ZONE!

Post Thanks / Like

The tacoma`s are not a single stage paint they all have clear coats on them... No car makers use the single stage paint any more...

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird, just read on another forum how Toyota still uses single stage on black, white and red.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bunn View Post
    White is tough, that Phillips guy did an article on why but I don`t remember the details. I`d say that`s probably single stage. I`ve done a few and the before and afters are stunning. FWIW - wash with the strongest stuff you have, clay the snot out of it, then go at it with M101 or 100,MF pads or at least orange foam. Take your time, do small sections, clean the pad very often. You`re about to enter the...............
    OXIDATION ZONE!
    The belief that white is harder had to do with the material used to tint the paint white. I believe, nowadays, that toners are used, so the color shouldn`t matter too much.

I have only polished one Tacoma, and it was as easy as pie. Best bet is to always to a test spot and see how it turns out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    The tacoma`s are not a single stage paint they all have clear coats on them... No car makers use the single stage paint any more...
    This is false. Toyota will confirm. Your Black Sand Pearl is in fact a multi stage paint process. BSP was replaced with black (202) which is a single stage application.

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    Weird, just read on another forum how Toyota still uses single stage on black, white and red.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    This is true. Toyota Motor Company will confirm. Not sure about red however, Barcelona or Radiant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    This is false. Toyota will confirm. Your Black Sand Pearl is in fact a multi stage paint process. BSP was replaced with black (202) which is a single stage application.

This is true. Toyota Motor Company will confirm. Not sure about red however, Barcelona or Radiant?
    If true then when he tests a spot the pad will have paint on it.... I`m willing to bet it won`t lol... I hope the OP keeps us updated and if it had clear or not on it...

Post Thanks / Like

Tacoma white paint is single stage. I`ve had both a 2005 and 2011. On both trucks, I checked out the color and paint type with a factory rep. Both times I was told that it is single stage.
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what year they went to single stage but i recently polished a white 1998 Tacoma and it was definitely bc/cc not single stage.

Post Thanks / Like

How about adding some type of iron remover to decontaminate the paint?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

In order to make white really pop you need to remove the imbedded contaminants and really deep clean the paint. Iron-X, clay then Duragloss 501. The 501 is one of the best cleaning AIO`s that you can use. It makes white sparkle and leaves behind some serious protection that should last you 4-6 months. It does not have a lot of cut but it does have tremendous cleaning ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive polished a Tacoma and two tundras. Ive found them to be on the somewhat medium to hard side. I used D300 and the Megs 5 inch cutting discs. On the black tundra, I needed to use a finer polish to refine the finish because there was some haze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information