Post Thanks / Like

Detailing to much?

Hey everyone I just have a quick question. Is there such a thing called detailing your car to much? I compound and use polish a lot during the year bf I`m a freak keeping my 2012 acura Tl very clean and I love having that mirror finish. I prolly compound my car 2 to 3 times a year and prolly polish it like 4 times a year is that to much? Will it ruin my paints thickness?

-nick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing to much?

Of course there is such a thing as too much. Your clearcoat is only so thick.

Post Thanks / Like

i would auggest you to buy a paint depth gauge and have a look what`s left.
    if you like that mirror like finish, I would suggest to have a look at glazes. they might be what you need

Post Thanks / Like

I polish/jewel my paint a few times a year, but due to the thin clear coat newer models have, I wouldn`t really do more than maybe one paint correction every 2 years or so. You should definitely invest in a paint depth gauge if you wish to compound the piant often. I like to detail my car as much as possible and every time I do I put a fresh coat or two of wax. Even if the previous coat is only a month old. Me, being a bit of a wax freak have no issue using so much wax to help ensure the paint is protected. Keep it protected good and a nice polish/jewel session would be in order, not a compounding paint correction session. As 2shiny stated, you should look into glazes if you don`t like correcting every single scratch after it happens. PoorBoys world makes the best glazes IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glaze my friend. Glaze. Poorboys black hole and knock yourself out every week if you want. Nothing looks as good as a glazed car topped with your favorite topping. I can always tell if a car has been glazed. Something about it. Trust me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drdetail12 View Post
    Hey everyone I just have a quick question. Is there such a thing called detailing your car to much? I compound and use polish a lot during the year bf I`m a freak keeping my 2012 acura Tl very clean and I love having that mirror finish. I prolly compound my car 2 to 3 times a year and prolly polish it like 4 times a year is that to much? Will it ruin my paints thickness?

-nick
    Just keep in mind that the average thickness of the clear coats on cars is about the thickness of a sticky note. If you compounding you car 2-3 times a year then what are you doing during your washing, drying, and any time you touch your paint that is causing defects that need to be removed?

If there is nothing wrong with the paint then why wouold you compound it? Seems like a waste of clearcoat to me. You want to preserve as much clear coat as possible.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Glaze here I come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That`s too much. I may use a super fine polish (SF 4500 / Optimum Finish II / Rupes Diamond / Amigo) three times a year. Not compound. If your compounding out scratches - you gotta figure out how your getting such heavy defects and correct your methods.

Actually, I`ve never had to use a compound on my cars.

So occasionally, I may get marring in a spot that requires TSR and a 3" pad - but just a spot. Something doesn`t sound right. Are you compounding just out of habit - or does the finish require it?

I don`t think you will be thrilled with the performance of glaze if the finish requires a compound to remove defects - but that is just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Wow. That`s too much. I may use a super fine polish (SF 4500 / Optimum Finish II / Rupes Diamond / Amigo) three times a year.
    What color pad and what brand do you use? Do you know what the Rupes pad equivalent of the white LC 5.5" flat pad is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

The question is... why the need to compound so often..

Generally you would do a big paint correction (compound and polish) to get it right, then carefully wash and dry the vehicle..

90% (or more) of swirl marks are created by bad washing techniques.

IF you have good technique you will still get some very light marks (which will be very shallow)... You should only need a very mild final polish to restore the gloss and clarity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTARK View Post
    What color pad and what brand do you use? Do you know what the Rupes pad equivalent of the white LC 5.5" flat pad is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Dunno about "equivelant". Either Rupes yellow or green. I think Rupes stuff was designed to be used with Rupes stuff. I use the white Rupes pad with the Diamond Ultra Fine Polish. I find this an amazing combo, because it`s actually able to remove some defects (unlike other super fine polishes), finish stunningly, and only remove a hair`s worth of paint.

It`s not the large throw either doing all the work, because I`ve tried it with similar polishes and they didn`t work quite as well.

Basically, get the Rupes system and Fogetaboutit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Dunno about "equivelant". Either Rupes yellow or green. I think Rupes stuff was designed to be used with Rupes stuff. I use the white Rupes pad with the Diamond Ultra Fine Polish. I find this an amazing combo, because it`s actually able to remove some defects (unlike other super fine polishes), finish stunningly, and only remove a hair`s worth of paint.

It`s not the large throw either doing all the work, because I`ve tried it with similar polishes and they didn`t work quite as well.

Basically, get the Rupes system and Fogetaboutit.
    The Rupes stuff works extremely well together. I am a big fan of highly-engineered, over-thought, and extremely-easy stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drdetail12 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Glaze here I come.
    ron had a great idea,,, blackhole topped with black ice

thats what i`d do if i were you, assuming you have those items that is

have you considered just coating it? wouldn`t have to worry as much but it seems that would defeat your need to constantly do something, i know it has mine

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    ron had a great idea,,, blackhole topped with black ice

thats what i`d do if i were you, assuming you have those items that is

have you considered just coating it? wouldn`t have to worry as much but it seems that would defeat your need to constantly do something, i know it has mine
    Not a bad suggestion. Something like Pinnacle Black Label would add measurable thickness to the paint, enough to prevent the actual polishing of the clear coat.

Thread Information