Post Thanks / Like

Got my rotary, first use results

So I got my Hitachi SP18VA and gave it a try on my car... Here are the results;

BEFORE (last time I polished it with a PC was 8-10 months ago);

After I experimented on the hood of my car;

First I tried SSR1 on orange Edge pad and it didn`t do good enough. Then I moved up to SSR2.5 on another orange Edge pad. I spent a good 2 hours experimenting on my hood. The highest speed I got up to with the rotary was ~2400 RPM... As you can see in the above picture there still are some impurities on the surface... My hood is chipped pretty bad from highway driving (it`s still the original paint since 1997).

I seem to cannot do any better, I don`t know if it`s the clear that`s damaged, or if other products besides Poorboy`s can repair it... Please give me tips and advices... Right about now I`m going to wash the car again and give the SSR2.5 on Green Edge pad a try...

thanks a lot!
    Joven

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got my rotary, first use results

The hood looks a whole lot better than before, but there`s still room for improvement. It`s definately a pretty good job for a first crack at detailing with a rotary. I don`t have any experience with rotary`s, but from what I`ve read, you might be going a little too high with your speed setting. If I am mistaken, I`m sure someone will set me straight. Also, you shouldn`t need to use anything higher than a polishing pad with SSR1 and I honestly wouldn`t go any higher than a light cutting pad with the rest of the line-up.

Overall, it looks like you`re definately moving in the right direction. I`d also recommend trying multiple passes with each product. They may not correct every defect on the first pass, but a second go at it could fix what the first pass didn`t.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Thread Information