Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Witch has more power the flex 3401 or the RUPES 21 machine?

I`m in the market to buy another polisher. But I don`t know witch one to buy?! Can someone help me out of what they think the better machine is for compounding & polishing cars.

- thanks nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Witch has more power the flex 3401 or the RUPES 21 machine?

If you wetsand more and doing more aggressive refinishing, a rotary + wool is a cant miss combo.

If you do more finishing/polishing the rupes might be better. The biggest deciding factor is your experience, preference, and what exactly you`re working with on a daily basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go flex, I have both and the rupes cutting out on contours stinks.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both as well. The Rupes 21 requires a bit of patience on curved panels. It is quite common for the backing plate to stop spinning, so you`ll need to be constantly adjusting your technique.

However, the Rupes 21 is far superior in terms of ergonomics and NVH. It can also use MF pads, which the Flex cannot. I personally think the Rupes works best with MF pads and the Flex does best with foam.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of paint correction... Using foam pads. I don`t usually wet sand. So I think the flex is the way to go. But does one have more power then the other? Like Rpms wise? Also does one cut faster then the other if using the same compound?

-thanks nick.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use mf on the flex, but you need thick backing foam like surbuff pads.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Both are great tools and there is no wrong answer. I have more experience with the FLEX, and thus can get better results with that machine. In terms of correction power... The RUPES is a little better on flat panels, the FLEX on contours.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like the Rupes better. That being said I forced my self to use it for around 100 hours or so before I got where I could get the same results I was getting with a after a very short learning curve. From what I can tell the rupes is a very complicated machine to master. I watch my employees struggle with it all the time. I know me personally I can get same results with a rupes or flex. The rupes just goes faster for me. Unless your willing to practice a LOT the flex will be easier to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you wait for Duetto reviews?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    From what I can tell the rupes is a very complicated machine to master. I watch my employees struggle with it all the time.
    What do you think the reason is for struggling? Pushing it too hard to slow it down? I find the Rupes 15 benefited from a lighter touch (less pressure) and lower than normal marked speed (dial calibration is off anyway).

There is one consultant detailer at one seller that seems to think you need to use extreme pressure to get results with any DA forced or not.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

flex ftw
    i know the flex doesnt play nice with mf disc but they have LC purple wool that cuts more than MF on rupes w washer mod.
    and you have the LC BP system. Rupes you only have a choice between 5.5 or 6.5 pads.
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    What do you think the reason is for struggling? Pushing it too hard to slow it down? I find the Rupes 15 benefited from a lighter touch (less pressure) and lower than normal marked speed (dial calibration is off anyway).

There is one consultant detailer at one seller that seems to think you need to use extreme pressure to get results with any DA forced or not.
    I totally agree with light pressure, considering pressure =`s a ton of heat from a machine that already likes to get paint hot. I find using barely any pressure and the lowest speed possible to keep rotation and a smooth feel works best for me. That being said I constantly am adjusting speed setting while polishing with the rupes. My guys at work blow up pads or collapse pads, or have trouble keeping rotation. It`s heat build up is much higher than even a rotary from what I`ve see . I think this the biggest part of the learning curve, took me a while. Too much heat makes polishes preform poor(I think??? Todd??? Explain!) and it`s really annoying to destroy so many pad why figuring it out. I think I went through something like 3k in pads in 3 months getting use to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    flex ftw
    i know the flex doesnt play nice with mf disc but they have LC purple wool that cuts more than MF on rupes w washer mod.
    and you have the LC BP system. Rupes you only have a choice between 5.5 or 6.5 pads.
    A standard Purple Foamed Wool Pad on a FLEX will cut like a banshee.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s too bad you have to fight the damn Flex 3401 when polishing. I hate the machine for that reason. Can`t deny the forced rotation, but still, I don`t like it.

I just ordered a RUPES LHR 12E Duetto from ACC. I`m excited to use it! Got the washer mod ready to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, I`m really on the fence about this. I have used PC, PCXP, Cyclo, Flex DA and Rotaries (Makita and DeWalt) and I know you have adjust your technique with each type, throw in the variables of pad type and polishes, add in the multitude of paints (age, type, condition) and well, you have some choices now don`t you!
    I had thought that the Rupes was the holy grail after reading some of the comments, the price held me back and sometimes that`s a good thing. Now, not so sure. I firmly believe that some machines just work better for some people because they just "fit" their style better. It`s like pool or golf, some guys just seem to take to it like a duck to water. Me? I`m old enough to realize that I have to use what is comfortable to me and what I like to use, so it doesn`t feel so much like dreaded work.

Rotaries - smooth, can correct nicely, but you must tape up, cover up - or maybe you enjoy cleaning up splatter, and it`s tricky in tight spots. But, if you do boats -you GOT to have one!

PC and it`s cousins, the vibes man, the vibes, after a long day with that, my hands are hurtin! But, easy to use, and with the right pads/polish, will do the job.

Flex DA, honestly, I tried to like it, my buddy from up in NC swore I`d have to get it, wrong! that damn counter rotation and high pitched whine on 5 -6, made me hand it back over after 15 minutes. Thanks but No Thanks

Cyclo - odd machine, on and off, simple enough, good on big flat surfaces like hoods and roofs of Suburbans. The one I tried had those Edge pads and every time I tried to change one, seems like I always pinched my thumb in it. Jury is out...

Rupes????????

OK Todd, time for you to do a "How to Properly Use a Rupes" video or write up or both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information