Post Thanks / Like

Chrome tailpipe...

My car has a factory chrome tailpipe on it and I was wanting to find a good way to keep it clean and protected. I have read some old posts and got some ideas but had a few more questions/thoughts. In order to keep the chrome in great shape would it be good use SSR1 to polish it up and then use Megs gold class or Zaino to protect it? I was thinking that Zaino would be better since it lasts longer and withstands heat better.
    Does the appearance differ much from a sealant to a carnauba when used on chrome?
    (I also have blue magic all-metal polish. Would that polish be better than SSR1 for this?)
    Thanks!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think PB`s PP would be better at cleaning than SSR1. As for protecting it, a sealant would be better than carnauba. Go with your preference, but I believe Zaino to be way to expensive to be using on random chrome parts.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    If the chrome tailpipe (extension) is removable I suggest that you find a stainless steel replacement. Chrome tailpipes are going to eventaully rust no matter how well you care for it.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. So what is the best way to care for a stainless steel tailpipe? Is it the same basically (metal polish and sealant with maybe an occasional claying)?

Post Thanks / Like
    I polished the chrome exhaust off of a BMW 330Ci with Poorboys Professional Polish, it worked fantastic.

You can see the results if you do a search: "detailed a sapphire black 330ci"

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t waste time putting products on chrome. Clean it with Pro Polish regularly when you clean/detail the car and upkeep should be a snap. Wax products won`t last five seconds on a pipe that reaches hundreds of degrees. Carnauba melts @ 180 F and after blending with paraffin and beeswax the melting point is even lower (most car waxes are <17% carnauba [Info courtesy of Steve!]). Though I don`t have specs on each sealant, I can safely guess they won`t do much better. Remember the problem with rust/tarnish is heat and oxygen. You will never seal the pipe against oxygen with a couple wipe on applications of sealant. Therefore save your spendy sealants for paintwork and polish the thing regularly!
    Hope it helps.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Thread Information