Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best chamois to dry the car?

Hey guys, I`m looking to buy a new leather chamois and would like to know which brand is best? My last chamois was great and lasted over 5 years but I can`t remember the brand. I know that the sheepskin makes a big difference. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best chamois to dry the car?

Do away with those and get ya a blow dryer, or use your leaf blower...

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have an exact brand however make sure the sheepskin is from New Zealand. The sheep are bread for their skins rather than their wool so the hides are consistently of higher quality. Also make sure it is tanned in 100% fish oil which makes it soft and supple as well as absorbent and durable. Most of your major auto retailers (auto zone, advance auto, pep boys, etc.) will carry good quality chamois.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Do away with those and get ya a blow dryer, or use your leaf blower...
    My leaf blower would end up sand blasting my car, no filter, and I like how effective the chamois dries the car and how simple they are to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwnmke67 View Post
    I don’t have an exact brand however make sure the sheepskin is from New Zealand. The sheep are bread for their skins rather than their wool so the hides are consistently of higher quality. Also make sure it is tanned in 100% fish oil which makes it soft and supple as well as absorbent and durable. Most of your major auto retailers (auto zone, advance auto, pep boys, etc.) will carry good quality chamois.
    thanks for the tips, I think I have heard of New Zealand skins being better.

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Madness Dry me crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    Microfiber Madness Dry me crazy.
    Yep this is by far the best drying towel I`ve ever used. Microfiber is the way to go for many reasons. Leather was great for years, but there is much better out there now days

Post Thanks / Like

Proper water sheeting method, followed by a super quality drying towel is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my absorber, but damn if there is 1 grain of sand on the car!
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber towels made specifically for drying a car replaced the chamois quite a few years ago. They do a better job, cost less, and require no maintenance other than wash & dry. Try one and you`ll see why.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the recommendations to use MF products, however, I did not have a great experience with MF - I found that the tight weave of the MF trapped and held onto dirt, I didn`t like having to launder them separately from other materials and the towel was actually more expensive than chamois. So I decided to go back to a natural chamois which has always delivered great results. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it. I understand MF is popular but am looking for a good leather chamois brand only. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

dane6619, I`ve been using natural chamois for decades to dry vehicles and I found the Tanner`s Select brand genuine chamois to be the best quality chamois available. They are durable, soft, very absorbent, easy to wring out and have a good amount of nap to help reduce/eliminate marring the paint. I could not be more pleased. I found them in my local Advance Auto store but if you don`t have one close you can buy it online here - Tanners Select Chamois.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harrigrant91 View Post
    dane6619, I`ve been using natural chamois for decades to dry vehicles and I found the Tanner`s Select brand genuine chamois to be the best quality chamois available. They are durable, soft, very absorbent, easy to wring out and have a good amount of nap to help reduce/eliminate marring the paint. I could not be more pleased. I found them in my local Advance Auto store but if you don`t have one close you can buy it online here - Tanners Select Chamois.
    I will definitely check that out, thanks for the recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like

Personal tastes I reckon. I used natural Chamois for many years.
    There is a break in period, where you have to first get the Cod Liver Oil out of them. And they stink for a good while too. During that period, I note they do leave a film on the paint.

Then there`s a period after break in where I found they work OK. Then they near the end of their life, they begin to fall apart, and get as hard as a piece of Bacala (salt dried Cod)

Because of this somewhat limited time frame-life they have, many times I had hoped for something better to come along.

That product was the Water Sprite fake Chamois.

I used to buy them years ago, from a Wax Factory, and I really liked them.
    After the Wax Factory shut down, I had then seen the "Absorber" come to market.
    Thinking it was the same, I bought two.

I used them a few times, didn`t like them, still have them sitting in the shed, in their little tubes. Junk I thought. Same with the `Cham-Wow", another towel that missed the mark IMO.

Last year, I bought another Water Sprite, from either AG, or here, and it was like coming home.

Yes, MF is good, but I still personally like the Water Sprite about the best. I simply just throw it over a horizontal body panel, and draw it towards me, using no pressure on the towel.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dane6619 View Post
    Hey guys, I`m looking to buy a new leather chamois and would like to know which brand is best? My last chamois was great and lasted over 5 years but I can`t remember the brand. I know that the sheepskin makes a big difference. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Wow, I remember my Dad using a leather chamois and he`s long gone. 21st century equals microfiber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information