Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best chamois to dry the car?

The blower is more for the spots you can`t get, Ex, door jams, bumper lines and behind headlight/taillight edges. Also drying grills and wheels takes almost no time.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Though it`s arguable what the best drying product is, each is entitled to his/her own opinion. IMHO, there`s more bickering over the drying product/method when the odds of marring the paint or creating swirl marks are highest when you are washing the car and in contact with the highest volume of particulate rather than drying when the car is clean, or should be.

I personally still use a leather chamois to dry the car. The characteristics of a good quality sheepskin chamois still make it one of the safest options available. Soaps are formed in the leather as fish oil oxidizes during the tanning process which creates a slick feel and acts as added protection on the paint. The absorbent properties of the chamois combined with the nap of the skin itself will absorb any residual dirt remaining on the car post wash into the chamois and away from the paint while drying. The open fiber structure of the chamois allows it to also release dirt easily with a simple rinse – no laundry necessary. If properly taken care of, a quality sheepskin chamois will maintain these qualities for years and that makes it a very cost-effective option and why I continue to use them today instead of MF.
    So, to remind everyone that your original request was for chamois brand recommendations, I will offer mine once again.

Tanner’s Select Chamois – you can find them at most major auto retailers

Here is a good video on how to maintain the leather to extend the life of the chamois if you are interested.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHouFXGM98"]How to Take Care of Your Natural Leather Chamois - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

The blower is more for the spots you can`t get, Ex, door jams, bumper lines and behind headlight/taillight edges. Also drying grills and wheels takes almost no time.
    I agree. So any compressed air will do that job. Examples:

Leaf blower
    Air Compressor
    Vac N Blo
    Shop Vac

Back to discussing drying the paint.

I`d be more worried about those MF mitts than the chamois. Those mitts move dirt around the car. That`s why I switched to natural sponges.

Thanks for the video on chamois care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harrigrant91 View Post
    Though it`s arguable what the best drying product is, each is entitled to his/her own opinion. IMHO, there`s more bickering over the drying product/method when the odds of marring the paint or creating swirl marks are highest when you are washing the car and in contact with the highest volume of particulate rather than drying when the car is clean, or should be.

I personally still use a leather chamois to dry the car. The characteristics of a good quality sheepskin chamois still make it one of the safest options available. Soaps are formed in the leather as fish oil oxidizes during the tanning process which creates a slick feel and acts as added protection on the paint. The absorbent properties of the chamois combined with the nap of the skin itself will absorb any residual dirt remaining on the car post wash into the chamois and away from the paint while drying. The open fiber structure of the chamois allows it to also release dirt easily with a simple rinse – no laundry necessary. If properly taken care of, a quality sheepskin chamois will maintain these qualities for years and that makes it a very cost-effective option and why I continue to use them today instead of MF.
    I agree. I use a natural chamois as well and never have any issues swirling or scratching the paint. If I get swirl marks it’s always because my car was very dirty when I washed it, not because of the chamois.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    I`d be more worried about those MF mitts than the chamois. Those mitts move dirt around the car. That`s why I switched to natural sponges.

I also have gone to using a big natural sea sponge for washing and could not be happier, much better than the MF knobby mitt I wash using.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m confident that many high quality, proven products have been dismissed due to years of critics on forums like this and others.

MF is just another choice for drying, but not necessarily the best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

So, to remind everyone that your original request was for chamois brand recommendations, I will offer mine once again.

Tanner’s Select Chamois – you can find them at most major auto retailers

Here is a good video on how to maintain the leather to extend the life of the chamois if you are interested.

How to Take Care of Your Natural Leather Chamois - YouTube
    Thanks again for your recommendation of the Tanner`s Select chamois. I found it at my local auto parts store and used it this weekend. Also, thanks for the video, got some good tips and reminded me to rinse the chamois before using it.

The chamois itself is excellent quality and performed perfectly drying the car. Very pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=harrigrant91;486351] Soaps are formed in the leather as fish oil oxidizes during the tanning process which creates a slick feel and acts as added protection on the paint.

That`s a new one..fish oil oxidizes and adds added protection on the paint. Give me a break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gloss View Post
    I`m confident that many high quality, proven products have been dismissed due to years of critics on forums like this and others.

MF is just another choice for drying, but not necessarily the best choice.
    What often happens is some products get re-named and then relaunched at a higher price. Many of these new glass cleaning towels are really just variations of the lowly chamois. The absorber was great on glass.

Or concepts get integrated and called some new wash method that really is several existing ideas in one process.

What has happened is some older products and concepts were not often reliable (too much dependent on technique like how to properly care for it) so new products like microfiber raised the overall quality of drying process. For example, the old PC 7424 with M83/M80 could correct paint -- just slowly -- but more better tools, pads, polishes, now make it easier for more people to achieve better results.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

[html][/html]
    Quote Originally Posted by dane6619 View Post
    I appreciate the recommendations to use MF products, however, I did not have a great experience with MF - I found that the tight weave of the MF trapped and held onto dirt, I didn`t like having to launder them separately from other materials and the towel was actually more expensive than chamois. So I decided to go back to a natural chamois which has always delivered great results. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it. I understand MF is popular but am looking for a good leather chamois brand only. Thanks.
    Both the Pitchard and the Prince of Wales Chamois are considered the best. You can use your forum discount and save by ordering the Prince of Wales directly from Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

you couldnt pay me to use a Chamois or abosrber style product on my car. No way do i want to take a chance of some dirt particle on the paint and the flat no pile of chamois just drag it along and scratch the hell out of it. I will always use MF to make sure it can pull any dirt away from the paint and keep it safer

Post Thanks / Like

New Zealand Lambskin Chamois have a short pile that works just like a WWT.

According to the manufacturer:

The particles are held within the hollow fiber of the leather, eliminating abrasion.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;486632]
    Soaps are formed in the leather as fish oil oxidizes during the tanning process which creates a slick feel and acts as added protection on the paint.

That`s a new one..fish oil oxidizes and adds added protection on the paint. Give me a break.
    I`ve heard it also bleeds Omega 3 and makes your hands soft.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Mr. Gloss;486662]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

I`ve heard it also bleeds Omega 3 and makes your hands soft.
    So if it leeches into my skin, would it be heart healthy too ?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFub41AB4o]Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel - YouTube[/ame]

I also dry like this, but I use a drying aid as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wvb1uzTpn8]Dry Me Crazy Towel Demo - YouTube[/ame]

but will be getting a Dry Me Crazy Towel, very soon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information