Post Thanks / Like

Building Clientele

I have found it difficult to get many clients. I have only been in business a little over a week so im not too worried about it. I`ve been everywhere passing flyers and business cards. Talked to managers from many companies in town.

The main problem is, There are a few places who do a basic interior and exterior service for $20.. But they don`t even do a great job.. Mine starts around $35 and i do an excellent job... But people don`t seem to understand the difference between detailing and your basic wash.. I live in a somewhat poor city so i guess i might have to price match? And get a lot more clients. My full detail prices aren`t changing. I start at $125 and it can go up to $200.

All these people around here use crappy wal-mart consumer products.. And their full details are "A all in one hand wax". That they claim does just as good as my machine compound, polish and sealant or wax.... No way.

Any advice on some business strategies to help my business?

Thanks.
    Tyler Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building Clientele

You`ve got to market your business to people who actually care about their vehicles. The average car owner takes thier vehicle through the drive through car wash for several reasons... 1) it is quicker than them having to do it 2) it is easier than washing it yourself 3) it is relatively inexpensive 4) they don`t know any better.

I have found that car clubs are a great place to market your business because it is a group of people that generally care for their vehicles more than the average owner. These people may take the time to understand what you are saying and understand why you are different than "Bob`s Wash and Wax" down the street. Also, these people tend to know other "Car People" and even if they don`t set up an appointment with you, they may refer a friend to you. Word of mouth is a powerful tool, but you have to find the right people to talk to in the first place.

If you market to the general public, expect to get a lot of general wash & wax type of jobs and expect for your customers to want to pay as little as possible. If you market to a more specialized audience, you will get more specialized jobs (ie paint correction).

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you geographically located. Seems there are niches of business in certian areas and like other people said, you need to find people who value their cars and your service.

Try showing up at a car`s and Coffee event. I have guys wanted to show me their Ipad picture and take apost card business card at every event I go to. I have a guy literally drag me over to his Z and tell me what protection is on every pannel and spritz water on each to show me the beading and how he could blow the water off .

The only mistake he made with me was telling me he has his products made for him. Which is either BS or he has them private labeled, or perhaps he pours them into a bottle with his label on it. In any case he lost all credibility with me based on that.

For me, I do my own cars but he did get alot of interest. You need to get one or 2 guys hooked and they tell their friends. Hopefully you fall into a guy with serveral cars and he keeps you busy.

If you consistantly put out quality work, you will keep those that value quality.

I remember my first sales job. Everyone seemed to want the lowest price and it was hard to compete. I matched prices all over town and made very little dispite selling a ton of stuff. I cmplained that I sold all this stuff but only made the much $? My boss told me the competition does not lower your price, you do!

He was right, people need a justification on why your better. When people say your too expensive, tell them why you are worth it. Tell them what the pitfalls are of a cheap service. Offer to have them call some of you satisfied clients.

If you are better than the competiton, you need to figure out how to convey that in a neat concise presentation or package. If you not better than the competition, it is time to figure out how to make it on what you can charge or look for something else to do.

Pictures (before and after), testimonials, and on site demonstrations are great.
    It is not =easy to start out and if you quit you never suceede, but getting to sucess is discused as hard work. You will need to be the VP of sales, Marketing, promotion, quality control and production all wraped up in one. You can do it, if you feel strongly you want to grow this business.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Buff n stuff View Post
    I have found it difficult to get many clients. I have only been in business a little over a week so im not too worried about it. I`ve been everywhere passing flyers and business cards. Talked to managers from many companies in town.

The main problem is, There are a few places who do a basic interior and exterior service for $20.. But they don`t even do a great job.. Mine starts around $35 and i do an excellent job... But people don`t seem to understand the difference between detailing and your basic wash.. I live in a somewhat poor city so i guess i might have to price match? And get a lot more clients. My full detail prices aren`t changing. I start at $125 and it can go up to $200.

All these people around here use crappy wal-mart consumer products.. And their full details are "A all in one hand wax". That they claim does just as good as my machine compound, polish and sealant or wax.... No way.

Any advice on some business strategies to help my business?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that word of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool for me. Sure facebook and flyers will help get you by but its not the same. Im sure your work is strides better then your other competiors, so all you need now is to build your foundation and it will take off from there. My business right now is basically all word of mouth customers. And i have police departments and universities that i take care of on the regular. Its not the quickest way to get your client base going, but once you do its an awesome ride!

I have been in contact with companies like groupon and living social, they can be great client builders but ive heard some many headaches can come from it. Its part of the reason i stay away from going that route.
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I too live in a fairly poor area so I know how you feel. Ive been building a client list for 17 years and am still not where I want to be with it. It takes a lot of time and dedication. Dont expect to have people blowing your phone up after being in business for a week. Do your very best on every car you get, and forget those $20 guys even exist. Dont speak of them to clients, dont compare yourself to them, nothing unless they bring it up. If you want to set yourself apart from them, then take the high road and BE better than them. If your looking to stay busy, hit up the dealerships. You might get lucky and land a few good accounts from it. There is no shame in dealer work when your doing this for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen carefully to the above advice.

THEY SPEAK THE TRUTH

Just as a side issue, don`t think that just because someone uses "walmart" over the counter stuff their details are crap. There are many people here that can make a car look great with stuff from wally world.

It`s 90% technique + 10% product
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with all the above.

Ill just add while you are busy seeking and taking new work. Don`t ever get too busy to take care of the clients that take care of you. They ARE your word of mouth. Find a time efficient extra to throw in for them. It sounds simple but you can easily get swamped with nickel and dime work.
    I prefer to offer a sealant even for my most basic. It lasts longer and sets you apart without any more time.

As time goes on you can build on more services just make sure you do them better.

All the above and this let me work on a few nice cars with good people.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

most of the pros here give the customer more than they expect. that`s one reason they are pros.

a happy customer tells his friends, and un happy one tells everybody
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like Ron`s post twice if I could. Reason being it has been said " you are only as good as your last detail"
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This is all really good advice. You will quickly see that word of mouth will become your most powerful tool when it comes to growing your customer base. Also after you have a solid client base and a reputation maybe push into a neighboring area that has more disposable income.

The car show idea is a good one, I walk the docks at least once a weekend at a different marina in an area im trying to target and speak to any and everyone who will listen and point out things they can be doing differently to keep their boats looking good or areas that may need touching up.

Lastly one of the best things to do would be to get yourself some corporate accounts, thats where youll see the money start to roll in because they will give you volume and pay good money, this is how I really make my money it consolidates my work to one area and I dont have to chase down dozens of individual clients they all come from a centralized source or sources if you have more than one place or manufacturer.
    Austin
    Owner L&I Detailing - Yacht Management

Thread Information