Post Thanks / Like

Blended Paint/Clearcoat

My drivers side doors and some of the quarterpanel a pretty darn hazy. Before I do any correction I`d like to know what I`m getting into. Growing up around the bodyshop I can definitely tell the sides been repainted and blended into the quarter. Normally it`s wetsanded and buffed and it isn`t noticeable. IMO it looks like the look it has when it`s just sprayed out of the gun and not touched. Not sure on this one, I know the rest of the car has been buffed, but not sure if this panel was wetsanded. There aren`t any noticeable holograms in the paint.

Few crappy pictures.

Blend spot

Question for you fellas is how in the world do I go and tackle this? Tools at my disposal are GG6, SSR1, SSR2.5, SSR3, and an array of coarse to really fine pads. I`m itching to try and wetsand a lower spot, but am gunshy after the Frontier hood fiasco (that wasn`t even wetsanded by me)
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blended Paint/Clearcoat

I am curious to know how a pro would handle this also. Some jackass hit my car and i`m getting the quarter panel re-sprayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it isn`t just over spray?

Start with your least aggressive option and go from there

Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanding is not going to blend your clear coat

Post Thanks / Like

Ive fixed my fair share of crap paint jobs and blends, and always done it by wetsanding. If you can look at it and tell its a repaint, then it could use improvement anyway. If it was me doing it, I would sand the entire side and start fresh. That way it ends up looking uniform. You can eventually do it with the GG6, but be prepared for it to take a while, especially if you dont work up to a really high grit. Also, the SSR line wouldnt be my first choice for this task. If you like Poorboys stuff, get a bottle of Master Cut and use that to cut the scratches out. I think I would go 2000 then cross it out with 3000. Research cross hatch sanding if that dont make sense to you. Now if you were using a rotary, you could chew out 1000 grit if you wanted, but there is no need in going to that extreme on this. Like I said, this is just how I would handle it. Im sure others will offer great advise as well that might suit your needs better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    No it wont, but it can make it much less noticable. Its something that should have been done by the guy who painted it, but you know how that goes.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

To keep this all in perspective, please know that the Blend is really thinned down paint that was used on the repair.
    There might not be much of it to begin with.
    If you accidentally take it all off, or take it off unevenly, well, then you have that to deal with..
    A good Painter like I was, would never let the car go out with out all the panels on that side of the vehicle looking exactly the same.
    I never had to sand down a Blend because I knew how and took the time to put it on correctly in the first place.
    All I ever did was compound the entire side so it all looked the same and that did it.
    I use a shop over here for my Clients that want me to get work done on their vehicles along with the Detail, and they never do this kind of work.
    Sorry this had to happen to you.
    Good luck
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Oh, I definitely know that, but I`m attempting to make it less hazy. Most of the public doesn`t notice it, but my OCD kicks in in these situations. Gonna take a couple lower test spots to see what I`m working with. If it doesn`t come out, I`ll leave well enough alone and respray the whole car myself. The trunk deck has been done as well, it doesn`t look quite as bad. Looks as if the painter used too much reducer though. Thanks for your replies!

I guess it`s a gamble I take. To find the best deal I can typically the vehicles have had some bodywork on it, but I save a couple grand on the purchase price. Paint supplies would cost me about $500 for this car and can make it look like it never happened.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Thread Information