Post Thanks / Like

When starting a mobile detailing business..

Okay guys, im getting ready to start ordering everything i need to start my full time mobile detailing business.. I`m just trying to figure out what all i need.

I have a Dodge 1500 Hemi truck to start with..

As far as equipment these are what im sure i will need.

Tote (Idk what size to get)

Would you guys suggest getting a trailer to haul the tote? It isn`t a long bed, so im not sure if the back of the truck can haul a tote, shop vac`s, shampooer etc.. I thought of getting a truck bed slider. The thing that you put all the equipment on and able to slide it out like a drawer.

Shop Vac and some different Tips.

Shampooer (No idea which one)

Water pump (Dont know what brand or size)

Foam Gun (Dont know which one)

Pressure washer (Dont know)

Hex Logic pads

Zaino Borderless Blonde Micro`s (If i can ever get my hands on some)

10 x 10 or 12 x 12 Ezup tent

2 Grid Guards

Porter Cable 7424

Still learning which cleaning supplies, polishers, wax, etc etc. (Please give input on what yo reccomend.

Please help me out here guys!
    Tyler Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When starting a mobile detailing business..

Are you planning to be self contained (supply your own water and electric)? Heres something you need to know about shampooers (otherwise known as extractors). Most of the good units run off of 20 amps. If your using the clients power outlets, your running the risk of popping a breaker..dont ask how I know that. Also, you have many choices with extracors. There are so many out there, but I still love Mytee the best. You need to decide weather or not you want a heated unit or not, because that will determain how much your going to spend. You wont find a good heated extractor for under $500. Cold water units will range from $100 up. I would suggest for now you start out with a Bissle Pro Heat for $100 at Wal Mart and spend the savings on something like insurance or other equpiment. Dont bury yourself with thousands of dollars worth of toys right off the bat. You might realize this isnt for you, and then your stuck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

http://http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/mobile-detailing-rigs/42454-barren-hill-detail-mobile-trailer.html[/URL]

The link above was a post I put up about my detailing trailer. You need to consider how you`re going to protect your investment from weather and thieves. Having it out in the open can be asking for trouble.

As far as supplies don`t go crazy, do plenty of research. You`ll find out what you really need and what can do without. I ordered a lot of supplies last year without doing some solid research. I got both griots DA buffers 6", 3" and had I known about the rupes I would`ve ordered that instead. I purchased a 12x12 pop up tent and grateful I have it.

One essential tool I have is a rotary buffer and a nylon bristle brush attachment for it, this saves time and energy and I mean lots of energy. It makes scrubbing carpets and leather a breeze!

There`s lots of great people and information on here!!
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Dont bury yourself with thousands of dollars worth of toys right off the bat. You might realize this isnt for you, and then your stuck with it.

I always cringe a little when I read posts here of people asking about starting a full time business and are ready to jump in with a large investment and don`t have any real experience. This job might look easy and exciting but it is anything but that most of the time. Detailing your own car or friend`s cars is far different than detailing a stranger`s car for money, both in their expectations and your motivation.

It is possible to create great results without all the big, expensive equipment. It just takes a little longer and working smart. Start small and focus on the necessities. Continue to read and research here. It will help you more to research the answers to your questions in the long run because you will have a better understanding of why a particular tool or product is the better choice. So many times inexperienced people try to use the same tools and products that they heard create great results only to fail to achieve the same. It isn`t always the tools, but the skill/knowledge of the detailer that makes the difference.

If you are willing to invest a significant amount of money I recommend putting it into some form of training. That training should teach you all you need to know to determine for yourself what tools and materials you need. There are courses available, but if you can find a reputable person in your area willing to help I think you will be better off. Even someone who can just act as a coach for you will help you learn much quicker than trial and error.

I wish you luck in your venture, whatever path you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    I always cringe a little when I read posts here of people asking about starting a full time business and are ready to jump in with a large investment and don`t have any real experience. This job might look easy and exciting but it is anything but that most of the time. Detailing your own car or friend`s cars is far different than detailing a stranger`s car for money, both in their expectations and your motivation.

It is possible to created great results without all the big, expensive equipment. It just takes a little longer and working smart. Start small and focus on the necessities. Continue to read and research here. It will help you more to research the answers to your questions in the long run because you will have a better understanding of why a particular tool or product is the better choice. So many times inexperienced people try to use the same tools and products that they heard create great results only to fail to achieve the same. It isn`t always the tools, but the skill/knowledge of the detailer that makes the difference.

If you are willing to invest a significant amount of money I recommend putting it into some form of training. That training should teach you all you need to know to determine for yourself what tools and materials you need. There are courses available, but if you can find a reputable person in your area willing to help I think you will be better off. Even someone who can just act as a coach for you will help you learn much quicker than trial and error.

I couldn`t have said it better, before i started my business i worked in a dealership for 3 years learning everything I could. And being from Philadelphia there wasn`t a lot of training around my area.
    Lets GO FLYERS!!
    www.BarrenHillDetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been doing it for about 4 years now. The only thing i haven`t done is use a rotary buffer. I started out with my own car. Then family. i now go to my mom`s office and wash maybe 6-7 cars a week with their water and power. So im not exactly a noob. I can make a car look great. I`ve always shampooed carpet with a hand brush... Normally taking 2-3 hours doing that itself.
    Tyler Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post

It is possible to create great results without all the big, expensive equipment. It just takes a little longer and working smart. Start small and focus on the necessities. Continue to read and research here. It will help you more to research the answers to your questions in the long run because you will have a better understanding of why a particular tool or product is the better choice. So many times inexperienced people try to use the same tools and products that they heard create great results only to fail to achieve the same. It isn`t always the tools, but the skill/knowledge of the detailer that makes the difference.

Glad that you have said this as I am also looking to get into the business. I have searched around in my area for someone to train but no luck. I have found a detailing school about 2 hours away from my place which will cost 1200 bucks but they teach everything, would also love to go to the training school that Chemical Guys have but when it says "financing available" on their website it makes me cringe to see how much it would actually cost. Would be a good excuse to travel though. Cant wait to learn and start making cars look beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

The choice of words i chose make me seem like a complete beginner, but i am not. Only to a couple of things.. Just alectric buffing and things in that nature... Taking a class would be nice... I love coming here to search for what i need to know. And also check out "The Junkman" on Youtube, he has great, instructional videos. He tells the do`s and the dont`s and also is very thorough.. A simple "How to remove bugs" video on his page is literally like 12 minutes long.
    Tyler Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Also, i have saved 7,000$ just for my business!!!!!!
    Tyler Auto Detailing

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got down your time on what it takes to perform certain services? You will also need to figure in travel to get a good idea what you need to charge for the basics. Start thinking about grouping appt. that are close in travel. the biggest downfall to mobile can be weather and travel. Although it does carry the least overhead when your by yourself. Also check with your local SCORE advisers. They can review your business plan or help you develop one that is effective.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Thread Information