Post Thanks / Like

have a white/grey film on interior glass

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Tx area and both my `04 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon and my wife`s 2007 Dodge Magnum R/T (wagon hence the "wagon family")... BOTh have this white-ish/grey film on the interior glass, mainly the windshield. It is oily in nature and refuses to go away.

I have the Invisible glass triangle tool thing, fresh micro-fiber bonnets. two of them actually, as to not cross contaminate the cars. Both bonnets have been cleaned in the wash in hot water and mild detergent, no treatments, no drier sheets etc. So I know its not the MF bonnets. I have tried distilled h20, windex, Stoners, invisible glass, and meguires glass products... NOTHING is cutting this oily mess...

I clean the windows and within 24-48 hours the layer reappears.

the only thing I have not tried is covering the dash in 2-3 layers of bath towels, washing the glass in dawn dish liquid+water and a fresh MF cloth, let air dry then try normal cleaning methods...

Neither car was owned by a previous smoker and we are 2nd owner on both.

PLEASE HELP! I am lost.. its driving me crazy!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: have a white/grey film on interior glass

Did you use anything to "dress / protect" the dash and plastics? This sounds like a protectant "off gassing" and leaving a film on the glass. I have noticed this when I detail my interior and use an interior dressing. When it gets really warm out I then get this film.

One of my favorite glass cleaning tools is the CarPro Fast Glass Towel.
    Link: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ass-towel.html

Post Thanks / Like

also try polishing the windshield interior/exterior with a dedicated glass polish, like CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish 150 ml . sometimes it`s the only thing that will truly remove built up coatings from the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Since both vehicles are different brands, it has to be something caused by the environment (ozone) it`s in or as Troy says, a treatment used in both vehicles.

It may also be related to the A/C/ emissions. Change the cabin filters.

According to the Texas Air Quality Report; your area has moderate to unhealthy ozone today and tomorrow, and quite often, from March through October. Ozone can produce a film over glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

Did you use anything to "dress / protect" the dash and plastics? This sounds like a protectant "off gassing" and leaving a film on the glass. I have noticed this when I detail my interior and use an interior dressing. When it gets really warm out I then get this film.

One of my favorite glass cleaning tools is the CarPro Fast Glass Towel.
    Link: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ass-towel.html

This would be my first thought as well.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WagonFamily View Post
    I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Tx area and both my `04 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon and my wife`s 2007 Dodge Magnum R/T (wagon hence the "wagon family")... BOTh have this white-ish/grey film on the interior glass, mainly the windshield. It is oily in nature and refuses to go away.

I have the Invisible glass triangle tool thing, fresh micro-fiber bonnets. two of them actually, as to not cross contaminate the cars. Both bonnets have been cleaned in the wash in hot water and mild detergent, no treatments, no drier sheets etc. So I know its not the MF bonnets. I have tried distilled h20, windex, Stoners, invisible glass, and meguires glass products... NOTHING is cutting this oily mess...

I clean the windows and within 24-48 hours the layer reappears.

the only thing I have not tried is covering the dash in 2-3 layers of bath towels, washing the glass in dawn dish liquid+water and a fresh MF cloth, let air dry then try normal cleaning methods...

Neither car was owned by a previous smoker and we are 2nd owner on both.

PLEASE HELP! I am lost.. its driving me crazy!

Rob
    Looks like what everyone has mention that could be the problem you have, I find that sometimes it`s a film build up from interior protectants, smoking, and/or cloths wash with reg soap that will leave some type of film on it. I would try using a 75 / 23 ISP with water or vinger 50% with water and see if you can remove whats on it. Remember to use clean towels that have been wash with a M/F soap and warm or cold dry before using them on your glass.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with ZZM5, I have run into a few windshields (and for some reason ONLY windshields) where the only thing that will clean them is something with a HIGH alcohol content. I`ve used Rain-X followed by a regular window cleaner and that has worked well for me.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information