Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone, new here and would like some advice.

Just like to say hi, Ive learned alot from this site already from just browsing.

Im young, only 16 but have been washing and detailing cars for over 5 years, though just on a personal/family level. Forget about age though,people think im at least 3-4 years older. Im interested in starting a little detail business in my residential area. This area is a gated community in South Florida w/ approx. 300 homes. To make this as easy as I can I`ll ask questions in order:

1. How would I go about starting this??(My idea is to just make business cards up on the computer and put them on everyones mailbox or door....good idea or no?)

2. What should my prices be? (I thought $20 quik hand wash and dry to lure them in and top out at maybe $125-200 for a full all out detail.) Keep in mind these are $300,000-450,000 dollar homes in this area and these people have money.

3. Since this is strictly within the community, should I offer to wash it at our house or just go straight to there house and use their water and elec?

4. The final question is.....Ive searched alot but Id like personal advice....what is my best bet in a particular product line? I know that the over the counter stuff is pretty lame to a pro....but average people dont know the difference......but I want to leave a lasting impression too. So what is the best bang for the buck quality product offered??? Over the counter or through distributors?

Here is a pic of my car a week after it was waxed....keep in mind that it was a poor wax too, Megs Gold Class. Though it was claybar`d.

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meg`s Gold Class is a great product. I would make flyers with price lists and put them around the hood.
    I know you have a home owners association, right? Attend a meeting and explain to everyone who you are and what you offer. There alot of products at the stores to get you started.

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over the counter attracts an 80% margin, buying more concentrated products in bulk will save in the longrun and cash talks to most distributers/franchisers. Best to wait until the work will consume the volume though! Mailouts are more effective than card drops. It`s hard not to read a flyer while you`re carrying it to the bin! A couple of tear-off vouchers i.e 10%, 2nd car save 25% etc. The same gimicks the pizza shops use. The flyer must be professional and concise. Think A2 sizing, spend the extra and get them printed at the press. Remember you`re trying to entice the people that like their $450K houses and lifestyles, appeal to this ego! Work at their place, it`s so convenient for people working to maintain these size mortgages, let them watch sportschannel or play in the backyard with the kids while you ever so helpfully take care of that car maintenance. You`re making time for these people! Good luck, keep us all posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    heh WELCOME _ what do they issue caddilacs when you hit 16 in FLA? It should be the official car of FLA :lol
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    annnnd on to the advice.. Since you live there - what kind of neighborhood is it (by this I mean...) do people talk to people or is it keep to yourself. Word of mouth can do you good if the neighbors talk. Start with you neighbors (if it`s a talky kind o place) and it should grow from there.
    If not then maybe you could print up something nice and go door to door just putting it in their mailbox (be sure and mention you live in the neighborhood in the flyer! People are ususally more comfortable having people who live in their neighborhood over to their house).
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    The neighborhood is sort of talky talky.........and there is alot of nice cars here too, one guy has 3 brand new Lexus`s, LS,SC,GX.

About the Caddy, lol I was looking for a Carpice or Impala but when I found this I thought it was a Creme Puff at only 52k. I just had to have it.

Thread Information