Post Thanks / Like

Which for drying...chamois or synthetic ?

I`ve always used real chamois, but i need a new one and i was thinking whether I should try one of those synthetic chamois or go for another real one. Money isn`t an object so i`d just as soon get a real one unless the fakes work better. And note that i`m not a detailer or fanatic about it at all. If it scratches the paint a bit, even that`s no biggie unless it`s horrific. Just want something that works well and thought maybe the fake ones might work even better. Which one? How do they stack up as far as advantages and disadvantages?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which for drying...chamois or synthetic ?

if money is not an object why not got for a blower to clean the water off without even touching the paint?

i have use the towel pros ww and the auto geek cobra ww (non-hd) and i like them both but the cobra ww seems to work better in my opinion, although it does snag alot of the emblems on vehicles and slightly tear at times

i stopped using a chamois years ago because it kept leaving yellow stuff on my black paint

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but i really just wanna know which dries better, chamois or fake. I suppose what i`m really asking is which will suck up the most water before wringing it out, a real chamois or fake one. And i`m talking something you`d get from target or such, not some high end boutique one i`d have to get online. Just the typical target or walmart offering.

Post Thanks / Like

ww micro
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Most, if not all people who post here use forced air and / or waffle weave microfiber to dry their vehicles. I`m not entirely sure someone here will have the answer you seek, however...

I`d never put a chamois on my car, even before I learned about detailing, that, and the performance of a waffle weave microfiber is leaps and bounds beyond the crap they sell as drying towels at Target and Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t used a real chamio in at least 15 years. I use the synthetic chamio (fake one as you call it) IMO they soak up much more water and they don`t scratch the paint at all

Waffle Weave Microfibers I find to be a hassle to wring-out

You might also check out a water blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dooyaunastan View Post
    I`m not entirely sure someone here will have the answer you seek, however...

the performance of a waffle weave microfiber is leaps and bounds beyond the crap they sell as drying towels at Target and Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

i have used one of those synthetic chaomis that comes in the plastic container at walmart. i think it was called the absorber...did not care much for it...had a crappy synthetic off yellow chamois thing in a meg`s kit a buddy gave me a few years back and it was worse

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

i`m old school too guy and nothing takes up water like a real deerskin chamois although it does leave lint on my black car. when i can i will use my master blaster to clear the water on my car. when i can`t or don`t feel like dragging it out i`ll use the cobra waffle weave. but i still believe the natural chamois can`t be beat for water absorption.

Post Thanks / Like

Cobra Guzzlers are tough to beat imo. They seem to get better with age. I use them after a good sheeting rinse and a blower.

Post Thanks / Like

dazco,

I understand you are a weekend warrior and are looking for the best bang for your buck.

So, here`s the rub.

Stay away from Synthetic Chamois (Absorber and the like):

• Less expensive for reason - they lack NAP (or pile that pull dirt into the material and away from you paint as you wash). So, ANYTHING trapped between your paint and a fake chamois can mar your paint

Microfiber - Also not good (against popular belief)

• Good at absorbing/cleaning dirt off the car
    • Very BAD at releasing that dirt from the material
    • IN FACT, a popular MF product in my garage (unused gift from christmas) has the following on the back of the package, "Microfiber will not scratch surfaces, however, it can pick up and trap particles that can scratch."

Natural leather chamois - Best IMO

• Has NAP that ABSORB residual particulate off the car while drying
    • you can frequently rinse and wring out the chamois as you dry the car - releasing potentially abrasive particulate
    • simple maintenance will keep a chamois lasting for years

Here is a good article on the subject if your interested and a good vid on how to maintain your chamois as well.

How to Choose the Best Car Drying Cloth or Towel
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHouFXGM98"]How to Take Care of Your Natural Leather Chamois - YouTube[/ame]

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see anything wrong with the absorber and have used one for years.I like it alot better then a leather shammy and think it absorbs better too.

I wouldnt use it on my own vehicle or customers for that matter if I thought it caused scratches.

I know everyone says it scrathes but I dont think so. Dont use it with ONR though.

If you get on get the X large size!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a high quality waffle weave is the best. I`m having a hard time believing that a chamois has more nap and more ability to trap particles and not scratch than a waffle weave.

The fake ones a just bad. I had the P21S one and it started shedding little pieces of itself all over the paint. I through it out a year ago and have never looked back.

I`m not sure if you use a drying aid, like a QD or Aquawax, but waffle weave towels really excel with these. I can`t see using that stuff with a chamois.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomjack70 View Post
    dazco,

I understand you are a weekend warrior and are looking for the best bang for your buck.

So, here`s the rub.

Stay away from Synthetic Chamois (Absorber and the like):

• Less expensive for reason - they lack NAP (or pile that pull dirt into the material and away from you paint as you wash). So, ANYTHING trapped between your paint and a fake chamois can mar your paint

Microfiber - Also not good (against popular belief)

• Good at absorbing/cleaning dirt off the car
    • Very BAD at releasing that dirt from the material
    • IN FACT, a popular MF product in my garage (unused gift from christmas) has the following on the back of the package, "Microfiber will not scratch surfaces, however, it can pick up and trap particles that can scratch."

Natural leather chamois - Best IMO

• Has NAP that ABSORB residual particulate off the car while drying
    • you can frequently rinse and wring out the chamois as you dry the car - releasing potentially abrasive particulate
    • simple maintenance will keep a chamois lasting for years

Here is a good article on the subject if your interested and a good vid on how to maintain your chamois as well.

How to Choose the Best Car Drying Cloth or Towel
    How to Take Care of Your Natural Leather Chamois - YouTube

Hope this helps
    best vid i`ve seen yet on how to care for a chamois... thanks

Thread Information