Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It`s all about the details

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    There is so much focus on the polishing of paint that I feel other aspects of detailing get downplayed. It is apparent by the numerous posts with questions about polishing that it appears to be an overwhelming and daunting task to achieve perfect paint. But detailing is about, well… the details. Hopefully this post will serve to aid new detailers and DIYers to understand the importance of the little details. I also hope it will help educate the non-autopians about the difference between a “car wash & wax” and a “detail” and why there is such a wide variance in the prices.

Title and first paragraph says it all !!!

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The pic you had of the front reminds me of what mine looks like right now

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    Chris very nice work! if you don`t mind me asking what do you do for cleaning around the badges like the 50/50 shot you showed the 5d?
    Depends on how bad. Sometimes steam, sometimes APC with an appropriate brush, sometimes a Q-tip, sometimes a MF towel wrapped around a stiff object like the card mentioned or a narrow brush handle. In this case It was just a MF towel folded to a point with finger pressure. It takes some bending and twisting of the arm to make sure to get up against all the edges. It is also important to note that sometimes what appears to be dirt is simply glue residue from the emblem that has become discolored. Sometimes you have to know when enough is enough and that perfection is not always realistic. If you really are that OCD (I can be at times) the emblem can be removed, area polished, and emblem reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    Depends on how bad. Sometimes steam, sometimes APC with an appropriate brush, sometimes a Q-tip, sometimes a MF towel wrapped around a stiff object like the card mentioned or a narrow brush handle. In this case It was just a MF towel folded to a point with finger pressure. It takes some bending and twisting of the arm to make sure to get up against all the edges. It is also important to note that sometimes what appears to be dirt is simply glue residue from the emblem that has become discolored. Sometimes you have to know when enough is enough and that perfection is not always realistic. If you really are that OCD (I can be at times) the emblem can be removed, area polished, and emblem reapplied.
    Thanks chris lots of great info there
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is the little things destroy big details. You can make paint look amazing, etc, but the tiny cracks here and there make you sleep uncomfortably at night.

Make sure you charge accordingly for all the work!

Post Thanks / Like

Not only outstanding work but a true look at the "little things" that make a huge difference in the completed job. Really a great reminder to some and an eye opener to others. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend agree with you Chris, my client have been with me for years, for a few reasons. The biggest is the attention to detail on their cars. I get complements all the time on areas of the car, that got cleaned and dressed, that they didn`t even think about.

Where the paint is WAY important, the details make it come together and make an OK job a spectacular one
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Chris!!! You stole my line I always screaming this at my team! I`m gonna make them all sit down and read this! If they actually listen for more than 2 days I`ll give you commissions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Awesome work Chris!!! You stole my line I always screaming this at my team! I`m gonna make them all sit down and read this! If they actually listen for more than 2 days I`ll give you commissions
    Send me their phone numbers, photos of their kids and the schools they go to. I`ll get it done for you.

In all seriousness, often employees, hear the same thing over and over from their boss that it loses effectiveness. Sometimes it takes an outside source to drive a point home. Children are the same way.

A long time ago I saw a restaurant manager get called to a table about dirty silverware and glasses at a table. The manager went to the back and returned with the dishwasher and made the dishwasher personally apologize to the table. I`m guessing the dishwasher started taking a little pride in his work after that.

So will you be sending me a check or can I set up direct deposit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information