Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cold weather washing tips?

Hi I`m new to the forum. I just wanted to know what everyone does when it`s cold out and your car is a mess I have a new black mercedes I just want to know everyone`s solution to keeping it clean after a rain or snow thanks for he help. Jay from nj.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cold weather washing tips?

Here is a pic of the car

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s not too dirty I do a waterless wash in my garage. It takes about 30 minutes and I get great results with no scratches on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

So what would be product of choice. Thans again jay

Post Thanks / Like

Todd did a nice write-up on washing: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-use-when.html

Here are my thoughts on rinseless washes - my favorite way to wash: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-roundup.html

Here are my thoughts on waterless washes: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...waterless.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hosing a car down after a snowy slushy drive will remove 90% of what mother nature and the highway department just threw at you..

What I would suggest Jay is a pair of mid forearm rubber coated gloves, very warm soapy water, and a naturally a rinse.

Warm water not only dissolves contaminates faster and easier, it also warms your hands and that`s a big deal..

If it`s only slightly soiled, a rinseless wash is an ideal solution that can be done in the comfort of your garage...Again, warm water does all the above PLUS, warms the panel making it easier to dry..

Mike`s provided a like to some great information Todd Helme wrote an article on...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

easy, move to Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    easy, move to Florida!
    OH you`re a funny, funny guy!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a rinseless wash. I pretreat the panels with a waterless wash solution and then use my rinseless wash. I always use warm water in the winter too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I would do a rinseless wash. I pretreat the panels with a waterless wash solution and then use my rinseless wash. I always use warm water in the winter too.
    My process exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Dean rinseless wash method using ONR. If the car is really dirty a quick trip to the do it yourself car wash to get the nasty off first.

Vince @ A&D Car Care
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much follow what Mustang81 does with a couple other points. I don`t use the soap at the car wash unless I`m going to spend some time adding a layer of protection after. That limits me to either being able to get my garage to over 40-45 degrees or to using water only at the car wash. After the car wash, I do an ONR rinseless in the garage - warm water is damn near a must... Good luck with the Benz

Post Thanks / Like

I never wash my car in the winter. First, it is pointless, when you drive a mile down the road and it gets dirty again. Secondly, once salt dries on a a car, it is harmless. Washing it and getting it wet again, creates salt water...very corrosive.
    MY 6 year old car has no rust, and while it is painted black, it is mostly white from December through March. There isn`t even rust on the undercarriage. Of course it helps to get the chassis and body oil sprayed each fall which I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDGAS View Post
    Secondly, once salt dries on a a car, it is harmless. Washing it and getting it wet again, creates salt water...very corrosive.
    MY 6 year old car has no rust, and while it is painted black, it is mostly white from December through March.
    We do not see much salt here but you can see rust on certain under car parts. The majority of parts do have anti-rust coatings andpaint is the basis for good protection against rust on metal. Dried salt will get moist regularly as temperatures go up and down so not sure if I agree with the dried salt idea.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IDGAS View Post
    I never wash my car in the winter. First, it is pointless, when you drive a mile down the road and it gets dirty again. Secondly, once salt dries on a a car, it is harmless. Washing it and getting it wet again, creates salt water...very corrosive.
    MY 6 year old car has no rust, and while it is painted black, it is mostly white from December through March. There isn`t even rust on the undercarriage. Of course it helps to get the chassis and body oil sprayed each fall which I do.
    From my understanding, it is the combination of salt & moisture (even moisture in the air) that will cause rusting. Without moisture, rust cannot occur. There can still be moisture in the air when the temperature is below freezing (for the same reason a puddle evaporates below boiling).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information