Post Thanks / Like

Questions from a beginner

First off let me say that probably like so many others I thought I was pretty good at detailing my cars with my DA and polishes and waxes. I didn`t realize how much I didn`t know. I don`t intend to be a pro detailer but I would like to be able to do a good job on my two old Porsches and family and friends cars.
    Here is my first question. Two weeks ago I had a Porsche 944 painted black with single stage paint. How long before I am able to polish and wax, and what would you guys recommend for the first detailing procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions from a beginner

Depends really on what your body shop says, because each body shop uses whichever paint and paint curing process they want.

In most cases, polishing is fine, but you should wait to wax for thirty days minimum for the paint to cure.

First detailing procedure (after thirty days):

Clean interior and dress the interior

Clean tires and wheels

Wash with Citrus wash and gloss to remove any glaze the bodyshop *may* have put on the paint.

Clay

Remove Clay residue with waterless/rinseless wash. No carnauba should be in the
    waterless/rinseless wash

Depending on swirls/scratches, compound and polish paint

Wash car again

Apply Sealant like BFWD twice

Apply Wax as topper

Dress Tires and Rubber/Plastic Trim around car

If you are stressed for time:

Clean tires and wheels

Wash with Citrus wash and gloss to remove any glaze the bodyshop *may* have put on the paint.

Clay

Remove Clay residue with waterless/rinseless wash. No carnauba should be in the waterless/rinseless wash

Apply Sealant like BFWD twice

Post Thanks / Like

What type of wax do you recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    What type of wax do you recommend.
    Collinite 845 hands down. In terms of wax and price, c845 is extremely hard to beat.

If you get it, remember less is way way way more. The 4 dime sized drops can do half a hood. If done this way, you will get your protection and not waste any product

Check this out: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

Post Thanks / Like

First off let me say that probably like so many others I thought I was pretty good at detailing my cars with my DA and polishes and waxes. I didn`t realize how much I didn`t know. I don`t intend to be a pro detailer but I would like to be able to do a good job on my two old Porsches and family and friends cars.
    Here is my first question. Two weeks ago I had a Porsche 944 painted black with single stage paint. How long before I am able to polish and wax, and what would you guys recommend for the first detailing procedure.
    30 days is the standard. Is there clearcoat on it? Btw I had a 87.5 Black 951...I miss her

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it has clear coat. I found a guy that has a deal with a car prep manager from Macco. The car prep guy will prep your car away from Macco for $150. He spent two days on my car and did a very good paint prep job. Fixed dents and dings and taped the car himself. Then the second guy takes it to Macco as a dealer and they paint the car using single stage paint. So for $500 I got a pretty good paint job but because it is a backdoor deal I have limited access to the guy that prepped and painted the car. So I am not sure about the paint, only that it is single stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it has clear coat. I found a guy that has a deal with a car prep manager from Macco. The car prep guy will prep your car away from Macco for $150. He spent two days on my car and did a very good paint prep job. Fixed dents and dings and taped the car himself. Then the second guy takes it to Macco as a dealer and they paint the car using single stage paint. So for $500 I got a pretty good paint job but because it is a backdoor deal I have limited access to the guy that prepped and painted the car. So I am not sure about the paint, only that it is single stage.
    that means no clear coat, you might want to polish your baby to perfection and then think about some Opticoat. It is not designed for Single Stage, but if you get a wax like coating on your car for a year, I think it would be worth it imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briando View Post
    It is time for the Holiday road trips my friends.I`m taking my son in my new BMW to my folks and really looking forward to it. What i need to know first is what i should use to get hand gunk off the steering wheel?
    What is the steering wheel made of?

Post Thanks / Like

After following the recomended procedure above what is the best spray detailer to maintain the shine untill the next polish, sealant, wax.

Post Thanks / Like

After following the recomended procedure above what is the best spray detailer to maintain the shine untill the next polish, sealant, wax.
    Depends.... I like to use Pinnacle Waterless Wash with Carnauba (I got the gallon concentrate, not the ready to use version) twice a week. Doing so cleans the car, but also adds a very small layer of wax to preserve the inital sealant or wax you put on the car.

Twice a week is best and it takes about thirty minutes or less to do it carefully. No hoses required. No buckets required.

Thread Information