Post Thanks / Like

How to Use APC+ on Cloth Seats Please!

One of my friends just purchased a 2001 Camry as a daily driver and we want to clean up its cloth seats. I don`t have much experience with interior detailing, but heard Meguiar`s APC+ is a great performer. What is the process for using it to clean seats? I was thinking:

1) Dilute APC+ at 10:1
    2) Spray onto dirty areas
    3) Agitate with a brush
    4) Dry area using a towel

Am I missing any steps? Should I use a towel dampened with water to remove APC+ prior to drying? Unfortunately I do not have an extractor. Your advice is appreciated! (Posting to Detailing 101 since this is a basic question)

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Use APC+ on Cloth Seats Please!

Don`t get me wrong here, but if your using a APC then you need to always test it before on every car you use it on. You can go 6-1 to all the way to 20-1 to clean. I been using 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner and found great success using it. I don`t use a machine so every time I use it is by hand.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    One of my friends just purchased a 2001 Camry as a daily driver and we want to clean up its cloth seats. I don`t have much experience with interior detailing, but heard Meguiar`s APC+ is a great performer. What is the process for using it to clean seats? I was thinking:

3) Agitate with a brush

Am I missing any steps? Should I use a towel dampened with water to remove APC+ prior to drying? Unfortunately I do not have an extractor. Your advice is appreciated! (Posting to Detailing 101 since this is a basic question)
    Do you have a wet and dry vac?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post

3) Agitate with a brush

Here is how I would do it. You will need a wet vac.

If available use regular Meguiar`s All Purpose Cleaner (the green bottle) because it will produce a thicker foam with far more suds. Dilute in a bucket, and spray water to achieve a high level of rich foam.

Vacuum the seats first.

Using a brush, dip into into the suds, with just the bristles touching the water. You want to use as much of the suds as possible, while only getting the fabric damp.

Scrub the suds into the seat as much as possible.

Immediately vacuum the seat, removing as much water as possible. You really want to push the vacuum into the fabric and allow it to extract as much water as you can.

Come back with a damp cloth (just water) and wipe the seats to remove any surface solution that will wick to the top of the fabric.

Blot dry with a towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

If available use regular Meguiar`s All Purpose Cleaner (the green bottle) because it will produce a thicker foam with far more suds. Dilute in a bucket, and spray water to achieve a high level of rich foam.

Vacuum the seats first.

Using a brush, dip into into the suds, with just the bristles touching the water. You want to use as much of the suds as possible, while only getting the fabric damp.

Immediately vacuum the seat, removing as much water as possible. You really want to push the vacuum into the fabric and allow it to extract as much water as you can.

Come back with a damp cloth (just water) and wipe the seats to remove any surface solution that will wick to the top of the fabric.

Blot dry with a towel.

This is solid advice, as a side note. Blue Corral has a materiel cleaner that is OTC. I have used this many, many times with excellent results
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall seeing a really nice how to on here where the Blue Coral product was used

Post Thanks / Like

I like folex for interior carpets and fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the way I do it. You want to get as much wetness out as it can cause stains to reappear. The stain wil tend to wick to the surface again if left to wet.

Vacuum the seats first.

Blot dry with a towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use Woolite @ 30:1 for final wipe before drying. Leaves a light, pleasant smell and keeps the fabric feeling soft when it dries rather than stiff as some fabrics can.

If you get it too wet and the stain wicks to the surface again simply wait intil it is completely dry then wipe with a towel dampened with APC. Keep the moisture to the surface fabric and don`t let it get through to the cushion. It should dry fast thus no more wicking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    Thats the way I do it. You want to get as much wetness out as it can cause stains to reappear. The stain wil tend to wick to the surface again if left to wet.
    Yes. Remove as much water as possible and evenly blot the surface to finish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Vacuum the seats first.

Blot dry with a towel.
    Thank you all, especially Todd, for the input. I do not currently own a wet vac, but see that I can get a low end one fairly inexpensively.

I do have some regular green Meguiar`s APC - when diluting in a bucket to create rich foam, how much water should I fill it with/what dilution ratio should I use?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the "blow" feature on the vac to speed drying rather than drag out the shop vac. The master blaster can do it much faster especially if you have any clean up (shop vac) time.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Not to derail this, but what type of brush have you guys found to work best on cloth seats?

Thread Information