Post Thanks / Like

Swirls on the wax?

Sometimes I get haze after washing and drying the car with the ww. At first I thought I was doing something wrong or there was something wrong with the ww.

Now I noticed that only happens when the surface is preped with some waxes.

Is it possible some are softer than others?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is something that I have felt sometimes happened to me.
    I always thought it happened more if I had quite a few coats of wax on the paint. When it happened, I would usually use a paint cleaner and start over.

I`m certainly no expert, but there definitely seems to be a difference in wax hardness to me. :dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen it too. I can`t really point to a particular wax/sealant, but I have seen.

Like CharlesW I use a paint cleaner to check and see where the swirls are. If the paint cleaner gets it, then I know that it is in the wax/sealant.

If it is not, then I know that it is in the clear and I should evaluate my washing/drying tools.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve definatley seen it - I get it with sealant and sealant topped with wax - I don`t get swirls so much as long scratches that seem to appear out of no where - ;( - might be the heat making the product softer.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to clean a section with a mix 50/50 of alcohol and it cleaned the mar. So it was a case of soft wax. I then toped the rest with souveran and it came out clean aswell.

Wonder if there are also soft syntetic waxes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup I am sure there are - It may just be an issue with to thick of an application at the problem area.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a concern that I have with Wolfgang. I still need to do more testing, but the one car that has come back to me for more that I used Wolfgang on had an awful lot of swirls on it that weren`t on there when he left a few weeks prior. I became suspicious that perhaps the Wolfgang was something that was easier to swirl. If that is the case then I`m not sure I want it on my car... More testing is required I guess. It looks so freaking awesome when its on the car that I would hate to find something like this that keeps me from using it more often. Its a very valid concern I think. I`m going to test the paint cleaner trick on the next car that comes back with swirls in it. Just to see if its in the wolfgang or not.....
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that this may be a possible downside of "layering". If you only have 1 thin coat than I would think that the "swirling" of the wax would be less. I use to notice it with Mothers Cali. Gold paste but that was a couple years ago.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed it on one coat of Meguiars professional paste wax (16) over Clearkote VMHG. I washed it the next day after application, so cure wasn`t an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it happens to waxes more than sealants or waxes over sealants - spring and summer - since the heat is on the car and even a white finsih gets hot (and metal tends to hold on to heat) I would guess there is a "softening" of the wax layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    S100 swirls very easily on both of my black Harley Davidsons. That`s why I reapply it after every wash. On something the size of a bike, it`s as easy as using a QD.

Since switching over to sealants (BLACKFIRE, MPPP or NXT) from Meguiar`s #26 on my black Hemi, I have notice minimal swirls and marring. For a daily driver I think that topping a sealant with a carnauba wax is a waste of time.

The Harleys are going to get NXT after their next wash.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is the difference between P21S and S100.... Perhaps P21S doesn`t have the swirl problem quite as bad?
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    Maybe that is the difference between P21S and S100.... Perhaps P21S doesn`t have the swirl problem quite as bad?
    Interesting thought.
    It has always seemed quite strange that a company would make two brand names of a product and sell one for 40% less.
    Anyone than can afford to ride a $15,000 to $20,000 toy that will probably have another $1500 to $2000 worth of accessories and clothing with it can sure as heck afford a $20 or $30 wax.
    Or multiples thereof. I just reread Tquil`s signature.
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,

I have a John Deere tractor too. I gets neither the S100 nor the NXT. It gets straight Meguiar`s consumer line cleaner/wax twice a year. I wax just the tractor, not its tools. I`m not 100% obsessive compulsive.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information