Post Thanks / Like

Tree Sap/Deposit Acid Issue on a 2008 Audi A4 White

Had a frantic call for help with this 2008 Audi A4. Car was left underneath a tree, client believed it was a deposit/sap of some sort. Taken to the car wash, also had a "detailer" try claying and a few chemicals.

Showed up on site, wiped it down with Opticlean. Used the following:

Auto Finesse Oblitarate
    Mineral Spirits
    3M Adhesive Remover
    Clay
    Nanoskin Med Towel.

Nothing made a dent. There wasnt anything on the tip surface, so went to a mechanical approach: 3 inch Orange + Rotary/105 really level things through. Anyone else have any ideas? This car already needs a good detail with IronX/Clay. The hood is the worst, the trunk came out pretty nicely with some leftover spots. I feel the residue from the car etched into the paint immediately after 1 week.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tree Sap/Deposit Acid Issue on a 2008 Audi A4 White

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Had a frantic call for help with this 2008 Audi A4. Car was left underneath a tree, client believed it was a deposit/sap of some sort. Taken to the car wash, also had a "detailer" try claying and a few chemicals.

Showed up on site, wiped it down with Opticlean. Used the following:

Auto Finesse Oblitarate
    Mineral Spirits
    3M Adhesive Remover
    Clay
    Nanoskin Med Towel.

Nothing made a dent. There wasnt anything on the tip surface, so went to a mechanical approach: 3 inch Orange + Rotary/105 really level things through. Anyone else have any ideas? This car already needs a good detail with IronX/Clay. The hood is the worst, the trunk came out pretty nicely with some leftover spots. I feel the residue from the car etched into the paint immediately after 1 week.

Thanks all!

Given all that you tried... I would, for a shot in the dark, try IPA or WD-40. IF/when those don`t work it looks a like a paint correction is in order.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tryed laquer thinner? If that doesn`t work, hit it with some 2500, or 2k grit sand paper, if the red goes away just buff out the sanding scratches and call it good

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The only product that I have used successfully hundreds of times out here in the tree sap and artillery fungus capital of the world is Goof Off professional strength, sold in little yellow cans at Home Depot and automotive paint supply stores.

I use a Qtip to put just enough on the spot, let in penetrate for a few seconds and use same Qtip to move the sap off the spot and into the Qtip. Since the Qtip is white, it is very easy to see if you are moving anything or not.

Then I dab the spot with the other end of the Qtip, to remove anymore liquid. Some tree stuff will not come out completely and may leave a little off color area, especially if it has baked on the finish for a few hours/days, etc..

I finally gave up trying all the things listed above, the 3M`s Stoners, etc., because they dont really work on tree sap that well for me.

If the car is repainted and you know it, I would try a tiny spot out of the way with just a tiny bit of product to see if there is paint transfer first.

Tree sap/fungus things have no chance here.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

You need to allow your APC to dwell. I`ve delt with these spots before

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations all. I did the correction and started a new discussion here:
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-staining.html

Thread Information