Thread: Wearing glasses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wearing glasses

Welcome to the club!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Like many I wear glasses while performing some aspects of detailing but only where I need to see close up or reading distance. My arms are still long enough for most things under the right light but for seeing the little things you`ve described I use them too...

About 10 year for me for the reading and computer things....line now!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    You are awesome Seve!!
    I was going to search for some inexpensive bifocals because I hate taking them off all the time to see far distance and also resting them on my head and having them knocked off is getting old too!

Is it HARD TO GET USED TO BIFOCALS?

Those prices are really great ! I may have to get 2!
    dc, for your absolute best vision you actually need to have an eye exam. most people do not have the same prescription in each eye. when an optician makes prescription eyeglasses, the lens optical center needs to be placed directly in front of your pupil. everyone`s eyes are different distances apart when looking at distance/near and a lot goes into making glasses to account for this. that said, over the counter glasses have the optical centers of the lens pre-set and may not line up with your pupils. if you wear them a lot, it can cause eye strain, headaches, etc. a lot of people can accommodate for this and the otc`s will work for them without major problems. bifocals do take some getting used to, but are worth not having to take readers on and off constantly. one problem you may have when wearing them initially is steps, curbs etc. just looking down through the lower portion of the lens is magnified, so be careful when walking and looking down until you get used to them. modern progressive lenses (no line bifocals) are better and let you see at all distances, near and far. all this said, give the bifocal safety glasses a try. there is no power in the lens for distance vision, only for the bifocal segment. they are cheap enough that if you don`t like them, no big loss. i think you`ll like them. i used the olympic models in clear and tinted for motorcycle riding until my distance vision changed. now i wear prescription progressive lenses.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    Perhaps not what others here want to hear, but I have the reverse problem. I have good eyesight and often find myself pointing out holograms and flaws that I see only to come to the realization that the owner of the car isn`t seeing what I am. I am afraid that it sometimes makes me look like I am trying to take advantage of them. It`s "The Emperor`s New Paint".
    Man this happens to me all the time and I feel like prick sometimes when you point out some flaws or that something has been re-painted and the person didn`t know. Especially when a customer buys a "new" used car and they bring it by to see what you think "well before you made it into the parking lot I noticed bondo scratches on the whole side of the car and your hood isn`t lined up like it should be".... I`ve lost customers over this so I try to just keep my mouth shut and offer the detail service.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh DC I got a great Ideal for you that will probably only work on a windy day! So at the end of the detail before you go get customer put your hair up all librarian style then as their walking take the glass`s off and shake your hair out! Sure to increase tips or get you hit on lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    dc, for your absolute best vision you actually need to have an eye exam.
    Without a doubt.

I see a ophthalmologist (the doctor) every couple years. After you get older your eyes get worse (needing more correction) but then at some point they actually get better. I have progressive (no line) bifocals and are generally ok except you sacrifice some peripheral vision but also have a prescription for lenses for when using a computer (optimized for arms length). These are a must have for anyone working using a computer all day.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

dc, for your absolute best vision you actually need to have an eye exam. most people do not have the same prescription in each eye. when an optician makes prescription eyeglasses, the lens optical center needs to be placed directly in front of your pupil. everyone`s eyes are different distances apart when looking at distance/near and a lot goes into making glasses to account for this. that said, over the counter glasses have the optical centers of the lens pre-set and may not line up with your pupils. if you wear them a lot, it can cause eye strain, headaches, etc. a lot of people can accommodate for this and the otc`s will work for them without major problems. bifocals do take some getting used to, but are worth not having to take readers on and off constantly. one problem you may have when wearing them initially is steps, curbs etc. just looking down through the lower portion of the lens is magnified, so be careful when walking and looking down until you get used to them. modern progressive lenses (no line bifocals) are better and let you see at all distances, near and far. all this said, give the bifocal safety glasses a try. there is no power in the lens for distance vision, only for the bifocal segment. they are cheap enough that if you don`t like them, no big loss. i think you`ll like them. i used the olympic models in clear and tinted for motorcycle riding until my distance vision changed. now i wear prescription progressive lenses.
    Thanks Steve for all the info!

I will try the bifocals and be careful of curbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Oh DC I got a great Ideal for you that will probably only work on a windy day! So at the end of the detail before you go get customer put your hair up all librarian style then as their walking take the glass`s off and shake your hair out! Sure to increase tips or get you hit on lol.
    LOL you should have been born female!You forgot the red lipstick though!

Thanks but I like to keep my customers and work strictly professional and wouldnt resort to the librarian move for tips and other motives!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Without a doubt.

I see a ophthalmologist (the doctor) every couple years. After you get older your eyes get worse (needing more correction) but then at some point they actually get better. I have progressive (no line) bifocals and are generally ok except you sacrifice some peripheral vision but also have a prescription for lenses for when using a computer (optimized for arms length). These are a must have for anyone working using a computer all day.
    That`s exactly what the tri-focal does! They`re really great for reading items from about two feet to six feet away so they`re great for the computer and places like the grocery store. It`s a cross between the normal vision, or the upper part of your lens, and the bi-focal, or the lower portion of your lens. I don`t have the progressive as I began wearing bi-focals before progessive lenses were available and it`s difficult to switch after so many years of the lined lenses. I`d be lost without my tri-focals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    That`s exactly what the tri-focal does! They`re really great for reading items from about two feet to six feet away so they`re great for the computer and places like the grocery store. It`s a cross between the normal vision, or the upper part of your lens, and the bi-focal, or the lower portion of your lens. I don`t have the progressive as I began wearing bi-focals before progessive lenses were available and it`s difficult to switch after so many years of the lined lenses. I`d be lost without my tri-focals.
    don`t be afraid to try out the progressive lenses, they really do give you clear vision at all distances and not just near, intermediate and far as with trifocals.
    the quality of progressives has greatly improved over the past 10 years or so and most opticals will put you back into your trifocals at no charge if you don`t like the progressives. very few people will not adapt to wearing progressives. i have worn both, and feel that the progressives were much easier to get used to, and aesthetically they look better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    I wear glasses myself. In restoration I have ruined 400 dollar pairs just weeks after getting them. It can get frustrating.
    Have you ever thought about contacts? I wore glasses for almost 15 years; I have really bad eyes and one has an astigmatism. They finally came out with some lenses I could wear. I was really uneasy about putting that thing in my eye. It was very tricky at first, but it`s second nature now. I absolutely love them and hope to never go back to glasses. I can wear any sunglasses or safety glasses I want. If you don`t need bifocals, I would seriously consider contact lenses.

EDIT: I will say the one downside is extreme dust situations. If I running a tablesaw or something of the sort safety glasses are a must. It`s not fun to stop what you`re doing and have to take them out to clean the lenses and your eyes.
    2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Have you ever thought about contacts? I wore glasses for almost 15 years; I have really bad eyes and one has an astigmatism. They finally came out with some lenses I could wear. I was really uneasy about putting that thing in my eye. It was very tricky at first, but it`s second nature now. I absolutely love them and hope to never go back to glasses. I can wear any sunglasses or safety glasses I want. If you don`t need bifocals, I would seriously consider contact lenses.

EDIT: I will say the one downside is extreme dust situations. If I running a tablesaw or something of the sort safety glasses are a must. It`s not fun to stop what you`re doing and have to take them out to clean the lenses and your eyes.
    I have a problem with astigmatism and the way I focus on objects. This was great when I was working on circuit trace repairs down to .003 of an inch. It also allows me to see depth in defects in paint differently.

Downside.. it affects general vision and cannot be corrected with surgery or contacts. I would lose this ability to gain better general vision.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

don`t be afraid to try out the progressive lenses, they really do give you clear vision at all distances and not just near, intermediate and far as with trifocals.
    the quality of progressives has greatly improved over the past 10 years or so and most opticals will put you back into your trifocals at no charge if you don`t like the progressives. very few people will not adapt to wearing progressives. i have worn both, and feel that the progressives were much easier to get used to, and aesthetically they look better.
    I just might give them a shot. I`m due for new glasses and it`s certainly worth a talk with the optometrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been considering wearing glasses full time after a couple days ago I was drinking a cup of peppermint tea outside and saw a spec in it but thought it was just a stray pepermint leaf.I had already drank half of it when I had the thought to get my glasses and actually see what it was....... to my horror it was a dead nat. I almost got sick when I realized I drank bug juice!

Post Thanks / Like

That`s good protein DC. 100% Organic!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information