Post Thanks / Like

How do you touch your car?

How do you touch your car?

Most of us have heard the debate, although some of us may have not, so a quick run-thorough.

When we touch our car (washing/drying/claying/waxing/sealing/quick detailing/etc) we run the risk of inflicting some very light micro scratches on the paint`s surface. These marks are often referred to as marring. This marring can be eliminated or greatly reduced by using proper Autopian technique when touching our cars: Two bucket method when washing, using a mist of high-lubricity quick detailer spray when towel drying, and so on).

There are several trains of thought on how the best way to touch our cars:

One theory is that we should always touch the car in the same direction, usually in the direction of airflow over the paint on the horizontal surfaces (front to back/back to front) and up and down on the sides of the vehicle. The reason being is that any marring that is accidentally inflicted will be far less visible if it only occurs in one direction. For example marring that runs up and down on the doors will only be visible at when the sun is at a very acute angle to the paint, where as marring that runs across the sides of the vehicle would be more visible at any angle because the sun would catch the marring at all angles, much like a book shelf.

Another theory is that as long as proper precautions are used and proper Autopian technique is utilized marring should not occur at all, or should be so reduced as to not have a negative impact on the paint. Certain techniques (such as applying or buffing off waxes) seem to work better when tiny, over lapping circles are used for example. Also it is far more time consuming to wash the sides of a vehicle moving up and down then it is to wash it side to side and follow the natural contours of the panel.

One thing is for certain, regardless of the way you touch your car, using proper technique and high-quality ingredients will always maintain the finish of your vehicle better and keep your paint looking great for much longer periods of time.

Washing-
    Wash your vehicle using a two bucket method. Fill the wash bucket with the correct dilution of a high-quality, high-lubricity car soap solution and water. Fill a second bucket, the rinse bucket, with just water. Place a Grit-Guard ® insert into the bottom of each bucket. Use a high quality, soft, and gentle wash mitt or sponge.

Start by rinsing all loose dirt from the surface, then load your wash mitt or sponge with an adequate amount of solution. Squeeze the solution on the surface that you are about to wash, then lightly wash the paint using no pressure, allowing the mitt and solution to clean the surface. Before adding more soap into your wash mitt or sponge, dunk it in the rinse bucket (the bucket with just water) and wring it out. This will release and trap any dirt, keeping your wash solution free of any abrasive material. Continue washing in this manner, rinsing frequently!

Drying-
    Remove as much loose water as you can, as quickly as your can (to avoid water spots). Letting water run over the paint in a free stream (known as flooding) will cause the water to pool and cascade off the surface.

When it comes time to towel dry, use a soft, absorbent towel such as a Guzzler in combination with a light mist of quick detailer spray. The detail spray will introduce some much needed lubricity to the paint`s surface to avoid marring, as well as clean any light, newly formed water spots, and add a just-waxed looked.

Claying-
    When claying, use plenty of lubrication and a light touch. Inspect the clay surface frequently and fold it onto itself when it becomes contaminated. Use the least aggressive clay bar necessary to clean your surface.

Waxing-
    Apply paint sealants or car waxes using a soft foam or microfiber application. Make sure the surface is clean of any debris, dirt, or dust. Your wax applicator should stay clean and not pick up any dirt residues.

Buff off wax/sealant/polish residues-
    Use a soft, gentle microfiber towel. Inspect your microfiber towel frequently and fold to a new side often. Dirt and debris can easily become entangled in the grabby microfiber surface.

Ultimately, how you touch your car is going to be a personal preference, but using proper technique and high-quality products will always give your the best defense against causing damage to your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you touch your car?

To answer my own question, "How do you touch your car" I tend to use straight lines as necessary but I consider the direction we touch our cars almost to be like forensic evidence.

I wash my car in one direction, and then dry in the opposite (90 degree) direction. This way, if I notice any marring from the wash/dry process I can pin point the direction of the marring and make immediate changes in technique.

I love hand applying waxes, but I feel like I get a better coverage if I begin the application with tiny over lapping circles.

With quick detailing or waterless washing I will again use opposing angles so that I can can pinpoint any areas that I need to address that would be causing damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Todd.

Some nice and useful info here. It sums up the whole car care processes.

Thanks

Zaid

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Todd !!!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd-exactally what I needed-A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF crazyness IN CAR WASHING-lol

Seriously thanks-never though about the ability to determne where the damage came from. I do this aposing angles with windows so I know if the streaking is on the inside or outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Thanks Todd-exactally what I needed-A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF crazyness IN CAR WASHING-lol

Seriously thanks-never though about the ability to determne where the damage came from. I do this aposing angles with windows so I know if the streaking is on the inside or outside.
    Sadly this is just a sneak peak into the OCD detailed limits of my brain!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Sadly this is just a sneak peak into the OCD detailed limits of my brain!
    Now your scareing me.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing for sure no one should let this place touch their car: This is a must look for everyone!

This car wash is a bit too abrasive - YouTube
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    One thing for sure no one should let this place touch their car: This is a must look for everyone!

This car wash is a bit too abrasive - YouTube
    I saw it on AG first. It is hilarious. I wonder what the original creator intended to show.

Al
    The Need to Bead

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this in Youtube Bunky, and now it`s making it`s rounds in other forums lately.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunky View Post
    i saw it on ag first. It is hilarious. I wonder what the original creator intended to show.
    lol

Post Thanks / Like

To answer my own question, "How do you touch your car" I tend to use straight lines as necessary but I consider the direction we touch our cars almost to be like forensic evidence.

I wash my car in one direction, and then dry in the opposite (90 degree) direction. This way, if I notice any marring from the wash/dry process I can pin point the direction of the marring and make immediate changes in technique.

What a great idea to pinpoint which process is causing marring. I`ve used the concept on windows for years, horizontal on one side and vertical on the other to easily detect any streaks. NEVER thought to do the same on the car. Thank you!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I love hand applying waxes, but I feel like I get a better coverage if I begin the application with tiny over lapping circles.

With quick detailing or waterless washing I will again use opposing angles so that I can can pinpoint any areas that I need to address that would be causing damage.

Ok that is just brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Gracious gents

Post Thanks / Like

Gracious gents
    Simply well deserved.

Thread Information