Post Thanks / Like

When to wash/clay/polish/wax your vehicle.

A common question on most detailing forums is when do you do certain processes to the paint in order to keep it looking it the best. The following processes are considered necessary to keep your paint looking its fullest potential.

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Polish
    • Wax/Seal

Washing

Washing means removing any dirt, grime, and residues that have accumulated on the exterior of your car. Generally washing isn`t necessary for the longevity of your paint; things like dirt, grime, and even most tar isn`t going to damage paint. However washing is necessary to keep your paint looking shiny as the film of dirt and grime will dramatically reduce the shine.

Some things such as hard water spots, bug remains, and bird bombs should be removed from the paint as soon as possible as they can cause damage.

The more frequently you wash your vehicle, the easier it is to keep clean.

Vehicles that are outside are going to accumulate more filth, much faster. There is also the increased risk of damaging particulate ruining the paint.

Generally find a routine that allows you to keep your vehicle looking the way you want. I try to wash my car once a week, more often if it sits outside or is exposed to bugs, bird bombs, or rain.

Claying

Claying removes the things that stick to the paint that regular washing will not remove. As our vehicles are exposed to the elements they are subject to all sorts of things that just love to bond to the paint: iron fall out, environmental pollution, over spray, and water spots to name a few. Over time some these items may actually damage the paint.

Using detailer`s clay restores the shine that this contamination prevent in addtion to creating clean, smooth surface that allows wax or sealant to adhere for maximum benefit.

However often you clay (or should clay) will depend on how much contamination your vehicle is subject to and how often it is washed. Frequently washing your vehicle can prevent contamination from bonding to the paint`s finish or lessen the degree to which it does.

Inspect your vehicle`s surface (after washing) by feeling it, paying attention to the rear of the vehicle (trunk/rear bumper) and horizontal surfaces. It should feel smooth. You can increase your touch`s sensitivity by placing your hand in a plastic sandwich baggy and lightly rubbing over the surface. If it doesn`t feel absolutely smooth (you notice a pebble like or grainy feel) your vehicle should be clayed.

Note: We recommend waxing/sealing the paint after claying.

Polishing

Polishing is the process of smoothing the paint surface to reduce any edges or texture that cause light to disperse instead of reflect. Unlike claying, in which you use your sense of touch to inspect, polishing requires visual inspection.

If you notice any fine swirl marks, towel marks, or other paint imperfections on the surface of the paint, machine polish (paint correction or surface enhancement) will restore gloss.

The frequency of polishing will depend on how carefully the vehicle is washed (washing/drying is the number one cause of surface damage) as well as other factors like paint hardness. Since polishing paint requires removing trace amounts of the finish, careful washing techniques are key to keeping your vehicle looking great for it`s life time.

Inspect the paint in direct sunlight, looking for paint imperfections.

Waxing/Sealing

Washing removes dirt, claying cleans the paint, polishing restores/enhances the shine/ and waxing/sealing the paint adds valuable protection. The frequency of how often finish should be waxed/sealed will depend on how well the surface was prepared prior to waxing/sealing, the product used, the environment it faces (daily driver vs. garaged kept show car) and even how frequently it is washed.

When a fresh coat of wax or sealant is applied to the paint it will have a certain look and it will repel water in a very specific way. Both your eye balls and your sense of touch are excellent indicators of when the wax/sealant is beginning to deteriorate.

If you see a loss in shine or a significant change in the water beading/sheeting characteristics you have a good indication that the wax/sealant should be replenished. If you feel more drag on your wash mitt when you are washing to feel a dramatic loss in slickness then these are are good indicators.

Even premium wax/sealant products are inexpensive per application, so the best bet is put your vehicle on a realistic schedule of waxing/sealing. The added cost (a premium wax like Pinnacle Souveran is less than 2 dollars per application if applied thinnly) is well worth the added protection.

As a good friend told me, "Find what you like and use it often."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to wash/clay/polish/wax your vehicle.

Very nice "summary" of what and when.

Post Thanks / Like

Question though on the polishing. With average vehicles, we all know how thin the clearcoat can be. I imagine there is a finite amount you can polish the coating before its "gone."

And yes, I know, proper washing and drying methods reduce the need for any major polishing, but figured it might be a good question to ask.
    2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

very good info todd, thanks. question; if i wanna tpns my car do i have to remove the bfwd i have on the paint now. would crystal seal be enough to protect or is another coat of wet diamond also needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    very good info todd, thanks. question; if i wanna tpns my car do i have to remove the bfwd i have on the paint now. would crystal seal be enough to protect or is another coat of wet diamond also needed.
    No you don`t have to remove the Wet Diamond, TPnS will do this itself.

Crystal Seal is absolutely a potent stand-alone sealant. If it was in any other line it could be the only sealant offered and would likely get rave reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

How does Crystal Seal relate to other products like Opti-Coat 2.0 or Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal?

Does Crystal Seal have that "slick" BFWD feel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    How does Crystal Seal relate to other products like Opti-Coat 2.0 or Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal?

Does Crystal Seal have that "slick" BFWD feel?
    Crystal Seal is a WOWA sealant in the similar vain as Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, and Zaino Clear Seal. The application is similar, the actual product is different (Crystal Seal uses the Wet Diamond tri-polymer bundle).

Crystal Seal is slick, although not quite as slick as Wet Diamond AFPP or Wet Diamond Polymer Spray (note you can apply Polymer Spray shortly after CS to create that ultra slick finish).

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m a big believer in CS stand alone. I usually follow with spray but CS alone after a good surface prep with TPnS give outstanding results. I`m really into effective , quick solutions...CS does that perfectly.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Crystal Seal is slick, although not quite as slick as Wet Diamond AFPP or Wet Diamond Polymer Spray
    (note you can apply Polymer Spray shortly after CS to create that ultra slick finish).
    Is this combo "slicker" then BFWD AFPP alone?

Or would BFWD AFPP then BF Polymer spray be "slickest"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I`m a big believer in CS stand alone. I usually follow with spray but CS alone after a good surface prep with TPnS give outstanding results. I`m really into effective , quick solutions...CS does that perfectly.

I have to agree with you. On my wife`s pearl white suv I`ve developed a plan where I`m going to use:

1. TPnS prior to winter and coming out of winter
    2. CS once a month (two coats after applying TPnS)
    3. Poly Spray after weekly wash

We are very happy with the look from these BF products. Easy to apply leaving me more time to do other things.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Is this combo "slicker" then BFWD AFPP alone?

Or would BFWD AFPP then BF Polymer spray be "slickest"?
    BFWD AFPP is going to be the slickest because you are infusing the paint with the highest amount of Wet Diamond Polymers (which is why, compared to the other extremely fast curing BF sealants, you need to let this one cure a little bit). Topping it with Polymer Spray is only going to up the slickness!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP4449 View Post
    I have to agree with you. On my wife`s pearl white suv I`ve developed a plan where I`m going to use:

1. TPnS prior to winter and coming out of winter
    2. CS once a month (two coats after applying TPnS)
    3. Poly Spray after weekly wash

We are very happy with the look from these BF products. Easy to apply leaving me more time to do other things.

Jim
    Jim, part of our goal with BLACKFIRE was to make sure that we offered an easy-to-use solution for our customers while still maintaining a GREAT value. I am sure your car`s look STUNNING!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Even premium wax/sealant products are inexpensive per application, so the best bet is put your vehicle on a realistic schedule of waxing/sealing. The added cost (a premium wax like Pinnacle Souveran is less than 2 dollars per application if applied thinnly) is well worth the added protection.
    That is always something to keep in perspective. I know we can complain about something that costs 2x (like when comparing prices of car soaps) but unless you are in production detailing where cost is very important it is not as big a big as the price seems.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information