Post Thanks / Like

Anyone used Sonus, Pinnacle, or Wolfgang clay before?

Those are the clays that are available in this store. None of them have reviews and I was wondering if anyone on here has used them before. Blackfire Poly Clay is also available.

I used Meguiar`s Clay Kit before but was not pleased at all. It did not have the grip that I thought it would and hardly any contaminants were removed. The clay bar remained clean even though the sandwich baggy test proved otherwise that my car was filled with contaminants.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone used Sonus, Pinnacle, or Wolfgang clay before?

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Those are the clays that are available in this store. None of them have reviews and I was wondering if anyone on here has used them before. Blackfire Poly Clay is also available.

I used Meguiar`s Clay Kit before but was not pleased at all. It did not have the grip that I thought it would and hardly any contaminants were removed. The clay bar remained clean even though the sandwich baggy test proved otherwise that my car was filled with contaminants.

Yes I have used all of the above, including BLACKFIRE.

Of the clays we carry @ Autopia...

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is EXTREMELY fine and gentle to the paintwork and perhaps even the wax or sealant coating. This is the finest, and most gentle clay we carry.

Car Detailing Clay Bar - Sonus Ultra Fine Detail Clay
    Sonus Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (SFX) is slightly more aggressive than Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and will remove wax and sealant coatings (IME) yet is very safe (mar-free) for the paint.

Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay
    Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay is more abrasive then Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, as the name suggests. This unique, and underrated (IMO) clay bar quickly removes contamination from the paint while being scratch resistant.

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 grams
    Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar is a definate step up in the aggressive scale compared to the other ones. This is a super refined clay that will quickly remove contamination. The clay itself will not mark or mar paint, but because it quickly loads with contaminates (which can scratch) it needs to folded over more often.

Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay – Aggressive
    Here is a super aggressive (professional only) clay bar that will quickly power through contamination, overspray, and any removable contaminate. This grade of clay is so aggressive that the paint will require machine polishing after use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

Yes I have used all of the above, including BLACKFIRE.

Of the clays we carry @ Autopia...

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is EXTREMELY fine and gentle to the paintwork and perhaps even the wax or sealant coating. This is the finest, and most gentle clay we carry.

Car Detailing Clay Bar - Sonus Ultra Fine Detail Clay
    Sonus Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (SFX) is slightly more aggressive than Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and will remove wax and sealant coatings (IME) yet is very safe (mar-free) for the paint.

Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay
    Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay is more abrasive then Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, as the name suggests. This unique, and underrated (IMO) clay bar quickly removes contamination from the paint while being scratch resistant.

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 grams
    Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar is a definate step up in the aggressive scale compared to the other ones. This is a super refined clay that will quickly remove contamination. The clay itself will not mark or mar paint, but because it quickly loads with contaminates (which can scratch) it needs to folded over more often.

Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay – Aggressive
    Here is a super aggressive (professional only) clay bar that will quickly power through contamination, overspray, and any removable contaminate. This grade of clay is so aggressive that the paint will require machine polishing after use.
    Thank you, just what I was looking for.

For a car that has never been clayed before that I know of (bought it used - 2007 Acura TL (Honda paint)) what clay would your recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Thank you, just what I was looking for.

For a car that has never been clayed before that I know of (bought it used - 2007 Acura TL (Honda paint)) what clay would your recommend?

I would go with Wolfgang`s Elastic Poly Clay. I would also consider adding BLACKFIRE Clay Bar Cleaner & Extender to the mix because it will greatly extend the life of your clay, if you are playing on claying additional cars in the future.

Are you planning on polishing the car afterwards?

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Wolfgang`s Elastic Poly Clay. I would also consider adding BLACKFIRE Clay Bar Cleaner & Extender to the mix because it will greatly extend the life of your clay, if you are playing on claying additional cars in the future.

Yes, I will be doing a full detail after claying. The plan is wash with ONR-->IronX-->Clay car-->M105-->M205-->Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant-->Done.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd,

I have 2 questions about clay.

First question is how does the blue clay compare to the clays you listed above? I believe the blue clay from 3M, Meguiar`s, Clay Magic, etc. are very similar if not the same?

How do we tell if a piece of clay is too dirty to be used and has to be thrown away? How many times can a clay be used if I use ONR as lube and nothing else? I have been using the same piece of Meguiar`s white clay that I bought back in 2009 on my daily driver. I bought a dozen of 3M blue clay recently and intend to throw away my Megs white clay.

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    Todd,

I have 2 questions about clay.

First question is how does the blue clay compare to the clays you listed above? I believe the blue clay from 3M, Meguiar`s, Clay Magic, etc. are very similar if not the same?
    I`m not sure if they are the same, similar, etc. While all clay is sold under a patent in the US and there are only several makers of clay world wide, many clay is made to individual specifications including aggressiveness, malleability, durability, and elasticity.

Even if a clay is similar in color it can have drastically different attritubes.

How do we tell if a piece of clay is too dirty to be used and has to be thrown away? How many times can a clay be used if I use ONR as lube and nothing else? I have been using the same piece of Meguiar`s white clay that I bought back in 2009 on my daily driver. I bought a dozen of 3M blue clay recently and intend to throw away my Megs white clay.

Thanks for the help!

There are a couple of ways to tell if clay should be tossed.

• If the clay no longer is effective at removing contamination.
    • If it is impossible to expose clean clay after massaging it.
    • If foreign debris is visible in the clay.
    • If the clay begins to harden or disintegrate.

How long a clay bar lasts really depends on the level of contamination it is used on and how it is stored. If you use your clay on your garage keep beauty queen and mist it with a conditioner before putting it away it will likely last many many many years.

If you use your clay on your work truck that is often on job construction sites and parked next to a rail-road station across the street from a construction site, you will likely need several clay bars to complete one job.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed Mothers California Gold Clay Bar System was not mentioned.... Any experience or advise with this clay bar?
    2007 Subaru STi (Satin White Pearl)
    500whp / 494wtq @ 25psi
    2003 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 (Black)
    Bolt-ons
    2004 Hyundai Elantra GT (Ebony Black)
    Stock daily driver, 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd, other then the aggressive nature of the each product, I didn`t realize there was that much difference in clay bar properties. Really helps to clarify!!

Post Thanks / Like

How long a clay bar lasts really depends on the level of contamination it is used on and how it is stored. If you use your clay on your garage keep beauty queen and mist it with a conditioner before putting it away it will likely last many many many years.

If you use your clay on your work truck that is often on job construction sites and parked next to a rail-road station across the street from a construction site, you will likely need several clay bars to complete one job.[/COLOR]
    I have a block of 200g gray clay (I believe sold by Arnold to resellers) and it was unopened for several years. I finally opened the shrink wrap and seems awfully hard to kneed compared to the Mothers and Meg`s I have used. I used it once but did not seem to do anything more than Mothers.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information