Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

My Six Rules for Detailing a Black Car

My Six Rules for Detailing a Black Car

Black cars look incredible when they are perfectly detailed. The problem is that getting your black car to the point of perfection is a seamingly impossible task. After years of pursuing that elusive perfection on various black cars that I have owned, I have developed a few personal rules that I make myself follow. Perhaps these will be a help to you.

DUSTLESS - make sure you are polishing in a perfectly clean environment. It starts with a closed garage where there is less dust, pollen, etc. Make sure the garage floor is clean before you begin so that you do not kick up contaminates in the air. I shop vac my garage rather than sweep so that I do not stir dust up. Then I mop the floor using a oil based cleaner so that any remaining dust will tend to stick to the floor. I have found that doing these extra steps to have a dustless environment go along way to avoiding adding micro-scratches as I wipe polishes and waxes on and off.

DAINTY - I constantly remind myself to let the micro-fiber cloth do the work by using very gentle wipes. Make sure your microfiber is perfectly clean, detergent and chemical free. Visually inspect the microfiber for any clinging debri before you use it. Some of my worst details have come when I take a dirty rag to wipe off the final wax of otherwise almost perfect paint.

DARKEN - I have made it a personal rule to only use a product that will not lighten the appearance of my black paint. There are too many products that are really bright and shiny but tend to leave a clear plastic appearance on the paint which diminish the mystique of the black color.

DEEPEN - My fourth rule is to only use products on the paint which deepen its appearance. This means that I will stay away from products which tend to look like they sit on top of the paint. Instead I only use products on black which tend to enhance the paint by adding an oily, deep, wet look.

DUAL - Two coats! If one coat of glaze looks good, then the second coat will look better. I have found that the first coat of most products achieve about 75% of their full potential. The second coat will give you that extra 25% which makes a visual difference on black.

DETAIL - Finally, it is useless to have incredible looking paint if other parts of the car are not clean, restored, and dressed. For example, nice paint has a wow factor but nothing like when it is combined with polished glass. So, I have made it a rule. If I am going to allow myself the joy of slapping another coat of wonderful carnauba on the paint then I force myself to dress the tires, trim, wheel wells, glass, lights, etc. Do every detail, and the beauty and mystique of your wonderful black ride will be at its best.

CONCLUSION

It is easy to get lazy and to take shortcuts when caring for your ride. Other colors can handle imperfection, but with black it shows every flaw. I have not yet achieved 100% perfection on my black cars. Yet following these rules have really helped me to get much closer.

Happy detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Six Rules for Detailing a Black Car

Dear David & Friends

This reads like a great outline for an ebook. Within each rule I`d like to see suggested products and techniques for using those products.

What about lighter colors? How does one make silver and white absolutely drip?
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)

Post Thanks / Like

Good rules. Not just for black, but any car that you want to take to that next level. Great point about mopping the garage floor. That is one most people probably never thought of.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou David!

What LSP`s do you like on black?

Post Thanks / Like

fuzion for black or concours sv

Post Thanks / Like

NEVER EVER think you can skip a polishing step.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,

This is what I call required reading!

I like how easy the post is to read and understand. Keeping plenty if space between paragraphs is important as it allows the reader time to digest one section before going on to the next....

Thanks for posting some basic rules that go a long, long way!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black Vette and I have one rule: Black is not a color it`s a career.

Post Thanks / Like

i have one problem with rule no. 1.... i don`t have a garage, only a carport. whats the alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfahlc1 View Post
    i have one problem with rule no. 1.... i don`t have a garage, only a carport. whats the alternative.
    I use a Ca. car duster for dust and debris that lands on the surfaces. Just light or no pressure!

Post Thanks / Like

You must not own a black car.
    Quote Originally Posted by detailchick View Post
    I use a Ca. car duster for dust and debris that lands on the surfaces. Just light or no pressure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You must not own a black car.
    No I dont, but it works for detailing one !

Post Thanks / Like
    I will never own another black car. Thank God mine is not a daily driver. Black is not a color but a part time job.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Black will show detail process flaws so well like residue wax, trim dressing overspray on paint, etc.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the great comments and questions. I`ll do my best to reply tomorrow.

Happy detailing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information