Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips and tricks to a happy customer.

If the door windows recess into a frame, lower them slightly (to expose the top of the door windows) and clean that. Usually they get a lot of crud and some rubber marks in that area that never gets cleaned.

I agree with all of the posts saying what a great thread this has been. Thanks guys and gal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    If the door windows recess into a frame, lower them slightly (to expose the top of the door windows) and clean that. Usually they get a lot of crud and some rubber marks in that area that never gets cleaned.

I agree with all of the posts saying what a great thread this has been. Thanks guys and gal.
    i always get that but i am guilty of being a crappy window cleaner. ive tried everything but that edge has to be propper lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBigA View Post
    now there is something i can honestly say i havent thought of! im going to steal this from ya, hope ya dont mind!
    no problem! im here to share.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    how about a little air freshener, new car, leather, etc. ? i`ve had friends who were enthralled with a little new car scent inside.
    I think this depends on the car and how it smells after you are done. A classic Ferrari dressed in Conolly Leather or a new Porsche, I wouldn`t want to alter that smell. For more regular cars I usually give a spray of DP Series DeOdorizer`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I think this depends on the car and how it smells after you are done. A classic Ferrari dressed in Conolly Leather or a new Porsche, I wouldn`t want to alter that smell. For more regular cars I usually give a spray of DP Series DeOdorizer`s.
    i can`t believe a new ferrari or porsche owner wouldn`t be impressed with a little tree new car scent air freshener hanging from the mirror

Post Thanks / Like
    -door, trunk & hood jams, wiper cowl area & gas cap are part of the prep wash. if i catch one of my guys not washing out a door jam during the prep wash i bug out. also, lift the hood & do the front area & make sure the headlights are fully clean all the way round to the top.

-make sure the front grille is polished free of bug guts & cleaned fully! this is another thing thats included that is sometimes forgotten during the prep wash!

-something that should always be done, even if its a simple hand wash...polish the front windshield with #0000 steel wool or clay to remove the bug guts. you dont have to polish all of the glass but make sure that windshield is taken care of on the cuff. just do it.

-for the steel wool pads hold it between your middle 3 fingers, using your thumb & pinky finger as a guide to protect against the plastic cowl or that rubber molding towards the top of the windshield. obviously you want to leave the wipers up before doing this. since i just thought of the wipers...i used to get a box of isopropyl wipes, like what the doctors use before they prick you with a needle...those little alcohol swabs are great to clean the edge of the wiper blade. im going to pick up a few boxes of this today.

-when im doing a full in & out detail i will make sure all of my glass is polished with #0000 steel wool or some clay.

if things bother me then they have to bother my customer.

thats enough from me today. gotta get my day started!

tips & tricks to a happy boss = a happy customer (#winning)!

Post Thanks / Like

just thought of another one:

check door jams for shoe scuffs. if you find some give that a lil rub down with a lil lq thinner (gulp) or some M105 then follow with some polish applied by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who just got a really bizarre email linked to this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Am I the only one who just got a really bizarre email linked to this thread?
    no, i saw that too & i hope that wasnt directed towards me lol.
    someone deleted it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was spam and it looks like it was all deleted.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flip the latch mechanism with the door open on auto drop windows. You can then clean this section hidden easily.
    When you pull the handle BEFORE closing clean behind handle. Do this even non dropping windows.
    Also check for bugs in dome light lenses. Water spots inside exterior lenses if you blow older vehicles down.
    In between rubber flaps on doors etc.

Another is antenna masts sometimes debris is to small to see at first.

Backsides of non molded bumpers. A nicely polished vehicle will reveal the mess in the sun in the reflection. Also the undersides of horizontal louvers will reflect missed things.

Spare tire wells and tools.

Seatbelt buttons and any rear a/c vents.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    The CV boot tip is great as well as the tire tips.
    Thanks Rocket .

A general rule of thumb for me is if I cant feel the tread underneath with my fingers when applying tire dressing usually the tires are low and need to move the vehicle foward or backward some to get the missed spots .

I also always have a tire pressure gauge to measure the pressure. I dont have a portable compressor though ,that would be even better.

A couple other unrelated things I watch out for are corrosion on the battery connection and leaks of any kind like brake fluid,coolant, oil or trans fluid leaks.I dont pretend to be a mechanic but these are simple things to look out for for the customer that could be dangerous or leave them stranded .

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said at my Introduction, `There are always GREAT Threads with LOTS of good ideas to be shared`. This one is especially appreciated as it gave me some good tips for my small Detailing Business that I am starting this Spring. GREAT STUFF My thanks to all who responded to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blkcherry View Post
    Like I said at my Introduction, `There are always GREAT Threads with LOTS of good ideas to be shared`. This one is especially appreciated as it gave me some good tips for my small Detailing Business that I am starting this Spring. GREAT STUFF My thanks to all who responded to it.
    This is definitely one of my favorite recent threads as well!

Post Thanks / Like

i used to buy those little tree air freshners by the bulk for .38 cents a piece & hang 1 off the rearview mirror. i used to put them in customers cars for free. some of them smell really bad but customers used to get a kick out of that lil touch. if i got them again i would just get a couple of "flavors" that appeal to my nose & use that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information