Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to glaze

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

When to glaze

I have poured over the detailer pic library and jobs posted here, the how-to`s and the treads.... and I think I understand what glaze is all about. It fills in scratches and imperfections for a more perfect look.

1. But it only lasts a real short time correct? So you use it at a show or when you need to look really good, like a wedding?
    2. and can you seal it in so it lasts longer?

Am I missing anything?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I hate glazes. But I will use one as long as the customer knows I plan to use one. It is usually a budget thing that leads me to using a glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to glaze

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things.

A glaze is used as a filler, or something that temporary fills in minor swirls and very light scratches. Glazes are temporary, more so than waxes or sealants, although you can boost the duration of a glaze by applying your LSP over the glaze.

Personally, I don`t hate glazes, but they are definitely not my modus operandi. Glazes tend to create a love it or loathe it reaction in most detailers, and whether or not they detail for money plays a strong role in this. All things have their place, it`s just a matter of knowing the right situation.
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things.

A glaze is used as a filler, or something that temporary fills in minor swirls and very light scratches. Glazes are temporary, more so than waxes or sealants, although you can boost the duration of a glaze by applying your LSP over the glaze.
    Thank you Connor - so then I assume the "sandwich" of glaze/LSP is as good as how long the LSP lasts?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite, it`s more of an in-between. Normally the paint (permanent, hard surface) is the substrate bonding surface for the LSP, but in this scenario the glaze (temporary, soft surface) is the bonding surface. Basically, the wax or sealant is protecting the glaze, which in turn protects the paint, but the bond between the wax or sealant and the glaze is not as strong as it otherwise would be with paint due to the nature of the glaze. I hope thats not too confusing.
    Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is that it is impractical to have a DD and expect it to look like a show car at all times. Your car only has so much clear or SS paint on it and can only be corrected so many times before there is nothing left to correct. That is where a glaze comes in. You can use it for the in between polishing time to keep your car looking great.

Post Thanks / Like

It might just be me but I always use a glaze oil product after polishing if time allows.
    I mainly use Meguiar`s consumer line polish, like Ultimate Polish or DC#2 pure polish.
    I then seal it up with a sealant.

I found that this make my silver paint look good with maximum clarity.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should glaze my car, I`ve never so much as polished it in the time I`ve had it. And I do have a half empty bottle of EZ Creme that I can`t even remember the last I used. Now I just need to find the motivation.
    Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

glazes can also only do so much on really bad swirls

I did a test of a couple glazes topped by sealants over on AG and while they helped, they didn`t completely fill, and they were partially removed after one wash

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should glaze my car, I`ve never so much as polished it in the time I`ve had it. And I do have a half empty bottle of EZ Creme that I can`t even remember the last I used. Now I just need to find the motivation.

So your like the electrician who`s house burns down from an electrical short.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should And I do have a half empty bottle of EZ Creme that I can`t even remember the last I used. Now I just need to find the motivation.
    Actually, EZ Creme`s best point is it`s cleaning ability - not its filling. If you put it down with a black pad on after polishing on a swirl-free car and lay your LSP on top, you will really like the results. Replaces the IPA wipedown or post-polish wash.

Post Thanks / Like

"Grant me the power tools to correct what I can, the fillers to cover what I can`t, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have an unopened bottle of Megs #80 as well, I`ll give them both a shot and see which I like more.
    Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Im not to fond of the fil-in glazes my self, but an after polishing glaze like CG EZ Creme, which removes any left over oils and residue and makes the paint really look that extra level before applying a sealant / wax, is a fantastic added step. I personally strive for perfection in the polishing stage and get the highest possible correction with the lowest amount of paint removed. Shops that glaze cars really irks me, as normally after a bit of time everything shows back up and the customer has to start from square one.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the old days, before all the newer technology was barely even a brain-fart in someone`s imagination, the only Glaze out there was Meguiars No. 7, a gold colored, thick liquid that everyone on the show car circuits used to really amp up the shine "one last time". It had the classic Meguiars mix of oils, etc., and it really did improve the gloss - until the next car wash..

I think the newer Glazes today - like Chemical Guys EZ-Creme Glaze w/Acrylic Shine II are way better as has been posted above. I think I have read somewhere else that a few of the top detailers even use this product not to hide defects but to amp up the finished paint before applying their LSP.

Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information