Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Yet ANOTHER polisher question

1. Im thinking about getting a polisher however don`t want to spend a ton of money. I figure I would be using this maybe twice a year maybe 3 times. What can you recomend?

2. Once i get the polisher. What else do i need to buy accessory wise.

3. Are there different waxes that work better with a polisher than others?

4. How much product is applied when using one.

5. And finnaly How do you clean your pads.

I know that there is a lot of questions here but I thought it would make for a great thread for Newbie`s like myself!(maybe even make it a sticky (entry level polisher kind of thing)

Boss_429
    Focusedonsound,

Which polisher are you thinking of getting? If you don`t spend the money to get a good one, it makes the other questions irrelevant.

The cheap $40 & $50 dollar polishers really won`t do much more than apply wax. You can do as good a job by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats part of my question.

I don`t know whats available on the market and whats going to beable to get the job done.

Like i said I don`t need something heavy duty thats going to be for everyday use ... but something that will beable to last me a few years and using it maybe 3 times a year.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Focusedonsound
    Thats part of my question.

I don`t know whats available on the market and whats going to beable to get the job done.

Like i said I don`t need something heavy duty thats going to be for everyday use ... but something that will beable to last me a few years and using it maybe 3 times a year.
    Yep, I hear ya. Most people recommend the Porter Cable 7424/7336 polisher. Depending on where you buy it, it can run anywhere from $100 to $175? Plus, you need a minimum of around another $50 or more worth of accessories.

Do you want to spend that much money? Keep in mind, that it`s not a question of "heavy duty", it`s a question of buying a machine that will actually "polish"?

Post Thanks / Like
    yea thats in the price range.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t even count how many jobs I`ve done where I`ve had to fix the damage done by those el cheapo $30 WalMart buffers. If you are interested in car care then don`t cheat yourself. Get a profesional machine to do a professional job. Swirl removal is not something that a cheap WaxMaster buffer is going to handle for you. You definitely get what you pay for in this type of thing. Buffer burn and holograms are not the kind of thing you want to have to deal with very often. You`ll spend as much on a detailer to get that damage fixed as you would if you had bought the proper tool to start with.

Here is a good analogy for ya... If you were really into performance car tuning then would you buy your engine parts at WalMart? Would you buy your exhaust at Target? Do you think that the working at K-Mart who suggests the blue light special on speed chips really knows what`s best for your car? Trust us... Get a porter cable for your polishing. That is the best tool for the job and you won`t waste a penny on it. You may not use it very often, but when you do use it you will get the best results possible and won`t screw up your paint. I`ve got a thousand hours in behind my PC and it still runs like new. It will definitely be a tool that will last you a long time.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Boss_429
    Excellent! Now we can answer your questions.

1. The PC 7424 is a good choice. Here`s a link with some good info:

http://store.premiumautocare.net/po.html

2. You`ll need a good hook & loop backing plate and some pads.

3. Liquid products work better with the PC than pastes. Remember, the polisher is more for "polishes", than waxes............. although waxes can be applied (and removed with a bonnet/MF) with the PC.

4. Depends on the product. Apply a few dabs of product to the pad, press the pad on the paint surface, and spread it around a bit to get the pad lightly covered with product, and then turn on the machine at at a slow speed to spread the product around on the area you want to work, and then turn the machine up to work it (if using a polish). With a wax, you will want to leave it on a slower speed (say 3), and simply spread the product.

5. I clean mine carefully with Dawn detergent. There are several methods of cleaning pads. Some manufacturers (like Meguiar`s) recommend that you DON`T wash their pads............. however, most people do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my porter cable 7424 a few weeks ago and used last week fo rthe first time. I can tell you it is a most excellent tool and investment.

I got mine from Dwayne at PAC and then got the Meguiar`s backing plate and pad kit. I think the total came to about 185.00 roughly plus shipping. AS I heard so many times from others... you won`t be sorry getting this. Now I can say that too!
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t get me wrong im not trying to go cheepo here. But like ive said its not something ill be using like a professional would. I guess what im looking for is this.

Beginers guide on the essentials for buying a polisher. Im not trying to get away cheep. But i just wnat to know what the essentials are that I will need to get the job done properly

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Focusedonsound
    Don`t get me wrong im not trying to go cheepo here. But like ive said its not something ill be using like a professional would. I guess what im looking for is this.

Beginers guide on the essentials for buying a polisher. Im not trying to get away cheep. But i just wnat to know what the essentials are that I will need to get the job done properly
    Understood.............. you`re just trying to get an idea on prices, and how to use the PC. Here`s a great link that will be a big help:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing with the PC ... If you were to buy it at Lowes, then it also comes with a pad that can be used for sanding. If you do woodworking or minor body work on your car then the machine becomes dual use. You will not be sorry with the PC!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    Understood.............. you`re just trying to get an idea on prices, and how to use the PC. Here`s a great link that will be a big help:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

COOL this is what im looking for. I just wanted a generic ... ok this is what you need to get started thanks for the help guys....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I`m just curious as to what makes the PC so great. I picked up a 6" Coleman RO buffer @ Wal-Mart (Hey, it was only $15) that does 4000 OPM, and seems to do a great job applying wax. What makes it so much worse than the PC? Is it because it doesn`t have variable speeds? It just seems like the specs are "close enough" that it should be OK for things like swirl removal and light polishing as long as you don`t go overboard on the pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    newbie04:
    Lexus VS Toyota Quote: It just seems like the specs are "close enough" that it should be OK....
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It won`t be ok for swirl removal. A $15 dollar buffer is fine for applying wax. That is something that all a buffer does is save time. Polishes that cut the clear coat need to be applied with a machine that has variable speeds because you don`t want to do the whole thing on setting 3 or setting 5. You have to start at one to begin the breakdown of the polish and then kick it up to work the abrasives. For swirl removal you need more control over the speed of the pad. Buffers are great... for buffing. If you want to polish your car then you need something with the power to cut the clear coat. Its not like sanding balsa wood. Clear coat is a tough nut to crack and its not a job you want to try doing by hand. The right tool is critical. You`ll never see a professional doing swirl removal with a single speed buffer from WalMart.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information