Post Thanks / Like

Need some help with some old cars

In the next few weeks I have a few cars to detail.(My brother is a Tech for Ford and does all the work on my car for free so I need to pay him back some how and My mothers car is in desperate need of detailing. And lastly My sister-In-Law Just bought a 2005 Ford Escape in silver)

My firs project is my moms 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It has 90k mi on it and I don`t think its been washed or waxed since 1987. If you Rub your hand over the paint it does not feel good (Ive felt sand paper smoother than this car) Its an emerald blue color with a simalar interior color. Im not looking for profection but more on the lines of Protection. Other than the paint you would never know the car was an 87 runs and preformes like the day it rolled off the lot.

Project #2 1995 Ford Explorer. Has about 130k on it White with a tan lower. Paint isn`t that bad but looks can be deceiving compared to the oldsmobile the paint on this car is like glas (i think just starting with some clay bar will be all it takes)

Progect # 3 . 2005 Escape 2 weeks old ...

The reason I am posting all of this... is I want some recomendations on the steps to which I should use to clean and detail these cars.

Thanks in advance for the help Also any tips are much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Olds you want to wash with dish soap I don`t use these offen but in this case you want to remove all the crap you can. Then use clay to get the rest of the crap off the car. I`m alos guessing that this is single stage paint meaniung no clear coat as in newer cars.
    The way you find thisd out is take som polish and rub the ar, if the color comes off on the rag its single stage.
    Since it sounds like you are doing this by hand, I`d use a paint cleaner to start Megs has good products fro this. Then a polish to bring back the luster Poorboys P-w-C would be great then top with a sealant for protetion.

The 95 and 05 have clear coats so wash with a good car soap, then clay, PB P-w-C would be a good choice at this point, follow up with Sealant. That will protect your cars well and not take you all day on each.

On the inside get a decent APC wipe down every thing making sure that you spray the towel then wipe. On the leather Lexol should be avaiable in your area. To protect you can find a decent dressing for the cars at Pepboys or the likes of that.

If you plan on ordering protect threw this site Dwayne or Steve at PB can walk you threw evreything that you are going to need!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response as I am probably going to start on the Olds this afternoon when I get out of work.

My main concern is the olds its in desperate need of some help. Back in its day it was a beautiful car. However the paint was neglected for the past few years. I hope with this detailing I will beable to bring it back.

I do have a polishing machine (Craftsman)

However I don`t know what to get in the form of replacement pads. I have used this in the past with only the lambs wool and have had much success but I know there are much better products available. Some assistance there would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Olds a wool pad will cut big time, but that`s what you want. I`d get some light cut compound like 3M, keep a spray bottle of water and a clean towel handy, after each use spray a little water on the wool pad then wipe clean with the towel. You will have a heavy resduie on the car, wipe off with QD spray if you are having troubles getting it al off. Then I`d attack with polish to get the luster back into the car. What you need to do is take a layer of paint off single stage paint si great to work on because there is always good looking paint under the oxdation

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Beemerboy,

Your help once again is very much appreciated. Its great that you can ask questions (stupid or not) and get a respectful answer rather than flaming like other forums.

One last question for you this is the process that I plan to use. Now please mind you I only have Meguires products. If there are any other products you will need to assist me in exactly what I should get.

Step 1. Wash the car using some dish detergent.
    Step 2. Clay bar
    Step 3. 3M Light cutting compound (where can I find this)
    Step 4. Meguirers polish
    Step 5. Meguirers Gold Class #26

Also do you have any tips for the Glass? It seems to have the same kind of oxidation to it. (Can I use the clay bar on the glass?)

Post Thanks / Like
    3M can be brough at about any decent paint suppy store or threw this site I would guess.

On the widows I would use the polish to lift what ever is on them do this at the wash stage so you can wash off. Or look for a window paste to lift that you can find that at any auto parts store

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information