Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirl removal...again

Allright, I am still waiting on Ded. to Detail to release their edge pads for the PC, so I havent bought one yet. Thus I will be doing this by hand.

The car is extremely clean, its my Mustang, and while it hasnt seen a good bath in awhile, its not dirty according to most of the common people I talk to (even though I think its filthy). Nevertheless, the car is covered in swirls. They are not major, but definately their and its annoying the heck out of me.

Realistically, should I try to hit it with SSR2 and spend about an hour working the entire car? Or should I save myself the work and forget about removing them by hand?

Thanks,
    Dan
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just my opinion. Swirl removal by hand is a lot of work. It seems to be one area where the RO is well worth the money.
    After using my PC for swirl removal, I can`t imagine trying to do it by hand again.

Charles

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know, and I seriously want my PC, but I want those Edge pads and I hate to spend the money on a pad setup just to spend it all over again. So what do you think, are the results I am going to acheive really worth the effort?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    So what do you think, are the results I am going to acheive really worth the effort?
    :dunno
    That`s a question that you need to answer for yourself.
    Before the PC, I did the swirl removal by hand for a lot of years. Usually with Meg`s #9 and it was a lot of work for less results than I now can get with the PC.
    If the swirls are bad enough to really bother you, I would go ahead and do it by hand. I know the feeling of having something that you know is not quite right and not being able to correct it. That`s one of the problems with trying to keep a vehicle really nice.

I have not used Poorboy`s SSR line, but I have read good things about it and seem to remember some people feeling it was user friendly for hand application. Probably still won`t be easy, but less work than the #9.

FWIW, when I hand applied #9, I did it with a terry applicator. Seemed to be easier to get the finish I was wanting.

Just another thought. You could go ahead and buy your PC and use the polishing pad that comes with it for your swirl removal project. The screw-on pad, IMO, isn`t all that bad, I have been using mine for #9 for about 15 months, now. It is still what I use for #9, even now.

Charles

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tass,

Which edge pads are you talking about the edge 2000 system or the regular pads. B/c the regular pads are already out. About the getting swirls out by hand:dunno ...ebpcivic can chime in on this he used to do everything by hand.
    It`s just a little to much work for me tho:-p
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that if you are using SSR2 that results will be fine by hand. It will be a little more work, but poorboy`s proucts are so easy to work with.

I know that you know Tass, but for the benfit of others reading in the future...

Be sure to apply SSR2 with a folded 100% cotton towel folded into the shape of your hand. Apply in a back and forth motion with enough pressure to allow the product to break down properly. Remove with MF. At least that is how I like to use SMR by hand.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    I think that if you are using SSR2 that results will be fine by hand. It will be a little more work, but poorboy`s proucts are so easy to work with.

I know that you know Tass, but for the benfit of others reading in the future...

Be sure to apply SSR2 with a folded 100% cotton towel folded into the shape of your hand. Apply in a back and forth motion with enough pressure to allow the product to break down properly. Remove with MF. At least that is how I like to use SMR by hand.
    :yeah
    couldn`t have said it better myself
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Tass- When in doubt try it. It won`t kill your car to do a 2x2 section in a less conspicuous spot like lown and near front or rear. See if they come out with Pro Polish first though to save a step! If you like the result and it wasn`t too much work, move on. If it was PITA, wait for the PC. If the single swirl-free spot bothers you too much, rub some dirt on it...
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well since I was originally going to do this to clean up my car before prom, I think I will skip it all for now. I have a plate full of other crap I could be doing tommorow morning. Plus, I am going to prom by myself (no date), so there is no girl to impress.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    I am going to prom by myself (no date), so there is no girl to impress.

you need help from the Fuzz
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Naw, he`d grow a mullet and take his sister.

Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, the girls around here don`t fit me anyways. God knows I need to study for these AP tests. Free credit hours are awesome!

Thread Information