Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let`s discuss how strong SSR3/yellow pad/PC combo is

I just did my first full detail to a 2001 Accord.
    It had real bad etched waterspots on the horizontals and bad scratching on the trunk lid.
    I did 2 passes on the trunk lid with SSR3/yellow cutting pad/PC on speed 6.
    It looked better (and by the way did not haze/micro-mar from what I could see) but the water spots (etched I`m sure) and heavier scratches were still there. I followed up with SSR2/yellow pad and then topped it with EX-P.

Anyway, it seemed, since there was no hazing/micro-marring that this SSR3/yellow pad combo is not as aggressive as I first thought... Although it might not be best to use it all the time.

Anyone else use that combo much? What is your opinion? I`m guessing if it doesn`t take care of the defect, then a rotary would be required.

Also, how many people go stright from SSR2 to a wax/sealant? After SSR2 (to me) it doesn`t look like SSR1/PP makes a difference at all?
    Last edited by wifehatescar; 04-13-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a before
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    And after (sorry for the size)

Post Thanks / Like
    last one showing the trunk lid kinda

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Steve........Just an FYI though - If this a paying customer or any others than your own, you may want to blur out the license plate......and.........is a that a job description (plate #)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did get haze with SSR3/Meg`s red cutting pad so I think it`s more of the pad you use than the product. That was at 5.5
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    How strong is SSR3 how much stronger then DACP. ?

Nice work
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen
    How strong is SSR3 how much stronger then DACP. ?

Nice work
    SSR2.5 is supposed to be like DACP so SSR3 would be a bit more abrasive than that. I can`t say 100% as I don`t have SSR3.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that SSR 3 compares to Meguiars #84 Compound Power Cleaner.
    I used SSR 3 the same as you guys (yellow Meg`s Pad) to try and remove some stuborn scratches.
    It removed the scratches and did leave some hazing, which in my opinion is perfectly acceptable because of the work the product was doing. It also left some micro scratches (for lack of a better term) probably because the PC didn`t have enough action to break down the product completely.
    Here is what worked extremely well for me to remove those micro scratches ......
    I Used SSR 2 and a Meg`s Cutting pad working the product in on about 5 and then as the product started breaking down I cranked up the speed to 6. The micro scratches came out and the hazing turned into a mark free fantastic shine. I then followed up with SSR 1 on the yellow pad and WOW.
    I also used SSR 3 to remove some 1500 grit wet sanding marks followed up with the SSR 2 as above. Awesome results (SORRY NO PICS)
    It might be me but the SSR 2 and the cutting pad combo came real close to duplicating the results of a rotary.
    Next time I might just start with SSR 2 and the Cutting Pad
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    People refer to product breaking down. How do you tell when product is breaking down?

Brian

Western PA where Spring is beautiful...both days.
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you get some sun, please repost some of the defects that are left. I`ve got a black beast that I`m betting have etched H20 Spots in it too and would be interested in how far you were able to get with your approach (I definitely don`t use a rotary).

The pics above look great. :cool

Can`t wait for your response to Elortt`s question. :LOLOL
    Don`t cry honey. I wasn`t polishing the car again. I swear! :naughty

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it was my mother-in-laws car, she`s in DE, I just visited there from MI a week ago.
    P-STAR sort of refers to my wifes old horse "Pockets". I think it`s kind of a stupid plate though
    In the future I will block the plate though

The car def has the water spots still there, on close inspection they *look* like they ate through the clear though so SSR3 won`t help that...maybe since the car is dark green any marring SSR3 caused was not apparent. I didn`t even bother to use SSR1 after the SSR2 and cutting pad it looks good to me (and to the old MIL )

Thought I would mention too that I was not careful about getting the SSR`s on black trim and it did not stain any of it. I followed up with TR though it looked good (lower black trim/mud guards/wheel wells)
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by elortt
    Looks good Steve........Just an FYI though - If this a paying customer or any others than your own, you may want to blur out the license plate......and.........is a that a job description (plate #)
    I don`t understand the need to blur out the license plate. Why is that adviseable? Thanks.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO nowadays alot of info can be obtained just off of a simple license plate number, license plate--> drivers license----> home address-----> social security #...etc.... NOT THAT I THINK ANYONE ON DC WOULD DO THAT!!!! But would you put up your social security number? Alot of images that people put up on sights and forums can be copied, just take a look at google images, I would guess that alot of the people pics that are on there, are there with the actual person having no knowledge of it. Also if you are doing business with a customer and you post their car pics, and in the way off chance something does happen then you are liable (unless they sign a waiver, maybe?). Then again maybe I am just overly cautious....... :dunno

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you want a stranger`s social security number? I work for a law firm that deals with consumer protection and identity theft. Most Americans have such messed up credit that I don`t think I would want to even try ripping off some schmo`s SSN for kicks. You run the risk of going to prison for identity theft and you might have stolen an identity that is more messed up than your own. lol If people want to steal my identity then there are a lot easier ways to do it than going off my license plate. For less than the cost of tracking you down with your plate number, all I need is your name and state and I can tell you what your social security number is. The internet is a mighty thing..... I could probably hand you your age and address right now for free with a very simple search.

I`m not saying that its not good to be cautious, but with my experience there are a lot easier ways to get what you want with a lot less risk than with a license plate number. Anyone who would know how to do it with plate #s would be able to do it the other way. Its not as easy as Gone in 60 Seconds makes it look to track people down.

Anyway, back on topic... The car looks really nice. I`m usually not a fan of black cars in low light because it doesn`t really show anything. However, in this situation you posted before and after pictures that I find very helpful. Black (or really dark colors like that accord) reflect in any light no matter how dirty or swirled or oxidized they may be. You posting before and after pictures in similar lighting shows how much better it can reflect when polished properly. That is very nice to see. :bigpus You very nearly got the pictures from the exact same angle and exact same lighting. Very impressive indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information