Even though I have only two vehicles and both are in near perfect condition, I still have the urge to buy and use a rotary buffer. Maybe not a wise decsion because there haven`t been many scrathes or swirls that I haven`t been able to remove with my pc.

If I do buy a rotarty buffer, I think that I would prefer a Makita 9227 because I like the 6.6 pound weight and I have other Makita products that I have been very satisfied with. However, Classic Motoring Accessories has a very good price on a Porter Cable 7428 rotary buffer (8 pounds). The buffer is $174.95, a six inch backing plate is $16.95, and shipping is $17.95, minus a $25 rebate from Porter Cable for a total cost of $184.95. I have dealt with CMA before and am very satisfied with the service I have received. I can buy a Makita 9227 from Coastal Tool for about $185 including shipping. Then I`d have to buy a 6 inch pad from someone else.

Cost is not a major factor at all. (The joy of having a grown child.) I just don`t like to waste dollars.

How does the Porter Cable buffer compare with the Makita buffer? I have been very satisfied with my Porter Cable dual action polisher.

If I do buy a rotary, I`m not heading to the junkyard for an old car hood. My wife already thinks that I am nuts. I`ll start right in polishing her silver Tacoma, not my black Hemi. But still I had better not mess up.

According the folks at CMA, if you have had experience with a pc and if you start using the rotary at slow speeds (1000 rpm`s) you should be OK. I know about the edge precautions and taping. I also know that the 6.5 inch foam pads are easier to control for a beginner.

I`d probably start using a rotary with Meguiar`s #82, a 6.5 inch polishing pad and the speed limited to 1000 rpm`s. As I gain experience I would go to a more aggressive pad, DACP and higher speeds when needed.

Does this make sense?

Tom :cool