Thread: Cutting Pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Pad?

I just finished using the Meg`s yellow polishing pad with SSR2 on a setting of 5. I worked it for a good 7 to 8 minutes anyway - just the one back door.

The swirls, or perhaps more like scratches are bad, but this lightened them up quite a bit and a real improvement...

however,

I`m wondering if maybe I should use the Meguiar`s red cutting pad with the SSR2? And if so, at what setting? 5?

Here`s a couple pics to give some idea of what I`m dealing with
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    another

Post Thanks / Like
    one more

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used SSR 2 on the Meg`s cutting pad and it worked great. I started out at about 4 1/2 to spread the product and then cranked it up to 5 1/2 - 6. It left no marks or swirls ... just a great shine. Also, I worked the product till it was almost gone on the surface and then wiped of the remaining film with a MF.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    oh, and if I use the cutting pad with the pc - am I going to be ok? I mean, will I remove the clear coat? How long should I work the pc if in fact I would use the cutting pad?

Also, can I expect to get these completely gone?

Post Thanks / Like
    wow - that was fast kimwallace - thank you much. I am in fact right in the middle of trying to get this done today!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kee..how did it get that bad :dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just stay away from the ridges and edges of the panels. That is where the paint will come off the quickest. Just keep an eye on what you are doing and I think it will be fine. The SSR 2 seems just abrasive enough to remove the swirls that you are looking at. If it doesn`t it might be time to break out the rotary.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I dunno. This is the first time for me to do this guy`s Yukon. I`m not sure what he used to wash and dry it with, but I`m guessing brillo pads and potato sacks! Oh and the paint was so dirty. When my wife and I washed it last night, the mitts weanted to just drag across the paiint. If it`s ever been waxed even once I would be surprised. I don`t believe it has. In fact I think he mentioined it once that it never has been.

I`ve got the back doors done now and it is much improved. But I`m just not going to be able to get them completely gone - not me anyway.

But oh man I love this pc!!!!! I`ll be able to get the cob-webs out of my truck and the wife`s car for sure! This is most cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    Just stay away from the ridges and edges of the panels. That is where the paint will come off the quickest. Just keep an eye on what you are doing and I think it will be fine. The SSR 2 seems just abrasive enough to remove the swirls that you are looking at. If it doesn`t it might be time to break out the rotary.
    Thanks again. Will do. I want to do this right. I`m learning and don`t mind admitting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are among the worst swirls that I have ever seen posted on a forum. Your work is cut out for you. It looks like a job for a rotary buffer to me.

That said -- Have no fear using a pc with the Mequiar`s burgandy pad. Watch the edges a bit. I had some pretty bad swirls that required me to use the burgandy pad and 3m Perfect It-II rubbing compound. This is a mild/fine compound. I followed the Perfect It -II with Meguiar`s #83 and #82.

Good luck!

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom! I thought they were bad, but from Steve`s and your comments, I guess I was right - they are bad!! I`m going to post some before and after pics in another thread tomorrow. But what I`ve done already, pulled out in the sun, they are still there - but I can see some improvement.

Boss_429
    kee,

You might have bit off more than you can handle on that one. Those swirls look serious. I would recommend a rotary buffer, and some SSR3, or Meguiar`s Compound Power Cleaner, or Heavy Cut to start with.

Good luck on that one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss,

You are so right! Fortunately for me, this guy doesn`t even expect much at all. The improvement alone though in the clarity, reflection and cleanliness of the paint is so much better than what it was. And the swirls are lighter, but still so bad. These were almost more than just swirls, there are also so many scratches too.

Of course, since I don`t have a roatary and I wouldnb`t use one anyway, this is just going to have to do. But this guy just doesn`t even seem to care that much. To be honest, I`m not sure why he wants me to do this, except that he knows I`m into this now. He wants me to detail it again in the fall too.

And did I mention that his clearcoat is peeling some on the roof on the overhead brakelight?

Well, I am finished for today. I got the thing clayed and completely gone over with the SSR2. The wife worked on the interior. We`ll finish up tomorrow and I`ll post some pics.

Thread Information