Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish Range Comparision Chart

To my knowledge this is the first chart which offers a `range` of working time which accounts for some of the variables associated with machine polishing.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A much more better and accurate Chart , then the other ones I have seen at other places..........Thanks Todd:clap:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect! I was looking for something like this!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thansk Todd for this chart! :thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done.........

Post Thanks / Like
    another one for the polishing info binder...thanks todd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great chart todd would like someone at TID to print these out and enclose them in plastic .Would be great to hang these in the garage for reference.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for chart:thumbup:. This is the kind of information that keeps me glued to TID. I would gladly purchase a laminated version, say, 11"(W) X 17"(H) but also realize that the manufacturer`s may not approve...

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Chart! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Post Thanks / Like
    Really good information. Looks like I`d better pick up some 105/205.

Post Thanks / Like
    This chart answers one question Mike Phillips did not answer directly. If you are not getting results from M205, UC is a better next step before M105 if you have UC around. Mike had said just use M105 but stop without letting it fully work which I think would be hard to judge since M105 works quickly for me.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd,

Nice chart very easy to read and understand. Perfect for amateurs like me.

Are these the results of your testing? I was under the impression that M205 had less cut than SwirlX. I`m going from the chart over at MOL.

I understand how the SMAT vs. DAT works (to a point) I am guessing that the cut number is controlled by the size of the abrasive in the SMAT technology.

Right now I use M205 and a Meg`s 2.0 Black finishing pad on my black Camry every few months to remove light swirls and towel marks. I love the finish M205 leaves. However, If SwirlX does indeed have less cut, I can get the same results using it with a black pad. This can maybe save me some cc over the years to come

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
    Todd,

Nice chart very easy to read and understand. Perfect for amateurs like me.

Are these the results of your testing? I was under the impression that M205 had less cut than SwirlX. I`m going from the chart over at MOL.

I understand how the SMAT vs. DAT works (to a point) I am guessing that the cut number is controlled by the size of the abrasive in the SMAT technology.

Right now I use M205 and a Meg`s 2.0 Black finishing pad on my black Camry every few months to remove light swirls and towel marks. I love the finish M205 leaves. However, If SwirlX does indeed have less cut, I can get the same results using it with a black pad. This can maybe save me some cc over the years to come

Thanks,

Mike
    Here is my thought regarding your concern given that SMAT polishes are very dependent on work time for cut. The longer they are worked the more paint is removed. When we speak about cut regarding SMAT polishes we are really talking about the rate of paint removal vs. the amount of paint removal.

So M205 and SwirlX might have a different rate of removal, thus a different cut, but M205 is more likely to be applied via a professional machine with more aggressive techniques vs. SwirlX which would is more likely to be applied by hand. Thus when used in the most likely mannor, M205 should likely have a faster rate of defect removal. Does that make sense?

As far as what makes the polishes more abrasive, I am not privy to that information but I can say this. The abrasives in M105 are extremely fine, much finer then what you would have in most finishing polishes. I believe the cut (or rate of cut) is more affected by factors such as the lubricants used vs. different abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    Here is my thought regarding your concern given that SMAT polishes are very dependent on work time for cut. The longer they are worked the more paint is removed. When we speak about cut regarding SMAT polishes we are really talking about the rate of paint removal vs. the amount of paint removal.

So M205 and SwirlX might have a different rate of removal, thus a different cut, but M205 is more likely to be applied via a professional machine with more aggressive techniques vs. SwirlX which would is more likely to be applied by hand. Thus when used in the most likely mannor, M205 should likely have a faster rate of defect removal. Does that make sense?

As far as what makes the polishes more abrasive, I am not privy to that information but I can say this. The abrasives in M105 are extremely fine, much finer then what you would have in most finishing polishes. I believe the cut (or rate of cut) is more affected by factors such as the lubricants used vs. different abrasives.
    Yes, that makes sense. I will continue with M205 since I machine polish.

So my guess about size of abrasives is most likely a bad guess. I`m not sure where I got that idea, but it seemed sorta logical.

Thanks,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EclecTech View Post
    Thanks for chart:thumbup:. This is the kind of information that keeps me glued to TID. I would gladly purchase a laminated version, say, 11"(W) X 17"(H) but also realize that the manufacturer`s may not approve...

Jack
    Thank you Eclec Tech, I have a bunch more in the works

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information